Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

The Mexican restaurant in Delta Utah doesn't have tequila. No liquor license, and Utah is... well... Utah. 

Hours and hours of field work and we all wanted a margarita. NO TEQUILA. 

I was going to rescue the situation and just make some in our water bottles. Alas, NO DARN LIQUOR STORE. 

We had ice cream instead. 

• Sad 11

1 minute ago, Kheprera said:

Truth.

Michigan, went to their "Mexican" restaurant. Everything was heavily laden with chili powder. Apparently chili powder = Mexican food there.

Bleh.

Kind of like when restaurants think 'slop a lot of cayenne pepper on something and it's Cajun!'

Cajuns do use cayenne yes.  But just slapping a ton of cayenne on something doesn't equal Cajun!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Nathair said:

??? This thread is like a squirrel just running all over the place 

Sounds about right given the name.

...Which is why it's the most awesome thread ever!  Until it's locked down at a thousand pages, but never fear, we rise from the ashes even more random!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

14 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

Kind of like when restaurants think 'slop a lot of cayenne pepper on something and it's Cajun!'

Cajuns do use cayenne yes.  But just slapping a ton of cayenne on something doesn't equal Cajun!

But it might equal tasty. 

A family friend carries a jar of cayenne everywhere and drenches about every meal in a layer of red-orange pepper. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Cyradis said:

But it might equal tasty. 

A family friend carries a jar of cayenne everywhere and drenches about every meal in a layer of red-orange pepper. 

Mostly my objection here is related to the fact that a lot of Cajun food is similar to French food.  If all you do is douse your dish in cayenne then that isn't  Cajun.  You need to do some haute cuisine sheet to that dish!  Probably involving lots of butter!

CCa

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

Mostly my objection here is related to the fact that a lot of Cajun food is similar to French food.  If all you do is douse your dish in cayenne then that isn't  Cajun.  You need to do some haute cuisine sheet to that dish!  Probably involving lots of butter!

CCa

Certainly. Cayenne is not the magic piece that makes Cajun food. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

Best mini pepper thing I did: 

Hollow out mini bell peppers. 

Mix soft goat cheese with turmeric and chopped smoked salmon. 

Shove cheese-salmon goop in peppers. Roast 'um. 

Could probably also put some spice in there. In that case I didn't (Gramma can't have even a flake of black pepper and she wanted food). 

I love putting everything in bell peppers! I would love to try this.

1 hour ago, Erifnogard said:

Since this has turned into Reaper Recipes, my favorite sushi place makes a tempura fried sweet potato roll with eel sauce.  I can eat nothing but that and be completely satisfied.  (To be clear, the sweet potato is tempura fried and then added to the roll, not the whole roll fried)

Hoo boy. That sounds amazing. I love getting eel just for the sauce and I love getting vegetable tempura for the sweet potato. Oh my gods. I want sushi so so bad now. Man.

1 hour ago, Nathair said:

??? This thread is like a squirrel just running all over the place 

Absolutely yes. :)

• Like 10

47 minutes ago, Kheprera said:

Truth.

Michigan, went to their "Mexican" restaurant. Everything was heavily laden with chili powder. Apparently chili powder = Mexican food there.

Bleh.

We have a branch in Bessemer City, NC (about 30 miles west of Charlotte). I've been out there for work and the locals took me out to lunch. One of the times we went to the "Mexican" place in Bessemer City.

I recommend that you don't eat "Mexican" food in small towns in North Carolina.

Strongly recommend.

• Haha 11

Now I want sushi, but I'm full of my curry-gruel. The sushi is only on the other corner from my apartment.... so close.... 

Just now, Doug Sundseth said:

We have a branch in Bessemer City, NC (about 30 miles west of Charlotte). I've been out there for work and the locals took me out to lunch. One of the times we went to the "Mexican" place in Bessemer City.

I recommend that you don't eat "Mexican" food in small towns in North Carolina.

Strongly recommend.

Did they have tequila? 

• Haha 9

Just now, Erifnogard said:

i'm getting that Utah isn't on @Cyradis's  Christmas list.  ::D:

Utah has redeeming features. I have a field site there that has this stuff: Image result for red beryl

Okay, my specimens aren't that pretty, but it is that sort of thing. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Cyradis said:

Utah has redeeming features. I have a field site there that has this stuff: Image result for red beryl

Okay, my specimens aren't that pretty, but it is that sort of thing. 

That looks like somebody chopped up some Red Hots and stuck them on dirt.  So  basically awesome sample!  I'm not even kidding cause I'm a geologist too!

• Like 2
  • Haha 10