Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

13 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

After you make your chili you can serve it with whatever side dish lights up your taste buds.

I like Hormel Chili with Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.  It's an easy and fast meal when there isn't time [or energy] for scratch cooking.

Wife likes her Mac&Cheese without any garnishments.

GEM

I wish it had been after.  They cooked it up all in the same pot.

Now I'm thinking of my brother's chili.  Yes, there were beans, but it had some heat.  He'd start off with picante sauce as a base, add a jar of jalapenos, a can/bottle or three of beer, and plenty of meat.  Real "five alarm" stuff.

• Like 8

I'm probably going to get leaned on to make chili pretty soon... need to have decent peppers, though, and it's not easy to get decent peppers, for some reason.

I might just do baked beans, though; those went over well, albeit I think I need to modify the formula I used. At least I need to double it. o.O

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Kheprera said:

Beans in chili?

Heathen.

Then I'm a heathen.

A delicious heathen.

Who also puts corn in his chili. And then covers it with cheese. And often throws in a handful of oyster crackers. Really, I just treat it like a thick and hearty soup.

I have been looking for a good meat chili recipe, though. One that I can adapt into a delicious hot dog chili. My recipe just doesn't fare well in that regard.

I am bored at work tonight. There's nothing going on, and there's not really any cars out either. This weekend is also going to suck. On Friday I have my standard 11:30p-8a shift that comes with the midnight shift, but my coworker who normally works 5p-5a on Saturdays is off this week which means I get the 5p-5a shift on Saturday. So I get off work at 8am, drive half an hour back home, try to get to sleep as fast as possible, then wake up at 3:30 so I can make my way back into work for 12 hours. And the WVU football game, which was an away game in NC, got cancelled because of the hurricane, which means all the students who would have left to go to the game are going to stay in town. And by then we'll be getting the after effects of the hurricane, which means it's going to be miserable out. So I'll be getting soaked to the bone and having to deal with drunken idiots who are mad that they didn't get to go make drunken idiots of themselves elsewhere thanks to their sportsball game being cancelled. Hopefully the weather will suck enough to keep most of them from coming out to the bars, but I've seen them go out in 10 degree weather with 8 inches of snow on the ground, so I'm not too optimistic about it.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 8

Just now, Sylverthorne said:

I'm probably going to get leaned on to make chili pretty soon... need to have decent peppers, though, and it's not easy to get decent peppers, for some reason.

I might just do baked beans, though; those went over well, albeit I think I need to modify the formula I used. At least I need to double it. o.O

If you can't find "decent peppers" in your local market try to find a Hispanic Market.

As a last resort, there are the dried peppers available in cellophane bags from the makers of Hispanic Spices.

GEM

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Could likely order some from New Mexico farms for good peppers. Mmmm. NM peppers. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

If you can't find "decent peppers" in your local market try to find a Hispanic Market.

As a last resort, there are the dried peppers available in cellophane bags from the makers of Hispanic Spices.

GEM

Fresh is usually better.. for about everything. That having been said, I get most of my spices from Penzey's, and they do carry dried peppers, and some decent chili blends. But there's not much beats the kick and flavor from fresh peppers. ^^;

(side note, if you discover you have a Penzey's brick and mortar store in reach, I am vaguely envious. There /is/ one in Seattle, somewhere .. but I don't drive in cities.)

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Cyradis said:

Could likely order some from New Mexico farms for good peppers. Mmmm. NM peppers. 

The Pepper Growers evidently have a campaign going right now to promote the use of US Grown Peppers.

When we passed through Albuquerque I noticed a sign on the front door at Earle's Restaurant promoting the use of US Grown Chiles.

Earle's has really good New Mexico Style and Native American Style food as well as a traditional "American Food" menu.

GEM

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

Fresh is usually better.. for about everything. That having been said, I get most of my spices from Penzey's, and they do carry dried peppers, and some decent chili blends. But there's not much beats the kick and flavor from fresh peppers. ^^;

(side note, if you discover you have a Penzey's brick and mortar store in reach, I am vaguely envious. There /is/ one in Seattle, somewhere .. but I don't drive in cities.)

Try Savory Spice. Boulder had one and they rock. A Penzey's came in nearby and lasted... maybe a year. Savory Spice is SO good. They have a heck of a pepper selection, chili seasoning... any sort of yum. And they have recipes. 

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Then I'm a heathen.

A delicious heathen.

Who also puts corn in his chili. And then covers it with cheese. And often throws in a handful of oyster crackers. Really, I just treat it like a thick and hearty soup.

I have been looking for a good meat chili recipe, though. One that I can adapt into a delicious hot dog chili. My recipe just doesn't fare well in that regard.

Oh, I bet you'd like mine, then; it has 2 kinds of beans and 3 kinds of meat, and is so thick I skip the spoon and just scoop it up with tortilla chips. :wub: I can see hot dogs working well with it, actually. 

It's also nicely adaptable as far as spice level goes. The longer it cooks, the spicier it gets! So for super mild, 2-2.5 hours, mild-medium up to 3.5 hours, then medium is 4+ hours. If I'm making it for MrBoot, I throw in cayenne pepper to kick it up an extra notch. 

I'll type up both versions of the recipe in the Good Eats thread (one is regular and the other is more mexican-style flavors). 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 10

Good lord do I love peppers. Back when we had space on our apartment porch, I had all sorts of peppers! I'm so proud of my dear love, his family is very..... hmmm.... let's just say that ranch mixed with mild buffalo sauce is spicy. I still love them haha! But he's done very well trying new foods and spices. :wub:

• Like 11

And if you want to grow them from seed or seedling... I can give you my spreadsheet and a pepper plant shop online link. 

Mmm serranos. I do love those. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

The chilemonster.com logo is worth a peek, even if you aren't shopping for chile's

GEM

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

And if you want to grow them from seed or seedling... I can give you my spreadsheet and a pepper plant shop online link. 

Mmm serranos. I do love those. 

I already grow from seeds and I wanna know!!! I've been trying to make them into teeny bonsai and the results have been ... interesting! I want to still have my pepper plants when we move somewhere with space in a few years. My serranos were actually the only ones I kept!

• Like 8

I never managed to get mine to do well indoors if they ever had time outdoors. One aphid would turn into enough to kill the plant inside, but outside they'd survive. If I wanted an indoor plant the thing was never allowed out - EVER. 

Remind me in morning and I'll send you my excel sheet. It is CO specific on planting dates and whatnot though. Internet is being fussy right now (typing on phone atm). 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1