Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

18 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

Hard to paint at the orthodontist's office.  ::P:  The girls did spot a smouldering fire in some bark mulch by the road from the window, so that was exciting.  I'm guessing some idiot threw a cigarette butt out their window.  :grr:  It was all taken care of, but on a highway it would have been a bigger problem.

Mulch is also known to spontaneously combust. For real. All it takes is for a big pile of mulch to get wet and then for it to get hot outside. Heat from decomposition builds in the pile, until it hits the flash point and the pile goes up in flames. It's also why you don't put away wet hay, because it does the exact same thing.

Not saying that's what happened, because I'm guessing it was just a roadside planter or something, but it's something that a lot of people don't know about mulch. I remember a friend's neighbor had a truckload of mulch delivered for a big landscaping project he was doing, and then he didn't get around to it. A couple days later the whole pile was up on flames and he was lucky it wasn't closer to his house because he was at work when it went up.

• Like 9

• Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I backed this KS for these really neat looking folding teaspoon and tablespoon set. It is over a year and a half late. Now I know that with KS delays are possible, if not expected. My big problem with this is that they have been doing updates every 3 months... I'd ask for a refund but I used a no longer valid debit card (fraud issues). So not sure if that would be a problem or not.

• Sad 4

37 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Mulch is also known to spontaneously combust. For real. All it takes is for a big pile of mulch to get wet and then for it to get hot outside. Heat from decomposition builds in the pile, until it hits the flash point and the pile goes up in flames. It's also why you don't put away wet hay, because it does the exact same thing.

Not saying that's what happened, because I'm guessing it was just a roadside planter or something, but it's something that a lot of people don't know about mulch. I remember a friend's neighbor had a truckload of mulch delivered for a big landscaping project he was doing, and then he didn't get around to it. A couple days later the whole pile was up on flames and he was lucky it wasn't closer to his house because he was at work when it went up.

Yeah...  Dry and cloudy day after a bunch of dry and sunny days.  Somehow doubt it was spontaneous, but that is good to be aware of.

• Like 5

Jack is wailing and gnashing his teeth right now...  :grr::devil::grr::down::zombie:

Not only did he waste the entire night sifting through EvilBay auctions for minis, but he also found not one but TWO of the Ral Partha 11-0XX AD&D Adventurers blisters (11-027 Druids, of which I have the male, and 11-029 Elven Thieves) still in the blister packs for starting bids of $13.99 each with free shipping.

Both blisters are ridiculously hard to find at all, nevermind still in the package at a reasonable price...

Both are ending in about two hours and twenty minutes, and Jack can't afford to throw money at them right now. He's very tempted to place a $13.99 high bid on each of them on the off chance nobody notices them before they end, but Jack already did that for two of the Ral Partha Dragonlance Villains this week - which cost him about a quarter of the overtime money from working last Saturday.

• Sad 8

53 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

Yeah...  Dry and cloudy day after a bunch of dry and sunny days.  Somehow doubt it was spontaneous, but that is good to be aware of.

When I say a big pile, I mean it's usually got to be a couple feet deep. Those will stay wet in the middle for a couple weeks. And those are what usually go up in flames. Sometimes smaller piles will go up, but it's rarer because they dry out faster and stop rotting. It's the rotting that creates all the heat required for the fire to start.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Unruly said:

When I say a big pile, I mean it's usually got to be a couple feet deep. Those will stay wet in the middle for a couple weeks. And those are what usually go up in flames. Sometimes smaller piles will go up, but it's rarer because they dry out faster and stop rotting. It's the rotting that creates all the heat required for the fire to start.

Landscape bark doesn't decompose that fast.  And at a depth of just a few inches, I think we're talking about different situations.  It's still a good caution for anyone who might be thinking of doing their own composting.  

But after hearing about Buglips' deck catching fire from a shattered patio table, I'm feeling a little edgy about fire risk.  We tend to get a lot of summer wild fires here on the west coast, too, and it sounds like some of the big ones last year were set deliberately.  Plus some people ignore campfire bans, etc.  It's a little terrifying when you basically live in an urban forest.  

• Like 8

Trying to feel bad that I purchased a bunch of PDF floorplans for the camp out game, which are kind of useless for the pirates game it has changed to. (I thought that Sam might be behind the  e-mails, but no - it was Dain and Iain.)

But, well, now that I have the toy furniture, I know darned well that the floorplans will be used, one way or another. Plus... they were on sale, and I got them for under $2 each, so even if I could make myself feel guilty, I couldn't make myself feel very guilty. ::P:

Kind of nifty - they were originally designed for use with Hero Quest - so, no furniture, doors, or windows, making the furniture and doors that I have more useful.

I'll just use them later than planned.

