Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

7 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I'm reheating my crock pot slop which has potatoes. No microwave yet, so it is back in the pot. OM NOM. 

Microwaves make potatoes taste icky anyway. 

6 hours ago, Erifnogard said:

The Irish in me says hello brother!

Did you eat an Irish person? :wow:

3 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I am supremely disappointed that Dark Matter was not continued. :mellow:

Same. They left so many interesting plot hooks too!

2 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

I am anti-beans on principle. I grew up somewhat poor, beans were cheap, I was bean-ed out long before I grew up.

I couldn't even put beans in burritos until I was 21. And they had to be whole beans only, none of that refried junk. And I grew up in California.

I'm sorta the same, except opposite. When I was little I couldn't stand the texture of beans, even though we had them all the time. Then when I was about 19 (well into cooking for myself) I suddenly found that I loved the heck out of them. I think it's because my dad tended to cook things to death, because there's a lot of things I hated when I was little, but I love now. 

And count me for the heathen side. I put all the beans in my chili :lol:

• Like 10

The best chili I ever had was in this little family place down in Texas, kinda out in the middle of nowhere. :devil:

I've never had anything quite like it since....

To further stoke the flames of the food war:

Pineapple on Pizza is delicious.::P:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Kheprera said:

Beans in chili?

Heathen.

The word you're looking for is poor. And meat is expensive. ::P:

4 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

I am anti-beans on principle. I grew up somewhat poor, beans were cheap, I was bean-ed out long before I grew up.

I couldn't even put beans in burritos until I was 21. And they had to be whole beans only, none of that refried junk. And I grew up in California.

And yup, beans are cheap!

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Microwaves make potatoes taste icky anyway. 

Same. They left so many interesting plot hooks too!

I'm sorta the same, except opposite. When I was little I couldn't stand the texture of beans, even though we had them all the time. Then when I was about 19 (well into cooking for myself) I suddenly found that I loved the heck out of them. I think it's because my dad tended to cook things to death, because there's a lot of things I hated when I was little, but I love now. 

And count me for the heathen side. I put all the beans in my chili :lol:

My dad love this terrible eggplant Parmesan dish that was soggy and rubbery and gross. I thought I hated eggplant. Turns out, just hated that abomination.

19 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

The best chili I ever had was in this little family place down in Texas, kinda out in the middle of nowhere. :devil:

I've never had anything quite like it since....

To further stoke the flames of the food war:

Pineapple on Pizza is delicious.::P:

You monster!

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Good lord do I love peppers. Back when we had space on our apartment porch, I had all sorts of peppers!

My second year in my house, I put in a small garden as well as having some pots on the porch. I grew bhut jolokias(ghost peppers), habaneros, and serranos on the porch. In the small garden I had a few varieties of bird's eye/Thai chilis, poblanos, Tabascos, and an F1 hybrid of cayenne and something else.

I learned that bird's eye chilis will put out so many peppers per plant that you really only need 2 or 3 to last you for a long time. Off of 4 plants I probably pulled over 1000 peppers for the season. I strung them and dried them, and I've been slowly using them for years. They're small but they pack a wallop. I also learned that mincing 2 or 3 habaneros into scrambled eggs for breakfast every morning is a great way to start the day.

I had plans to continue after that, but my seedlings the next year got broken by a storm, I didn't have time to start new ones, and I didn't want to/couldn't buy new ones so I let everything get overgrown. I had done a whole bunch of research on optimal soil conditions, fertilizers blends, and all sorts of crap to make my peppers flourish like never before. I was going to do raised planters and everything. Never happened. Haven't planted a garden since. Still have all the vermiculite and pearlite that I was going to make my soil blend with sitting in my basement, still have the plastic barrel that I was going to cut in half and use as my first raised bed sitting in my shed, all that.

• Sad 11

It looks like Hurricane Florence may be a non-event here, after the possibility a couple days ago of it parking right over North Carolina.  While the new forecast is a good thing for me, it may not be a good thing for anyone who lives south of here.  Charleston, SC may be under greater threat than Raleigh now.

I'm still going to finish getting supplies for my hurricane preparation.  Most of the supplies left to get are non-perishable (like plastic tarps) or can go with the food I've already bought, like bread to go with the tuna packets.

• Like 13

Ya know, because of their weird pointy ears, I have a hard time recognizing these boxers as the same sort of dogs as Brutus. Why do people do that to them... 

They also have these weird stubby tails...

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Then you won't want to hear that I put mushrooms in mine.........:ph34r:

And here I thought I was the only one who did that. I find they hold the blended flavor of the chili really quite well. 

I used to just slice them and throw them in.  But my wife hates mushrooms, so I started dicing them to be so small that she can't identify them.  

5 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

The chilemonster.com logo is worth a peek, even if you aren't shopping for chile's

GEM

They need minis of that logo!

• Like 9

About 1,5 hours until extraction. NASA 808 is the chase plane if you want to track. NASA TV should have the event live. Will probably lose connection soon.

• Like 12

5 hours ago, redambrosia said:
11 hours ago, Erifnogard said:

The Irish in me says hello brother!

Probably not.*

*any claim as to the veracity of eating or not eating is unverified and unconfirmable

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Ya know, because of their weird pointy ears, I have a hard time recognizing these boxers as the same sort of dogs as Brutus. Why do people do that to them... 

That's because some people think cropped ears and docked tails look good for some reason. I've never really understood it. I mean, everyone loves a wagging tail, so why turn it into some tiny little nub that looks like the dog had a poo got stuck on the way out? And as for ears, if you don't want floppy ears, don't get a breed that has floppy ears. Get one that has naturally perky ears, like a collie, or a German shepherd...

• Like 10

53 minutes ago, Unruly said:

That's because some people think cropped ears and docked tails look good for some reason. I've never really understood it. I mean, everyone loves a wagging tail, so why turn it into some tiny little nub that looks like the dog had a poo got stuck on the way out? And as for ears, if you don't want floppy ears, don't get a breed that has floppy ears. Get one that has naturally perky ears, like a collie, or a German shepherd...

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I have had Boxers since I was 5..

At first you could only get them with docked tails.

The cropped ears were something some owners did, we never did.

Odin was the last one who had a docked tail, after him it was forbidden by law.

So I now have a tailwagging Brutus and I love that.

Why did people do that?

Well I never liked it.

But the Boxer , no matter how cute and sweet they have been bred these days, originates from fighting dogs.

And by making sure there was no tail and maybe less ears they would have less vulnerable points.

This is also a reason they got a bit of loose skin, biting in skin without damaging organs is preferred...

I'm very happy that Boxers were bred into family snuggledogs, they will still protect you though.

And they're still strong, agile and resilient to pain.

Never underestimate the tail though, they are like whips, and a Boxer standing next to you and is happy to see you, you might get a flogging of love.

To me, they're the best friends a human can have.

They play, they snuggle, they protect.

Okay, they also drool a little ( Brutus not so much because he only gets treats in his bowl) they still think they're lapdogs and will suffocate you out of love.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 6

9 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I am supremely disappointed that Dark Matter was not continued. :mellow:

A TV show then? There are so many I will never see. 

8 hours ago, Kheprera said:

Beans in chili?

Heathen.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XXChcvVPv2A

06530d7cd8c5268fc433e793a7599a15.jpg

<_<

(But like Sheldon, sometimes I like that other stuff that has beans in it... ...whatever it is.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1