Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

6 hours ago, Unruly said:

Well, that was a close one. I put on the kettle so I can make a batch of iced tea, and apparently the burner either went out or didn't light initially and I missed it. I went and started a load of laundry, came back into the kitchen to a strong gas smell a couple minutes later, realized what was happening, and immediately shut it off, threw open the windows, turned on the exhaust hood, and was very glad I caught it in time. The oven was on, so as soon as it hit the saturation point it would have gone BOOM!

So remember folks - if you've got a gas stove, always make sure the burner is actually lit before leaving the room!

Although in my case it would probably have done me a lot of good if half my house suddenly exploded outward in a fireball. Homeowner's insurance would pay for all the broken stuff and my house would end up in better shape than it is now. But it would have still sucked because I would have to live with my mom or in a hotel or something, and even though it's on the side of my house that doesn't have all my personal belongings I'd still probably lose all sorts of stuff to fire hoses.

You may want to check if there's a liability clause in your insurance...

If I had a gas stove I'd be deathly afraid to leave the room for even a minute when it's in use. 

When I bought into the apartment building I live now, my most important question was 'Are anyone going to have a gas stove?' 

(We don't have gas pipes everywhere here, but for some weird reason there are people who wants gas stoves anyway. They need to get a large tank and have it in a shed a distance away from the building, and permanent piping laid in. A lot of work, and is easiest done before the building and grounds are finished, so the builder would have known about it.)

The second most important question was 'If I get a top floor apartment, do I get the attic?'...   

• Like 7

• Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Unruly said:

The problem with a lot of plastic stuff is the shine it has. The shine makes it look fake, and often cleaner than it should be. Flat coating it should help with that.

I agree,  real bones (as opposed to the commercial plastic kind...)  are either very matte and have a almost powdery surface or are very shiny and glossy from handling.  Since your eye isn't comfortable with the second type except as handles (pool cues, knife handles, etc) it seems.fake.  using dullcote will enhance the believability a lot for minimal work.  The alternative, if you have the time, was also mentioned: prime and paint.  Not recommended unless you have am airbrush though...

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Scottish sweeties?

You mean like Whiskey? :ph34r:

Somehow I get the feeling the poor Glitterwolf will be blamed again!

image.png.e37c059cd3a9f769c2dac500fa9c84c9.png

*** Runs around in panic***

I knew it!

They will all blame the poor Glitterwolf!

I wasn't the only one who partied!

*** Glances at whistling forumites looking the other way***

It's like that huh?

***Shrugs shoulders, quietly pushes trash behind a potted plant***

don t look at me! I was at Reapercon or being tortured by airline attendants.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

I'll slap some dullcote on there this afternoon, after I get back from looking at fake flowers at hobby lobby. I still need some black roses and that fake cobweb stuff. 

Oh dear, if I have a Halloween decoration on my door, that means kids will expect candy ::o:

• Like 12

15 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Does Scotland still have Wonka Dweebs? Like Nerds... but Dweebs 

I haven't seen those in years, I think they went the way of Creamola Foam :down:

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Scottish sweeties?

You mean like Whiskey? :ph34r:

Sweeties is what you guys call candy ::P:

Although I have heard the term "Nippy Sweetie" to describe a wee drink in these parts :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

44 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

I'll slap some dullcote on there this afternoon, after I get back from looking at fake flowers at hobby lobby. I still need some black roses and that fake cobweb stuff. 

Oh dear, if I have a Halloween decoration on my door, that means kids will expect candy ::o:

They may expect candy...but why not suprise them with candy colored rocks instead! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

13 hours ago, OneBoot said:

*ambles into the thread*

Hi everyone! Hm, looks nice and tidy around here. Y'all been keeping out of trouble this past week? 

Wait...what's that sparkling behind the couch? *pulls out a double handful of glitter*

<_<

Best name for a snek evar! :wub:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

No, don't look behind the...

At least she didn't look under the sink...

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I picked up a pair of decorative brooms to make a decoration for my door. I also got some plastic skeleton parts, but they look painfully plastic... does anyone know how make them look more bone-ish?

Hide contents

IMG_1837.thumb.JPG.c9e2a7e9fce613870b71a58217c8c31d.JPG

7 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Prime and paint. Pretend it's a Kaladrax!

With a size 0 brush!

Another obnoxiously hot morning. 

2 more weeks of school... Almost done...

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

On 8/30/2018 at 9:04 PM, Green Eyed Monster said:

You have our thoughts and prayers and a message/request on the white board on our room door.

GEM

Rm914

On 8/31/2018 at 7:46 AM, Kangaroorex said:

I'll keep her in my thoughts.  And wishes of peace and comfort to both of you.

Thanks again everyone. It was a good trip and I'm glad I went. She seems to be doing better right now. 

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

They may expect candy...but why not suprise them with candy colored rocks instead! 

or rock candy...in rock colors...

15 hours ago, OneBoot said:

*ambles into the thread*

Hi everyone! Hm, looks nice and tidy around here. Y'all been keeping out of trouble this past week? 

Wait...what's that sparkling behind the couch? *pulls out a double handful of glitter*

<_<

Best name for a snek evar! :wub:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

A friend manages snakes for their local science museum.  He calls the constrictors huggy noodles and the venomous ones danger noodles.

between the heat and the time of year my younger ball python Cleo has been living up to the name!  lately its been like holding on to a piece of spaghetti until she tires herself out!  fortunately, ball pythons are not known for their feats of endurance....

And of course Snoball, the older one has become more adventurous as well. 

• Like 10

I spent my labor day (yesterday) at home; Breakfast and one episode of Jack Ryan then paint until I needed to take a break. rinse and repeat the whole day... Pretty good day I would say. There was whiskey involved. Evan Williams to be precise.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1