Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

15 minutes ago, eldamir said:

... much rather do the shooty thing instead.

Definitely the same for me. Give me handguns, selective-fire automatic weapons, 16" naval rifles, whatever.

One of the things I didn't like about AFROTC field training* was that we only ever got to fire .38 cal. wheel guns for firearms proficiency.

* It turns out that there was more than one thing I didn't like about AFROTC field training. :B):

• Like 11

8 hours ago, redambrosia said:

One of my favorite things about my job is meeting new dogs. You can tell they're happy and excited if they beat you with their adorable tails. I love dogs! 

So... yeah.... have been feeling unwell lately... in a "female" way... but for longer than usual....

Just confirmed today.... I'm pregnant ^_^ 

:bday:

Megan will be around, offering 'Morning Sympathy'. ::): (Morning sickness, my arse! Megan was sick any time of day in the early pre-days of Brigid Danger.)

The Auld Grump - and any form of sympathy I tried got the 'you don't understand' look. <_<

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Do not like CS. Definitely not.

Nope, nope, nope.

Then you'd hate a good pepper spray(OC). I'd say half of our local PD are veterans, and all of them have said they'd rather be hit with CS again than get hit in full with our OC again. They say that CS's effects go away in about 5-10 minutes once you're out of it, even without you having to shower or anything. But the (OC) stays with you until you wash it off, and even then it sticks around because it gets into all your pores and everything.

Of course, the thing about OC is that it comes in a variety of formulations and strengths, where CS is pretty standardized. So your average can of OC isn't near the level of the stuff carried by our local PD.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, eldamir said:

I was my Company training officer which meant that I got to do all of the chemical things… By the time I left that job I could do the cs tent without the mask.. I would not want to try that now, and would much rather do the shooty thing instead

I was in the civil side of the DOE so I got the CS test but never got to play with the shooty things.  Was really disappointed about that.  Since we each had our own masks we got to use them in the test so we did have the fun of watching the guys who cut slits in the mask so they could smoke sweat the test and attempt to suffer through the tear gas because damaging the masks could be considered a firing offense. 

And yes, we had about a half dozen every year who would try it.  Again, this was a civil job and most of the guys just didn't recognize the hazards they were working in.  It eventually stopped when the company began to insist on mandatory Chelation on anyone who had leaks in their masks.  Then they started drilling holes in the filters for the cigarette and changed the filter just before the test.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 8

3 hours ago, TGP said:

That feeling that there are dots unconnected...

Why does Utah require that Sir Cyr have a work visa?

Utah doesn't. Sir Cyr is coming to the great mapley north. Utah has field work but needs tequila. 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

I know the stuff is just annoying, but it is still chemical and not something you would like to inhale on a regular basis.

We have good masks, so if all goes well, I won't even smell it.

A few years ago I had a leak in the mask though, wasn't pleasant.

I once got into the chamber and discovered that my mask Did. Not. Work.  I felt that inside the chamber was a sub-optimal place to raise this particular subject, as the Warrant Officer would then do an idiot check.  For civilians playing along, this means that he would do the equivalent of the Tech Support thing where they go through the troubleshooting steps starting with "is it plugged in?".  While snorting tear gas (which is actually more of a powder - imagine a small room where a can of ground black pepper has recently exploded).  Option 2 was to keep quiet, let the useless thing drain when we took them off to put them back on (It's the Marine Corps, just go with it), and leave the room in the shortest time available.  I then went to my buddy in the NBC shop who was favorably disposed towards me because of that time I saved him from drowning in the shower (yes, really).  Turns out that when my canister swapped sides (I shoot left -handed) the old valve didn't get swapped, so I was breathing in through a naked filter intake and exhaling clean air through my filter.  Two minute fix if you know what's wrong.  So I guess the moral is don't let the plumbing facilities murderize your comrades.  Or something.

16 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

I was in the civil side of the DOE so I got the CS test but never got to play with the shooty things.  Was really disappointed about that.  Since we each had our own masks we got to use them in the test so we did have the fun of watching the guys who cut slits in the mask so they could smoke sweat the test and attempt to suffer through the tear gas because damaging the masks could be considered a firing offense. 

And yes, we had about a half dozen every year who would try it.  Again, this was a civil job and most of the guys just didn't recognize the hazards they were working in.  It eventually stopped when the company began to insist on mandatory Chelation on anyone who had leaks in their masks.  Then they started drilling holes in the filters for the cigarette and changed the filter just before the test.

Dummies.  You smoke through the drinking tube.  Carry a spare canteen cap.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Wait Whut?

There were guys who wanted to smoke cigarettes :blink: during :ik_oops: a gas mask test??

Edited by TGP
...apparently I took stupid pills this morning and they are working...
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, kitchen_wolf said:

Dummies.  You smoke through the drinking tube.  Carry a spare canteen cap.

No drinking tubes on these masks. 

1 minute ago, TGP said:

Wait Whut?

There were guys who wanted to smoke cigarettes :blink: during :ik_oops: a gas mask test??

No they were smoking while working in an environment contaminated with airborn uranium and Plutonium.  You know, because the cigarette filter is as effective as a certified HEPA filter and organics filter.  The plant insisted on the employees using the same mask that he works with because too many cut filters were being discovered "lost" in the waste bins.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

In Oklahoma I had a potato salad.

They had mashed the potatoes! :blink: That's just wrong, man! Just plain wrong!

For salsa, I have become addicted to Trader Joe's Cowboy Caviar.

I have tried to make my own, but... there seems to be something missing when I do it myself. (I'll figure it out eventually, but meanwhile, I will just buy the Trader Joe's.)

The Auld Grump

I'll have to stop by trader Joe's soon...

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

No they were smoking while working in an environment contaminated with airborn uranium and Plutonium.  

Sometimes you've just got to let Mr. Darwin have his way.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 6

Apparently my computer didn't remember me hitting save when I was inventorying my minis. I lost dozens of lines and columns of work on that. GAHH. 

OOH WAIT.... it got renamed somehow?! 

• Confused 9
  • Sad 4

23 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Apparently my computer didn't remember me hitting save when I was inventorying my minis. I lost dozens of lines and columns of work on that. GAHH. 

OOH WAIT.... it got renamed somehow?! 

This happens to me sometimes when I have the file open in Windows Explorer preview as well as my spreadsheet/document

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

This happens to me sometimes when I have the file open in Windows Explorer preview as well as my spreadsheet/document

Only had it in a single Excel file to my knowledge. Oh well, it is all good in the end. 

• Like 11

Isn't there something meditative about updating your mini spreadsheet?

What? I like spreadsheets...

• Like 7
  • Haha 7