Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

12 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

The Potato is proof that God Loves Us.

It's one of the few foods that can provide a range of nutrients and calories to keep you going for weeks.

It can be prepared in so many different ways and also act as a compliment to so many other foods.

Potato is Very Good.

GEM

Just remember to eat the peel.

Megan has just about gotten used to the fact that I don't peel the potatoes before mashing them. (But mocks my supercilious tendency to call potato mashers 'ricers'....)

The Auld Grump

• Like 10

Just now, TheAuldGrump said:

Just remember to eat the peel.

Megan has just about gotten used to the fact that I don't peel the potatoes before mashing them. (But mocks my supercilious tendency to call potato mashers 'ricers'....)

The Auld Grump

*nods

Definitely leave the peel on. Last night I did discover that my masher apparently didn't nice with me to NYC, so I had to use the wooden spoon. 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I like some beans in chili, but I wouldn't make them my main constituent usually. Sir Cyr just doesn't want any, if avoidable. Sometimes I make him deal with a little bit, or lentils. 

I tend to just consider chili to be a spicy stew with chili peppers in.

Pork + white beans + green chili peppers + cumin + salsa verde is pretty good. Sometimes I add dice tomatoes in the last hour of cooking. (Eight hour chili - boil the the dry white beans briefly, then pour into the slow cooker with the meat, chili peppers, salsa verde, and cumin.) My portion, and Megan's portion, also gets a generous splash of jalapeno pepper sauce.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

WOOF confirms a succesful resupply of USA WOOF HQ!

@Thes Hunterhas received the supplies.

Thank you for the information:devil:

nods sagely while making note of the location.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

I have had Boxers since I was 5..

At first you could only get them with docked tails.

The cropped ears were something some owners did, we never did.

Odin was the last one who had a docked tail, after him it was forbidden by law.

So I now have a tailwagging Brutus and I love that.

Why did people do that?

Well I never liked it.

But the Boxer , no matter how cute and sweet they have been bred these days, originates from fighting dogs.

And by making sure there was no tail and maybe less ears they would have less vulnerable points.

This is also a reason they got a bit of loose skin, biting in skin without damaging organs is preferred...

I'm very happy that Boxers were bred into family snuggledogs, they will still protect you though.

And they're still strong, agile and resilient to pain.

Never underestimate the tail though, they are like whips, and a Boxer standing next to you and is happy to see you, you might get a flogging of love.

To me, they're the best friends a human can have.

They play, they snuggle, they protect.

Okay, they also drool a little ( Brutus not so much because he only gets treats in his bowl) they still think they're lapdogs and will suffocate you out of love.

Docking and cropping sounds like traits desired for a (dog) fighting or (bear) baiting dog.

Glad to hear that the practice has stopped.

The Auld Grump - similarly, I have always considered declawing a cat pretty damned barbaric.

• Like 11

The kids game last night started early and ended later than I really like having kids games go - but they have finished the Village of Hommlet. (For some reason I can never remember the spelling of Hommlet... Two Ms and one T, or is it the other way around... or is it double of both? (Two Ms.))

They never did figure out that the outfitters were moles for the bad guys, and Sam continued to distrust Elmo.... So, they were telling the bad guys all of their plans, while dodging the mid level character that could have seriously boosted their abilities.... ::P:

Gary Gygax was at his best when he was writing low level sand box style adventures. Village of Hommlet and Keep on the Borderland were his two best adventures.

The Auld Grump

18 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

SNORT!

Grump left out the Morning Mouse Misadventure.

We woke up with the box trap rattling, and inside was a wee timorous mousie.

So we take the box a few blocks to the woods, and Grump opens the trap.

And the mouse doesn't come out.

So Grump shakes the box.

BOING! Out comes the mouse.

And BOING! the mouse jumps back up and grabs a hold of Grump's shirt, and WON'T LET GO!

Help me, Grumpy One Kenobi! You're my only hope!

He had to TALK THE MOUSE INTO LETTING GO. He didn't want to either hurt the mouse by grabbing it, or let the mouse bite him by grabbing it, so he starts PETTING IT and TALKING TO IT until it lets go.

And it worked.

Eventually.

He's lucky it didn't pee on his shirt.

I didn't mention it because I feel kind of guilty about it.

I have no idea why it jumped on me, maybe it was trying to hide?

But leaving it in the woods made me feel like I was betraying the poor thing. ::(: (But was better than it becoming Khatt or Tomathy's afternoon snack.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Hide contents

Gary Gygax was at his best when he was writing low level sand box style adventures. Village of Hommlet and Keep on the Borderland were his two best adventures.

Truth. Great sandboxes both. I really need to run Keep again...

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Truth. Great sandboxes both. I really need to run Keep again...

For many years Keep has been the model for sand box adventures - it has a bit of everything.

And in Elizabeth Moon's Deeds of Paksenarian series... book two seems strangely familiar to anyone that has played Village of Hommlet. ::):

The Auld Grump - one thing that has remained consistent - after the PCs kill the giant crawdad.... they eat it.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Microwaves make potatoes taste icky anyway. 

Put the potato in a Tupperware (or equivalent) and add a splash of water. Close the lid and microwave for the normal time. Potato will be cooked without drying out or getting mushy like it would from boiling. 

• Like 9

58 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Docking and cropping sounds like traits desired for a (dog) fighting or (bear) baiting dog.

Glad to hear that the practice has stopped.

The Auld Grump - similarly, I have always considered declawing a cat pretty damned barbaric.

declawing a cat /is/ barbaric; they don't just take the claw off, they take off the end of the 'finger'. Just imagine your own fingers, a whole joint shorter; that's what a declawed cat gets to deal with. :/

I can think of a very, very few situations where shortening an earflap /might/ be beneficial. Most of them have to do with preventing an infection from getting worse, and shouldn't be necessary. >.<

I got nothin' for tails; that's just unnecessary. Dogs got tails. Dog tails wag. Anything in the vicinity goes on the floor or gets beat on. This is known. If that's a problem... don't get a dog.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

my rescue cat is declawed. Happy to say he's living a very happy life and it doesn't seem to bother him, but i agree that the practice isn't a good one. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

You mean the WWII grenades?

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Morihalda said:

The forgetfulness things:  I am so forgetful it's not even funny anymore. To be frank, I wasn't this forgetful until my depression set in hard core about 10 years ago. It comes and goes with my depression, it's super weird. So like this last year, wow, it's a miracle I've remembered half the things I do.... >_>

Your brain is busy dealing with other thoughts, so some forgetfulness is to be expected.  The hard part is to persuade your brain to forget about the thoughts you want to forget so that you've got more space to remember what you want to remember.  It's like a musician or dancer deliberately training themselves to have specific reflexes--it takes time, effort and usually instruction and nurturing.  ^_^  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4