Jump to content

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!


Recommended Posts

 

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

 

It won't be at the manufacturing plant, it will be at a corporate office. He'd be an HR guy that handles workplace complaints or something like that. He explained it to me, and it's like a mix of handling complaints about the cars, complaints about workers, and complaints about work conditions. So some kind of weird amalgam of HR liason, OSHA compliance, and Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. But I guess that that's also in Plano.

 

This is distinctly not my job!  I would last about 10 minutes before someone got an earful of what I thought and that would be the end of that 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

 

It won't be at the manufacturing plant, it will be at a corporate office. He'd be an HR guy that handles workplace complaints or something like that. He explained it to me, and it's like a mix of handling complaints about the cars, complaints about workers, and complaints about work conditions. So some kind of weird amalgam of HR liason, OSHA compliance, and Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. But I guess that that's also in Plano.

 

Like I said, though, it may or may not impact my ability to go to Reapercon. If it's far enough away that the cost/inconvenience of transportation is too high, then it won't make it worth the money I save by not having to get a hotel. But then again, Reapercon is always going to be something that isn't likely for me because flight+hotel+everything else is most likely going to top $1k. Until I get my house and car paid off, that isn't exactly something I can spare, like, ever.

I'd be very wary of a job with responsibilities to so many in management in so many different areas.

Just the OSHA compliance plus one other area of responsibilities in such a large organization sends up red flags and alarm bells.

GEM

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Unruly said:

 

It's a...*rolls 2d10* ok, carry the three, subtract 15, find the inverse root... mind rending tragedy to meet you!

 

 

That car is awesome. Hendrix, Zappa, Ozzy, some guy I can't place, and someone that I'm pretty sure is Robert Plant but can't be certain of because so many 70's era British rockers look like that.

 

5 hours ago, Weird-O said:

 Possibly Ray Gillen?

 

The guy you can't place? is Ian Gillan Lead Singer of the original line up from Deep Purple, Then founded his own band Gillan and later sang lead in Black Sabbath for one album ( Born Again)

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr9ie2J2690

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rADpPpE2cv4

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25rXPVSjVQw

 

Robert Plant is right, also there is a symbol from the Pink Floyd album Dark Side of the Moon on the car.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I'd be very wary of a job with responsibilities to so many in management in so many different areas.

Just the OSHA compliance plus one other area of responsibilities in such a large organization sends up red flags and alarm bells.

GEM

 

I'm sure I'm explaining it badly. The way he explained it it made a lot of sense. And from what I remember of his explanation, he's not dealing with the complaints directly but rather supposed to be sorting them out and trying to separate legitimate complaints from the random bull. So like "there's a broken railing" versus "Jim in the cubicle next to me keeps farting."

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Unruly said:

 

I'm sure I'm explaining it badly. The way he explained it it made a lot of sense. And from what I remember of his explanation, he's not dealing with the complaints directly but rather supposed to be sorting them out and trying to separate legitimate complaints from the random bull. So like "there's a broken railing" versus "Jim in the cubicle next to me keeps farting."

I'm sure the job is legitimate and having such a person in the company would be amazing but it wouldn't be me.  I can be bristley about implied criticism to my loyalties where I have no control.  Direct criticism to me and mine is not a good way for me to achieve inner zen!

 

It's the single hardest thing about my recent shift in job functions.  Now that I am a direct manager I have to give away credit for my work and accept blame for faults that aren't mine.  It is a rough transition.  To top it off, I'm apparently at least reasonably good at it so my group is happy, my superiors are happy and the all look at me like I've lost my mind when I say I'm just not feeling like it's working....

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Apropos of nothing:

 

aoOgbRe_700b.jpg.d6985415a0654cc04396873ac566f6b8.jpg

 

Love how the markings on the helmet make it feel more like a luchadore mask instead of Black Templar... ^_^

 

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

happy-tuesday-rock-on.thumb.jpg.05334ccea19b51de382355635332bfc5.jpg

Wow, they sure are easily distracted by the dishwasher..! 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

So they've decided to make one person the target of all possible complaints from all possible vectors...that is wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to begin.

 

 

Being the scapegoblin is not so bad, it's a time-honoured profession.  

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks to Kheprera's post in the acquisitions thread, today I learned there is a video game museum in the greater Dallas area.  I'll need to find a way to tack on extra days next time I go to ReaperCon.  (Too late to add days onto this year's trip.)

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Visited Dallas (and Reaper HQ) over the weekend.

 

Dallas World Aquarium on Saturday was packed. I think weekdays are less crowded.

 

 


20180721_151000_crop_1008x604.thumb.jpg.79d66510062e5c855af46fa18abdf9c5.jpg

 

20180721_152550-1512x2016.thumb.jpg.31ded6971ce678e4dccf0c72cc7989a8.jpg

 

20180721_154641_crop_604x454.jpg.411f7b49c5269861b32433b9773560d2.jpg
 

 

 

Benihana's for dinner. Thomas tried sushi. Both ate well. Was very glad they tried the food and stayed off the electronics while eating.

 

 


Thomas learning to use chopsticks. Michael nomming fried rice.

20180722_082949.thumb.jpg.b309ef44a81edb67d5176379dd6152d4.jpg

Michael giving the food and experience a thumbs up.

20180721_220408-1512x2016.thumb.jpg.fa54576e688a167f1650d50fa838eec0.jpg
 

 

 

Sunday: National Video Game Museum

 

 


Roolz:

20180722_125700-2016x1512.thumb.jpg.53bbaf7d1760cc10fbbb5bc51eb30caf.jpg

Dragon's Lair!

20180722_131057-1512x2016.thumb.jpg.c0aa53f3d45200ee649d613db6be3474.jpg

Alien franchise display was impressive:

20180722_131154-1512x2016.thumb.jpg.fe3588b74345cc81398428bf9015a443.jpg

20180722_131205-1512x2016.thumb.jpg.0b5adb8961d3b6931b6206fdd9691be2.jpg

Classic Star Wars:

20180722_131706-1512x2016.thumb.jpg.f7a4b82c6c18a0913c91db86954e55da.jpg

My first video game:

20180722_131719-1512x2016.thumb.jpg.3d99be2b9f5e3b344a4fbf526dba81c6.jpg

DK Jr:

20180722_131943-1512x2016.thumb.jpg.e2dda162b875edec7e7979f2ebaf4cb8.jpg

Dig Dug

20180722_133406-1512x2016.thumb.jpg.9593a32981f79c9869d76781f291f7ae.jpg

Right in the high school nostalgia feels:

20180722_132540-2016x1512.thumb.jpg.96eb642e4f8e7d08314bb30ca75bf3a5.jpg
 

 

 

Overall, a fun weekend.

13 minutes ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

Thanks to Kheprera's post in the acquisitions thread, today I learned there is a video game museum in the greater Dallas area.  I'll need to find a way to tack on extra days next time I go to ReaperCon.  (Too late to add days onto this year's trip.)

In Frisco, yup. Not hard to find.

Edited by Kheprera
  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...