Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

• Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been packing my to-go art supplies in a pencil bag the first two Reapercons. On this third one, I had to add a big ziploc baggy to it! I just picked up a "Stack-On SHB-16 16-Inch Multi-Purpose Steel Tool Box" from big river for $20 and wow, it's way bigger than I thought! 16 inch width! And it's solid steel!

I think I'll add some fun stickers and stuff to it, but I'm wondering if maybe I should get a nice purple enamel and paint it first... ::):

• Like 19

7 hours ago, Zink said:

I know about sweat equity and so should he. He's been involved in the banking side of agriculture including estate work for the last 20+ years. It's funny how things that other people did don't matter in cases like this. My family went through a long stupid legal battle between my dad and uncle. The uncle was ok to deal with but when he got dementia his kids sued my dad over every thing possible. Ended as an expensive stalemate. I'll be paying off my dad's lawyer bill for years to come. My brother can't stand talking to my mom any more so he's trying to weasel around it by having me be the go between. I don't want to add to her stress but if she's ok with it I want to tell him to deal with her directly just because it'll upset him. He's also executor of my dad's will along with my mother but he doesn't return phone calls and has done nothing on that front. Mom and I did everything she can without his ok and there's no real issues as everything was already hers to begin with but it's not getting settled. Need to mention that in my reply.

Thank you, mam.  This is probably the best advice I've had in a long time and really perked up my morning. Sadly I probably can scrape up the 20 skeletons but this is just soooo perfect. Cow bones take forever to disintegrate and we lose some every year for various reasons. I'm planning on asking him how many cows and calves he owns, where they're located and how we can identify them. It would be great if I just took him to the bone pile and asked him if any of those look familiar.

I like dandelions too. I've never understood the hatred for them. They normally don't hurt anything and I think it's cool when the gold finches come along to eat the seeds.

On the idea of billing. He also has a handful of horses that he never did anything with. My dad and him bought them I think 14 years ago to train. Dad realised he was in his 70's and couldn't do it anymore.  Brother had some health issues and quit coming to the farm. I've been trying to figure out what to do with the damn things for years because I figured if I sold them I'd get charged with theft. He wants them back now and I'm considering asking for compensation. I don't really care if I get it or not I just want him to be aware of how many thousands of dollars those useless things have cost us. I'm just so very fed up with dealing with people that think they deserve whatever they want even though they never put anything into getting it.

We get frosts at this time of year fairly often. This one broke some records for cold further north, about -2 or -3 C. It doesn't really mean anything.

Thanks again for the sympathy and ideas everyone. The wife wishes I was more of a jerk when dealing with stuff like this but it's just not my nature. I do my best to be reasonable at all times. She once got mad at me and told me I care to much about what other people think so I don't do what I should. I replied to her that I don't really worry much about what other people think of me. It's just that there's enough @holes in the world already and I don't need to be adding to it. I like to be able to look in the mirror and see a decent person looking back. Don't mean I let people walk all over me. Just means I ain't one for hissy fits.

The insight into your brothers mentality is summed up by the fact that he is involved in farming as a banker.

As to him being a co-executor of your fathers will and not performing the duties of that office, you should petition the appropriate magistrate to have him removed on the grounds of malfeasance.  Document everything.

On the horses, apply the same principle as the 20 cows.  It sounds like when he "lost interest" he basically lumbered your father with the responsibility for the care, feeding, and other maintenance  for his half of the project.  The courts tend to look at this as "abandonment" in the sense of abandoning the property.  Your father [and you] have done the responsible thing by continuing to maintain these animals.

It's now time for accounts to be brought current, if for no other reason than so your fathers estate may be settled cleanly and quickly.  Your brother, as a banker, understands about the money, but apparently not the other duties involved in these relationships.  It's time to present him with black and white documentation of his responsibilities.  If he won't quickly come forward with the cash then that is just more evidence of his malfeasance with respect to being an executor of the estate.

You have my sympathy and understanding [and prayers].

GEM

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I've always been partial to the ideas of mosses, clovers, or prairie grasses for open areas, depending on the height you need. <3

We generally live in smaller spaces though, so I stick with making anything I can find into bonsai (I was working on some pepper plants and rosemary a few weeks ago) and propagating little succulents.

--

Also yes to pumpkin time and pumpkin candy! My husband and I were on the couch last night and I suddenly bounced up and yelled, "IT'S TIME."

??? - my husband.

"It's after labor day! Now I can go 'ooh and aah' over all the halloween supplies and dream about year-round decorating!" :wub:

Home Depot in their Halloween Coral has a Fire Dragon that is huge [as is the price, think twice the price of Mal'drakar from Reaper], and comes with a fog machine for making smoky breath.   this is even cooler than the skeleton of a T-Rex they had last year.

Sadly, my wife hates Halloween.  So in the interest of familial harmony I have to curb my natural inclination to over the top Halloween preparations.  Besides, I'm old and crippled up enough that a lot of "the things" are just too much of a struggle.

