Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

Ahhhh........

The satisfied sound of a simple meal of homemade comfort food having been consumed.

It was good enough that we will be having "leftovers" tomorrow night.

Cooking for two is problematic when the casserole  dish is sized for a family of 4, but it sure makes for tasty leftovers.

It could have been better, as I ran out of Sharp Cheddar before I ran out of casserole dish.  The mild cheddar cap did cook up to a nice golden brown with crunchy bits [which Cathy doesn't care for so more for me].

And yes I did serve Hormel Chili as a condiment.

GEM

[soft belch]

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Ahhhh........

The satisfied sound of a simple meal of homemade comfort food having been consumed.

It was good enough that we will be having "leftovers" tomorrow night.

Cooking for two is problematic when the casserole  dish is sized for a family of 4, but it sure makes for tasty leftovers.

It could have been better, as I ran out of Sharp Cheddar before I ran out of casserole dish.  The mild cheddar cap did cook up to a nice golden brown with crunchy bits [which Cathy doesn't care for so more for me].

And yes I did serve Hormel Chili as a condiment.

GEM

[soft belch]

Problematic? I just see that as meal planning. 

Okay, some homework done. Clothing ironed. ReaperCon swag bag minis added to my tracking spreadsheet... sadly still raining so the dogs aren't going to want to go for a walk. 

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

This.  If I spiced most dishes with as much heat as I like I would be the only one that would eat it.  And too sometimes you want the vinegary hit more obvious than cooking it in would give you.  I like the taste of the Tabasco, I'm not just adding it for the heat. 

Somehow my vinegary and peppery needs don't often intersect. My main use for vinegar is a an elfton of balsamic in a salad dressing or a caprese salad. Sometimes I'll use it in sauteing veggies and whatnot. Peppers go in other stuff. Okay, lots of other stuff, but I can't think of anything that I cook that calls for both items at once. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Problematic? I just see that as meal planning. 

Okay, some homework done. Clothing ironed. ReaperCon swag bag minis added to my tracking spreadsheet... sadly still raining so the dogs aren't going to want to go for a walk. 

I like the way you think.:winkthumbs:

Actually, It saves me a lot of time and effort when I can have one cooking session serve up two meals.

Even though there are only two of us, I will cook a full rack of ribs and we have ribs with various side dishes for three evening meals running.

GEM

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

All this talk of hot sauce reminds me of an amusing incident at a local Mexican place.  I added hot sauce to the salsa.  I mean who the heck bothers making salsa that isn't hot. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I like the way you think.:winkthumbs:

Actually, It saves me a lot of time and effort when I can have one cooking session serve up two meals.

Even though there are only two of us, I will cook a full rack of ribs and we have ribs with various side dishes for three evening meals running.

GEM

My usual is to make a weeks worth of lunches every sunday, and over the weekend make enough food to have dinners for most, if not all of the week. This week it's beef stroganoff and mashed potatoes. Heavier than I usually go, but it was cold, and I wanted yummy comfort food. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Crowley said:

My usual is to make a weeks worth of lunches every sunday, and over the weekend make enough food to have dinners for most, if not all of the week. This week it's beef stroganoff and mashed potatoes. Heavier than I usually go, but it was cold, and I wanted yummy comfort food. 

Since we have one if not two more hot cycles to go through before moving into fall-likie weather I won't be planning or preparing very many "heavy" meals for a few weeks.

When the weather finally turns the crock pot will come out and stand out of my way::):, man at work cooking here.

GEM

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

I do love salsa

One of the Chile recipes I use calls for a jar of salsa in lieu of some of the tomato sauce.. Is delicious

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, eldamir said:

One of the Chile recipes I use calls for a jar of salsa in lieu of some of the tomato sauce.. Is delicious

I make a Taco pizza with salsa as the sauce.  I've also subbed it for spaghetti sauce before. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Erifnogard said:

I make a Taco pizza with salsa as the sauce.  I've also subbed it for spaghetti sauce before. 

Salsa makes the best spaghetti sauce!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

All this talk of hot sauce reminds me of an amusing incident at a local Mexican place.  I added hot sauce to the salsa.  I mean who the heck bothers making salsa that isn't hot. 

TRUTH. Okay, that's a good use for the drippy bottles. If the salsa isn't hot, it is just pico de gallo. Can be tasty, but salsa should at least have some heat. 

Apparently my introduction to salsa at age 2 was a hilarious event. Santa Fe restaurant, used a chip to hoover in salsa.... until a few minutes later when I started clawing at my tongue. Shame my folks didn't video that. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

1 minute ago, Cyradis said:

TRUTH. Okay, that's a good use for the drippy bottles. If the salsa isn't hot, it is just pico de gallo. Can be tasty, but salsa should at least have some heat. 

Apparently my introduction to salsa at age 2 was a hilarious event. Santa Fe restaurant, used a chip to hoover in salsa.... until a few minutes later when I started clawing at my tongue. Shame my folks didn't video that. 

Did they at least feed you a glass of milk?

GEM

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Did they at least feed you a glass of milk?

GEM

I don't remember. By the way they tell it, they just laughed and gave me some chips. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Talking of salsa makes me wish I had some in the house.  I like to pull the stem out of a mushroom and fill it with salsa and pop it whole into my mouth!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1