Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

14 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I will NOT burn down my house today!

Good idea.

10 hours ago, Jasonator said:

I just dropped in to say hello, as I toss empty boxes into a corner, and attempt

to make a home out of the former contents of  my moving POD.  As hard as it is to imagine....at 69 years of age,

I have gone from the East Coast (which is facing the brunt of a new hurricane) to living

in PORTLAND, OREGON.

Once my apartment is arranged I shall begin to paint miniatures again, and get back into the

mode of being a contributor to our Reaper fixation.  Sooo ....

Hello to my new Pacific West Coast Neighbors in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho.

Not used to seeing Mountains in the background of things,

Nor people being polite, civil and warm.

This is a FAR cry from the East Coast.

Jay :)

I'm glad to read that things are going well for you!

10 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I was making fried chicken and I put too many pieces in the pan and it boiled over. I couldn't find my thingnof baking soda, so in a panic I threw salt at the burner, which actually worked long enough to get my big jar of baking soda down and cover the burner in it. It was annoying to clean up, but that's better than burning down my house. 

The chicken was really good though.

I'm glad to hear that you averted disaster.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*Sniffle*

I only got to use the mini I picked up for the harbourmaster once. ::(: <Pseudo-sincere sad face.

03846_w_1.jpg

He failed a defensive casting roll while in arm's reach of a raging barbarian - and the barbarian did not feel like taking prisoners.

Whoops. ::P: (He'd already been shot twice by the gunslinger - who kept holding actions until spellcasters started casting spells. Worked great against the harbourmaster - worm-guy just ignored being shot.)

Worm-guy got away again, the party seems pretty sure that the harbourmaster was working for him, not the other way around.

And, because they managed to catch the baddies just before a human sacrifice, it is likely that the PCs won't be facing charges of murder.

But they are definitely on the Queen's list of 'problems'... and the Banneret can be called to court at any time. (Banneret is the lowest hereditary noble rank - a landed knight. The land granted the family by a king about a hundred years ago is entailed - and cannot be sold. Nice place, if you like sheep and fish.)

*EDIT* Vetanis was one of two figures where I could not wait until Bones IV comes out - I bought him in metal. The other is worm-guy. (The party does not yet know his true name.)

*EDIT 2* Worm-guy -

03787_w_1.jpg

What does it mean that worm-guy is wearing filthy yellow robes and a rusting iron crown, with faint remnants of gold leaf peeling away?

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, redambrosia said:

We do have a fire extinguisher, just, honestly, I've only ever used baking soda to put out stove fires. My brain doesn't even think of the big red can as being the fire putter outer. There was only one, tiny, brief flame and it went out right away. My problem was that my little container of baking soda was in the laundry (because baking soda is super useful). 

Well, I did brine the chicken all night. ^_^ 

Well as long as your big red can isn't 20 years old, you're probably fine.  I noticed that our old one was long past usable and figured I'd better have at least one on hand when we got our gas stove.  Especially after someone we knew actually had to use one.  I'm a big nag about safety, I think they indoctrinate you when you have your first child.  :;):  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

I'm a big nag about safety, I think they indoctrinate you when you have your first child.

+1 Mom Point.  I don't think mothers are thanked enough for their loving care for children so thank you for looking out!  The hardest and most rewarding job on Earth is raising and protecting children.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LittleBluberry said:

Well as long as your big red can isn't 20 years old, you're probably fine.  I noticed that our old one was long past usable and figured I'd better have at least one on hand when we got our gas stove.  Especially after someone we knew actually had to use one.  I'm a big nag about safety, I think they indoctrinate you when you have your first child.  :;):  

After the first time Mr. Thorne demonstrated a talent for lighting stoves on fire, I started keeping general use extinguishers in arm's reach of the kitchen (the first time, he grabbed the apartment complex extinguisher, and prompted a complaint about broken glass in the hallway.. he missed some, sweeping up after the incident). And when I say 'general use', I mean it will take out most of the things that start fires in houses; grease, electricity, what you have...

We haven't burned down an apartment, or the house, but... every place we've ever lived has been christened by Mr. Thorne setting the stove on fire in some way. I keep a couple of extinguishers handy. Just in case.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

I haven't set things in the kitchen on fire, but I've melted several tea kettles (as has my mom). Space on the stove, and less risk of melting, mean we both have shifted to electric kettles now. Stovetop is more pleasing, but it is a pain in the bum to deal with melted kettle!

Okay.... I think I am going to get dressed for a small adventure before working on Elrond again. I want a cinnamon bun! Om nom nom. 

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Erifnogard said:

He shops Discount Draperies and Diadems?

Well, that too.

The Auld Grump -Lo! ’t is a gala night

Within the lonesome latter years!   
An angel throng, bewinged, bedight
   In veils, and drowned in tears,   
Sit in a theatre, to see
   A play of hopes and fears,
While the orchestra breathes fitfully   
   The music of the spheres.

Mimes, in the form of God on high,   
   Mutter and mumble low,
And hither and thither fly—
   Mere puppets they, who come and go   
At bidding of vast formless things
   That shift the scenery to and fro,
Flapping from out their Condor wings
   Invisible Wo!

That motley drama—oh, be sure   
   It shall not be forgot!
With its Phantom chased for evermore   
   By a crowd that seize it not,
Through a circle that ever returneth in   
   To the self-same spot,
And much of Madness, and more of Sin,   
   And Horror the soul of the plot.

But see, amid the mimic rout,
   A crawling shape intrude!
A blood-red thing that writhes from out   
   The scenic solitude!
It writhes!—it writhes!—with mortal pangs   
The mimes become its food,
And seraphs sob at vermin fangs
   In human gore imbued.

Out—out are the lights—out all!   
   And, over each quivering form,
The curtain, a funeral pall,
   Comes down with the rush of a storm,   
While the angels, all pallid and wan,   
   Uprising, unveiling, affirm
That the play is the tragedy, “Man,”   
   And its hero, the Conqueror Worm.
- Edgar Allen Poe
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

Our extinguisher is provided and checked regularly by the complex. They come in and check our fire alarms once a year and make sure the extinguisher is good too. It's soooper annoying cause they always want to do it when I'm asleep <_< 

That was actually only the third stove fire I've had in my entire life, and of those three there was only one where I was afraid of it getting beyond me. My dad made sure we all knew how to deal with fire when we were quite young. Benefits of being a Boy Scout.

• Like 11

While I work on the King in Yellow plots, I think I will be listening to Morthond.... Not music I especially like, mind you, but it has the atmosphere I want. Not even sure when Morthond joined my collection - I know Megan was surprised it was there, back before we were officially dating.  ::):

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 6