GEM

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

I've been packing my to-go art supplies in a pencil bag the first two Reapercons. On this third one, I had to add a big ziploc baggy to it! I just picked up a "Stack-On SHB-16 16-Inch Multi-Purpose Steel Tool Box" from big river for $20 and wow, it's way bigger than I thought! 16 inch width! And it's solid steel!

I think I'll add some fun stickers and stuff to it, but I'm wondering if maybe I should get a nice purple enamel and paint it first... ::):

No no no. Nevermind. This is me getting excitable and creating a project where there isn't one. :lol:

Stickers, Mori. Just. Stickers. Go paint minis with all that spare time you think you have!

I did decide on my next two threads though! Under WIP, I'll make one for practicing skin tones and faces, and under Sculpting, I'm going to make 3 minis out of 3 popular types of putty/clay.

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

You also need to add some magnets, fun ones and maybe some for sticking your minis firmly to the box, too.  Supposed to be better for travel than the foam-lined cases that can be abrasive to paint, I've heard.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Serenity said:

You also need to add some magnets, fun ones and maybe some for sticking your minis firmly to the box, too.  Supposed to be better for travel than the foam-lined cases that can be abrasive to paint, I've heard.

It was completely accidental, but I have a couple tupperware containers that fit absolutely snugly inside the toolbox! I'll keep one for wires and sharp things, but I'll leave the other empty for mini storage. I normally use the blister pack front, wrap the mini in toilet paper/kleenex, and then tape it closed. I do like the magnets idea!

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

It isn't a Corolla, is it? My parents once managed to tetris three people, plus camping supplies for three people, into a Toyota Corolla...

There is, similarly, a lot of space in a Prius; Mr. Thorne and I have managed to tetris all kinds of IKEA purchases into one, including a set of tall bookshelves. ^^;

Prius is easier to get into IKEA's parking lot. Grendel has more space for packing large items. Tradeoffs...

Just a Plain Jane Ford Fusion.  The fold down rear seat backs make it really nice when Ed goes to the lumber yard and comes back with the big things.

We are seriously discussing acquiring a small pickup or mid-size SUV for our travels this next year.

Main discussion on way home is the need for my wife to be in Winston-Salem a week before ReaperCon, something that she would be very pleased if I accompanied her to, and then returning to the west coast via ReaperCon.  This is for the annual International Session of our Fraternal Order and requires everything from casual dress through Formal Wear, plus Uniforms for both my wife and I as we are active  in the Uniformed Branch [brag: my wife is a Past International President of this branch] the wardrobe requires substantial packing space.  We all know what is needed for ReaperCon, although I will be able to reduce my packing for next year by at least one milk crate and half a hanging bag.

Discussion is leaning towards the current model [but not brand new, I can't see taking the "drive it off the lot" financial hit] Toyota Rav4.  We have a friend who has one and the interior volume of the current model is significantly increased over the previous model.  We rented one of these for a trip when the last model was in production and it was comfortable for a multi-day car trip although I found that it wouldn't hold much more in the way of luggage/cargo than our Fusion.

Glad that we are finally home.  Exhausted from the trip, but in a good way.

GEM

23 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

No no no. Nevermind. This is me getting excitable and creating a project where there isn't one. :lol:

Stickers, Mori. Just. Stickers. Go paint minis with all that spare time you think you have!

I did decide on my next two threads though! Under WIP, I'll make one for practicing skin tones and faces, and under Sculpting, I'm going to make 3 minis out of 3 popular types of putty/clay.

But 10 minutes with some masking tape for the shiny bits and a rattle can of paint would make the project complete.

And besides, that purple paint job would probably show off the stickers much better than the stock paint job.

GEM

• Like 12

50 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

Why not both? Use purple contact paper and cover the exterior.

But seriously, spray painting the metal might help keep it in good shape for longer by preventing rust. You'll be protecting your investment.

• Like 12

13 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Discussion is leaning towards the current model [but not brand new, I can't see taking the "drive it off the lot" financial hit] Toyota Rav4.  We have a friend who has one and the interior volume of the current model is significantly increased over the previous model.  We rented one of these for a trip when the last model was in production and it was comfortable for a multi-day car trip although I found that it wouldn't hold much more in the way of luggage/cargo than our Fusion.

SWMBO has a 17 Rav4 and loves it.. It also has space for two teenagers worth of hockey gear without encroaching on the passenger compartment.. 

Edited by eldamir
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

You know, I'm not actually sure my state's liquor laws allow non-taxed liquor to enter the state.  Oddly I've never had this question come up.

Interstate commerce is governed by federal law unless the feds have explicitly allowed the states to exercise local control. The 21st Amendment, section 2, allows state and local laws to prevent sale or use of alcohol in a jurisdiction. But if such sale or use is allowed, the Supreme Court has held (in Granholm v. Heald) that a state can't discriminate against out-of-state businesses.

That said, I am not a lawyer in any jurisdiction, so don't rely on any of that as legal advice. Talk to a lawyer in your jurisdiction for that.

• Like 6