Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

• Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, TGP said:

She (the cat) will mockingly eat a mouse at Red..?

No, she (the cat) will take the moral high ground and offer to share - leaving half the mouse where it can be easily found.

The Auld Grump - and the other half in a shoe someplace.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Now Megan knows what you need for Xmas...bigger backpack. 

She (the cat) will mockingly eat a mouse at Red..?

No, then he'd get more stuff!

There is no way to eat a mouse that ISN'T mocking! The worst is when all you find are the little pink feet.

38 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I like possum week

Didn't the BBC do Squirrel Week once? With a show of squirrels stealing from bird feeders, to the theme from Mission: Impossible?

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The downside of having all this loverly PVC dungeon furnishings... I can no longer fit everything that I need for the kids game into a single backpack. I now have two pistol cases too many....

The Auld Grump

Sounds like you need a bigger backpack.

Like this:

M35-Bottom.jpg.37654a86bfaaff2832a062973ffc5e1b.jpg

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

It's hard to believe they've been doing shark week for 30 years now... :blink:

How about possum week?

Or, and I'm just tossing out ideas here... Hamster Week!

It's probably because something that's entirely capable of maiming or killing us when all things are equal are pretty interesting.

The 2 furry critters you mentioned just can't match that.::P:

More seriously, if they want to do an animal week for another creature that has been wrongly demonized by human beings ( I might be mistaken, but I think this is one of the reasons behind shark week ), then wolves would be an excellent choice.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Zink said:

We've gotten 40 C a few times over the years. That's when you find me in a puddle in the corner. I don't think I want to know what 49 feels like.This has been a hot summer for us with a lot of days over 30 C. For some reason this week is only low to mid 20s. Feels great and it's nice to be able to work outside without the tools burning me when I pick them up or being half blinded by all the sweat running in my eyes. The only thing that saves me when the temps are high is if it cools down at night. I've been places where day and night is only a couple degrees difference and that gets to me quick. My wife's noticed that I'm like an oven in the evenings on hot days. Store all that heat and let it out later. :upside:

Aww, thunder boomer that was rattling the house is over and the suns back out. Gotta go work again.

45 C is about as far into the heat as I have gotten... of course it was in Brazil, the humidity was also over  90% and I had to work 12 hour days in it...  also discovered that 37 degrees is a miserable temperature no matter what measurement system you are using.

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

We cool down nicely once the sun sets on the high desert.  Palm Springs is the low desert and they don't get the nice temperature drop we do.  In the Palm Springs area they are lucky to get a 10 degree farenheight drop overnight durring the high summer months.

GEM

That could also have something to do with the pools, grass, roads and sprinkler systems.  When I lived in Tucson I remember being able to use swamp coolers and the temperature lost 25 degrees in the night.  When I left you had to be 50 miles outside the city limits or they did nothing and the temperature stayed above 100 even after midnight. 

Phoenix was even worse.  I cannot imagine what that city is like in the summer anymore!

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

I imagine Red cooking a lasagna and then when she turns around to get more plates, the cat will mockingly eat the lasagna.

Or something in this magnitude, maybe it's a pizza...

The cat will wait for you to make lasagna, then she will sit in it, slowly licking her paws at you....

• Haha 9

The next few weeks could be "interesting".

Now that yesterdays surprise scaffolding is fully erected, it's killed the signal to our satellite dish and my hopelessly TV addicted housemate isn't coping at all.

Hopefully the indoor aerial I've ordered works, or I'm doomed to a terrible fate.

• Sad 6

18 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

No, then he'd get more stuff!

There is

The Auld Grumpno way to eat a mouse that ISN'T mocking! The worst is when all you find are the little pink feet.

Didn't the BBC do Squirrel Week once? With a show of squirrels stealing from bird feeders, to the theme from Mission: Impossible?

Daylight Robbery.

Yoiks and away!

The Auld Grump

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

There is no way to eat a mouse that ISN'T mocking! The worst is when all you find are the little pink feet

I wish that I did not know that that was incorrect.  The Little Wildcat's mentor was a little too excited about eating rodents to bother with killing them first.  Or sometimes at all.  Cue Zoey's speech about Reavers...

