Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

My clothes smell delicious. I needed to go to the store, so I just threw one the stuff I wore yesterday. Because I was hovering over a heavily smoking charcoal grill for a few hours, they smell like hickory and applewood smoke, with hints of pork. It's amazing.

Easter Sunday one year I had not slept the night before and was working the 5am to 1pm shift. A friend of mine called me because he had locked his keys in his car at work in a small town 2 hours away. After about 4 hours of craziness during which he started walking home, his phone died, he hitched a ride and I finished my shift at work, I went to his house hoping to talk to his wife and found him there. We get in the car to drive back to small town, he apologizes for smelling like work. I apologize for smelling like work, then realize my work smell is roasted lamb chops with garlic and rosemary.

His response is, "Yeah, you smell amazing. I'm buying breakfast."

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

• Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Zink said:

I work a lot with cattle. Most people who don't wouldn't want to be around me when I smell like work. Not feedlot or stockyards bad but still....

When we pass a feedlot in our travels I tell my wife "That's the smell of raw steak on the hoof".

I used to pass a lot of feedlots [both stationary and mobile {cattle trucks}] in my motorcycling and truck driving days.

GEM

• Like 11

Since I live in central North Carolina, my wife and I are keeping an eye on the forecast for Hurricane Florence.  At the moment, it looks like we'll get a bunch of rain but I'm not sure about wind yet.  (This is based on the four and five day forecasts which are not usually trustworthy for specifics.)  Most of the shelf space for bottled water at our grocery store and Target was empty this afternoon.

It'll be interesting.

• Like 7
  • Sad 6

After watching a little too much "Great British Baking Show" I decided I should prove to my daughters that I know how to make cream puffs.  I even taught one of them how to make choux pastry.  Made some cocoa whipped cream (all recipes from Joy of Cooking), filled enough for dessert and served them to an appreciate audience.  

Then I surveyed the dishes and remembered why it is that I don't usually make fancy desserts.  :rolleyes:  

• Like 8
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

After watching a little too much "Great British Baking Show" I decided I should prove to my daughters that I know how to make cream puffs.  I even taught one of them how to make choux pastry.  Made some cocoa whipped cream (all recipes from Joy of Cooking), filled enough for dessert and served them to an appreciate audience.  

Then I surveyed the dishes and remembered why it is that I don't usually make fancy desserts.  :rolleyes:  

The phrase "Every Pot and Pan in the kitchen" comes readily to mind.

GEM

• Like 10

Tonight has not been my night. PokemonGo required me to sign in. Failed twice. Don’t remember password. No biggie, I’ll remote in to the home desktop. Remote access app decided I’m using the free license for commercial use and will limit me to five minutes. 

Fine, I don’t need five minutes. Two tops. It kicks me off within 10 seconds. Well, elf. Message son to go grab my password. Get it from him. 

Google now says I’ve tried too many times, and sends me an email alert. Been an hour now, so try again. Still can’t log in. Too many attempts. Maybe I have to review my “suspicious” activity. So click on the email. Wants me to log in.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results, with the exception of electronics. Some times, doing the same thing again is exactly what has to happen!

Except tonight. Security email login says I’ve attempted it too many times! Grr...

Think I’ll just paint. Angrily.

• Like 2
  • Sad 12

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Just don't get too close to the smoke alarm.

GEM

You jest, but at like 3am my fire alarm went off for a single alarm. I wasn't cooking, there was no smoke, there was no reason for it to go off. It's a dual smoke/carbon monoxide detector, but it beeped the pattern for smoke and not CO. And it only beeped it once.

• Like 4
  • Confused 5

3 minutes ago, Unruly said:

You jest, but at like 3am my fire alarm went off for a single alarm. I wasn't cooking, there was no smoke, there was no reason for it to go off. It's a dual smoke/carbon monoxide detector, but it beeped the pattern for smoke and not CO. And it only beeped it once.

Low battery?

• Like 7

My needlefloof is not doing well this weekend. 

she was spotted limping and fell over once after getting up from a nap. 

Last year she was having similar symptoms but switching her to supper medicated kidney can food seemed to take care of it. 

but since then she decided she didn't like the food that much and stopped eating it,  we switched to dry bag of medicated kidney food. 

Her main symptom is that her back legs quit working for a few minutes.  then she is fine again. 

- got more wet food this afternoon. 

of course, as I am writing this I can hear her trying to break into the trashcan for roast scraps. 

even after 19 years, still lots of life left in her.  Not in this picture especially, cause nap time. 

17026076184_5fd885d653_k.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 20