Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

1 minute ago, Cyradis said:

I am definitely going to need to figure out how to use it then. Real cooking makes much more sense. I am there and controlling the heat and don't have silly rules like not opening it. I can taste what's in my pan whenever I want! 

My go to "recipe" for chili:

3-4 cans of red beans. 2 can of black beans, 1 can of random other beans that I accidentally grabbed when buying a cartful of beans when they were on sale. 1 large can of stewed  diced tomatoes. 1 can of tomato paste. 1-2 onions, 1-2 boxes of sliced mushrooms. Green pepper or two. 4-8 tablespoons of chili powder, some pepper, cumin, salt. Can add in a pound or two of ground beef if you want. You don't have to brown it, but it tastes better if you do. A handful of peanuts adds some interesting texture. 

Put the crock pot on low for 8-10 hours. Done. 

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Potato is so good! D:

The Potato is proof that God Loves Us.

It's one of the few foods that can provide a range of nutrients and calories to keep you going for weeks.

It can be prepared in so many different ways and also act as a compliment to so many other foods.

Potato is Very Good.

GEM

• Like 10

Just now, Cyradis said:

Got recipes that don't involve beans? Sir Cyr doesn't like beans. 

Beef Stew:

Potatoes

Carrots

Beef cut into smallish cubes (not too small or they dissolve)

Onion

Garlic

Tomato paste

Salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, paprika, cumin 

Beef broth

Put everything but the meat in the crock pot. Brown meat, add to crock pot. Turn crockpot on low for 6-10 hours. Add a slurry of water and flour at the end to thicken. 

• Like 9

Stew sounds tasty. Mmm stew. Oddly, my curry-gruel goes well with my passionfruit ale. 

• Like 9

Day 2 of OPERATION: RECLAIM THE HOBBY/STORAGE ROOM has gone well.

So far, I've removed 5 white trash bags of garbage (it would have been fewer but I was too lazy to break down every single box), and 1 big black trash bag + a small box of stuff to donate. I've discovered that it's actually immensely satisfying, hucking those bags into the dumpster, and realizing that's junk I'll never have to deal with again. :bday: No more shuffling it around, or stuffing into drawers, or forgetting I have it, or dusting it, or vacuuming around it, etc. Goodbye, junk! :bday:

What has made it easier is my realization that I hold onto a lot of things, not necessarily for the thing itself, but because of the memories attached to it. I've circumvented that by taking a few pictures of each thing that I don't really need any more, then tossing or donating it. I got rid of about a dozen old t-shirts alone just by following this method! ^_^ My moderate hoarding tendencies must not be allowed to prevail!

I've also been ruthless at getting rid of all the little boxes and tubs and random containers that tend to collect small things and papers over time. Instead, I got a bunch of Sterilite drawer thingies and have been transferring useful stuff (mostly hobby things) to them. Once I've gotten the rest of the room sorted, I'll go back through the drawers and do a second culling. So far, it's mostly been "Oh, this is a hobby tool, it goes in this drawer" or "Oh this is a Reaper mini, it goes in the bottom drawer" etc. Several of the drawers are getting a bit heavy though; I'm certain I could fill a couple of Goodwill boxes on my own! :lol:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

I hold onto a lot of things, not necessarily for the thing itself, but because of the memories attached to it.

I do a version of this with books.  I have a really good memory for things I've read for the most part.  I keep books I like a lot because when I see them, i can recall most of the story from just that.  Because of this, I don't tend to get rid of books.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

I do a version of this with books.  I have a really good memory for things I've read for the most part.  I keep books I like a lot because when I see them, i can recall most of the story from just that.  Because of this, I don't tend to get rid of books.

Yeah, the books will be the hardest for me, for the same reason. I organized all of our bookshelves last year, intending to get rid of a bunch, and only managed a medium-sized box. We have 3 very large bookshelves. :mellow:

I'm very glad MrBoot is not a stuff person, like I am, otherwise we'd have a big problem! I like stuff, it makes me happy, but lately I've realized that I'm getting tired of expending so much energy on it every day. Trying to make space for things, shoving stuff out of sight when company comes over, realizing I literally have nowhere to put my new Reapercon loot, etc. I'm done with it! Phooey! :lol:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

The Irish in me says hello brother!

Erin Go Bragh!

GEM

Whose ancestors  can be traced back to most of North-Western Europe

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Have to get up at 2:30 tomorrow morning. I’d worry about that, but I could probably sleep now. Just need to pack up the backpack before that for my inevitable hitting the snooze alarm then head out into the dark. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Erin Go Bragh!

GEM

Whose ancestors  can be traced back to most of North-Western Europe

Pretty much if it's Celtic, Germanic, Scandinavian, or Southern US Native American then I have some of it.  I refer to my ethnicity as American Mutt.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

Pretty much if it's Celtic, Germanic, Scandinavian, or Southern US Native American then I have some of it.  I refer to my ethnicity as American Mutt.

Go far enough back and we are at least cousins if not brothers.::):

GEM

• Like 7

I am sitting here convinced that there was something I was going to do this evening, but for the life of me, can't remember what.

- I've got all the parts for my 2019 RCon diorama entry figured out, most of them ordered, and the rest wish listed until I can afford them. 
- I've got all the books and minis gathered for the first session of the high school RPG club tomorrow. 
- I'm caught up on my work. 

and yet, I'm still sitting here positive that I'm forgetting something. 

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

I am sitting here convinced that there was something I was going to do this evening, but for the life of me, can't remember what.

- I've got all the parts for my 2019 RCon diorama entry figured out, most of them ordered, and the rest wish listed until I can afford them. 
- I've got all the books and minis gathered for the first session of the high school RPG club tomorrow. 
- I'm caught up on my work. 

and yet, I'm still sitting here positive that I'm forgetting something. 

Welcome to my world.

I make lists.

Lists of things that need to be done.

Lists of things to pick up from the grocery store, the hardware store, etc.

Without the lists, I'd spend a lot of time going back for that one forgotten item.

As a list-maker, I find the Reaper U notebooks are a real handy size and easier to find this time of year when school supplies are well stocked

GEM

• Like 9