On the other hand:

Spoiler

43572395462_48fe6bc016_b.jpg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Zink said:

We've gotten 40 C a few times over the years. That's when you find me in a puddle in the corner. I don't think I want to know what 49 feels like.This has been a hot summer for us with a lot of days over 30 C. For some reason this week is only low to mid 20s. Feels great and it's nice to be able to work outside without the tools burning me when I pick them up or being half blinded by all the sweat running in my eyes. The only thing that saves me when the temps are high is if it cools down at night. I've been places where day and night is only a couple degrees difference and that gets to me quick. My wife's noticed that I'm like an oven in the evenings on hot days. Store all that heat and let it out later. :upside:

Aww, thunder boomer that was rattling the house is over and the suns back out. Gotta go work again.

Hottest it's been here in recent decades was around 106F or 41.111 C...

Hottest weather I've been in was in Vegas where it hit 110 F or 43.33 C, but there was no humidity so it didn't feel as bad as it could have.

Hottest temp I've ever experienced was working in the plastic bottle factory - they shut down every year during the first week of August due to the heat, but I'd just started a month and a half before so I volunteered to come in and work clean-up. I was in a Tyvek suit, hood, gloves and everything, standing on a ladder scraping rust and burnt plastic out of the vents above the machines.

The temperature up near the top of the ladder was about 115 F... That's 46.11 C. The humidity was around 85-87%.

That was a rough couple days, lol.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Sad 4

So a bit earlier, the weather went from rainy to torrential.

And by this I mean I was soak within 20 seconds, and that water seeped from the roof on the second floor of the apartment all the way down to the basement... by the electrical boxes. ::o:

And some other tenant had his window wide open.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Sad 9

I think the worst I had to work in was when I was a manager trainee for Domino's in Modesto in midsummer. The temp was over 100°F/38°C, we were running our swamp cooler at full blast, and we had the doors open to cool down the inside. Turns out that when it's over 100, opening the doors doesn't help that much even if it's quite a bit cooler outside than in.

Still better inside than in my '70 Malibu with the black interior and sketchy AC, though.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Yeah... it may be time to go from a book bag to a frame pack....

Unlike the ship model, I am unwilling to leave my toy furniture at a child's house....

Came up with an obnoxiously large magic item for the kids to find - the Desk of Bureaucracy - pretty much a Handy Haversack, but for paperwork. And the paperwork you are looking for is always right where you can find it. (Tell me that isn't a magic item!)

The Auld Grump - a more powerful version is the Desks of Shared Bureaucratic Responsibility - where the magically stored and sorted paperwork is shared between two desks....

It's an item that requires attunement (involving all sorts of demonic sacrifices). If you try to use it otherwise, you're cursed, and forced to fill out form after form after form, all of which are wrong/misfiled/lost etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

I've been painting most of the day and, with a few exceptions, that'll continue for about a month. Local-ish game store is having a competition. I decided on my project, Marthrangul, last week. He has so many tiny scales. I'll probably be cross eyed before I finish.

• Like 7

My worst was cleaning an apartment we had moved out of in August with no AC. Outside heat was about 110°F, heat index popping that over 115°F, and inside the apartment was death. Gatorade got us through that but uuuuuugh.

• Sad 8

9 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The downside of having all this loverly PVC dungeon furnishings... I can no longer fit everything that I need for the kids game into a single backpack. I now have two pistol cases too many....

The Auld Grump

An army surplus rucksack is still a backpack.

5 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

I just accidentally switched on the Discovery Channel's Shark Bothering program(forgot that it runs between 8 and 9pm here), and saw Bear 'where's the nearest 5star hotel' Grylles use a RED flare to signal his position for a pickup.

Any respect I might have still had for him just died an agonising death. 

RED = Distress!   

Use any other colour you want, just NOT RED!

Les Stroud was always a better guy to watch. Especially on Survivorman, where he was on his own, acting as his own camera crew, and had just a few things in his pockets. And his harmonica was the only thing he ever brought with him every time. Like, he'd be out on the Louisiana bayou for a full 7 days with half a book of matches, some dental floss, his harmonica, and a pair of pliers. That's it. I mean, sure, he had his camera cases, cameras, and emergency radio, but it wasn't like Bear Grylls and his having everyone with him at all times and having staged events set up for him. There were actually a couple times where Les Stroud had to be pulled out by emergency evac because things had just gone so wrong for him. I think he had to call in the Coast Guard once when he was doing a desert island thing and his raft that he built just fell apart on him. And I know in one of them he got some kind of illness that almost killed him and had to be flown out.

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

It's hard to believe they've been doing shark week for 30 years now... :blink:

I was born the year of the first shark week.

• Like 8