Torchlit_1-300x151.jpg

Image is from one of Heroic Maps free samples. Most of what I bought was in their Wardenhale setting - it will be seeing use for The Blight. An older set - but close to what I want.

wardenhale_main.jpg

One of the better features are the black and white GM versions of the maps - which I used as the GM's keys for the game that will not be run this weekend....

The Auld Grump *EDIT* Megan tried to warn me.... but at least I will be running a game this weekend, just not the one I planned on. (Sort of - I was able to salvage a good bit of the scenario.)

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 9

HeroQuest maps? You don't say... Hmmm...  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

Okay, read a little more than a chapter of my homework, replied to a topic on the question thread. Really not sure how I'm gonna get 8 substantial posts in this week with only 2 topics... I guess I'll figure something out. Dishes done. Time to walk the dogs. 

Tonight's music: Bach Cello Suites

(you should check out the first comment! :lol:

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Five hours since the last reply? Everybody was busy painting, right? RIGHT?

Setting up the new lights and going out to buy bacon counts right?

4 hours ago, Unruly said:

Rock, Paper, Shotgun. They went from a nice look to a godawful sea of white with green, hot pink, and a few splashes of purple. The site opened in 2007, I've been reading since 2009, and aside from some relatively minor cosmetic changes that eventually just blended all together because they were so small, they haven't really changed anything until now. The only previous change that really stands out is the logo change, and even then it wasn't a bad or jarring one.

But this time they've been redesigned to look like Eurogamer looks now. And I guess that's because last year they were bought by Eurogamer. And I guess their new corporate overlords think it's a good idea for all of their websites to look identical. Because having 20 websites under your banner that all look the same, are generally feeding the same type of content to people, and that are supposed to each have their own personality to separate them from the others is a smart move, I guess? I'm no MBA, but that just seems dumb to me.

Sounds like what happened to my oldest stomping grounds, OCN.  Wikia bought them out, did a few changes, then sold them off to some random Canadian investment company that then promptly made a rather vibrant community into one that, uhm, well, is like 20% the size now.  And they did the terrible interface thing too, but sadly brought it down to vBulletin 3.2 or something like that, so an ancient terrible look >.>;;;

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

48 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Trying to feel bad that I purchased a bunch of PDF floorplans for the camp out game, which are kind of useless for the pirates game it has changed to. (I thought that Sam might be behind the  e-mails, but no - it was Dain and Iain.)

But, well, now that I have the toy furniture, I know darned well that the floorplans will be used, one way or another. Plus... they were on sale, and I got them for under $2 each, so even if I could make myself feel guilty, I couldn't make myself feel very guilty. ::P:

Kind of nifty - they were originally designed for use with Hero Quest - so, no furniture, doors, or windows, making the furniture and doors that I have more useful.

I'll just use them later than planned.

Torchlit_1-300x151.jpg

Image is from one of Heroic Maps free samples. Most of what I bought was in their Wardenhale setting - it will be seeing use for The Blight. An older set - but close to what I want.

wardenhale_main.jpg

One of the better features are the black and white GM versions of the maps - which I used as the GM's keys for the game that will not be run this weekend....

The Auld Grump *EDIT* Megan tried to warn me.... but at least I will be running a game this weekend, just not the one I planned on. (Sort of - I was able to salvage a good bit of the scenario.)

Heroic Maps is one of the best map makers on drivethrurpg. I tend to look at them first when needing a map. I picked up the Auspice ship map earlier for one of my RCon games. Last year it was a Grand Manor house & Crypt for one game & a Jungle ruin for anther.

I need to look at that sale, I know DTRPG is having their Christmas in July sale right now, so it'll just be more things to add to the cart. ::D:

• Like 6

I have been sick. Wednesday, bad stomach cramps. Last night was worse. This morning I nearly violently expelled my stomach contents in the shower from the pain. Called in sick, went back to bed.

Then had to go shopping before the trip tomorrow. We're never eating at that particular Sonic again (we were all ill).

• Sad 14

1 minute ago, Kheprera said:

I have been sick. Wednesday, bad stomach cramps. Last night was worse. This morning I nearly violently expelled my stomach contents in the shower from the pain. Called in sick, went back to bed.

Then had to go shopping before the trip tomorrow. We're never eating at that particular Sonic again (we were all ill).

Need to make the local Health Department aware of multiple cases of food poisoning occurring from that one place.

GEM

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

For literary* reasons I have been trying to find a source of a good but not bank breaking navaja fighting knife in an antique style.  This is surprisingly difficult oddly.  Perhaps it is my complete lack of Spanish language capability holding me back.

I wonder if @Glitterwolf speaks Spanish.

*short story long, I am reading a book in which the heroine uses one and they sound kinda neat so I wanted to check them out.

• Like 8