Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

3 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

At RC, @TaleSpinner recommended using scalpel blades rather than X-Acto blades, though he was specifically recommending them to address some of the ... features ... of greenstuff. I already had some, so I've started using them, and they're remarkably good at cleaning up plastics; much sharper than the hobby blades. Note that they're not really the right size for hobby-knife handles, but you can crank down and get the handles to work.

The #11 blades are very nice for most hobby tasks I've tried so far.

I'll remember that, because I have more supply runs to do in the near future so I'll have an opportunity to get some scalpel blades to try.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, FaekiasDracon said:

We lost power for nearly 3 hours last night, the most annoying thing about it was trying to sleep without my cpap.

At least it’s back now!

The outermost rain band is almost here.  It’s getting interesting.  I’m not sure this is a good thing.

• Sad 9

42 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

At RC, @TaleSpinner recommended using scalpel blades rather than X-Acto blades, though he was specifically recommending them to address some of the ... features ... of greenstuff. I already had some, so I've started using them, and they're remarkably good at cleaning up plastics; much sharper than the hobby blades. Note that they're not really the right size for hobby-knife handles, but you can crank down and get the handles to work.

Yeah, I'll never go back to hobby knives after trying scalpel blades.  They are just so much sharper making the job that much easier.  They also clean flash of Bones well.  I use the Feather brand, but now it looks like Amazon isn't carrying them anymore.  Might have to switch to a new brand next time I need to order.  A box of 100 has lasted me for about 5 years of hobbying, though I am starting to run low.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

I got some sleep last night, then Megan dragged me off for karaoke. ::):

Her birthday present for me hasn't arrived yet - I suspect that both of us are going to be scuttling away to paint in secret. ::P:

And, I got a definite answer from Sam about Razor Coast.

No. She does not want to run it, she wants to play it.

Followed by WHEN am I going to run it? :lol:(Have I mentioned she is bossy?)

So, after Legacy of Fire, more piracy.

Also - looking at Razor Coast gave me the answer of how to set up the Fey Forest adventure her parents have me writing - instead of random encounters an large selection of encounters, and a sheet to write down what encounters happen when.

A series of general encounters, a series of Summer is Winning, a series of Winter is Winning, and a series for Balance is Maintained.

Winter and Summer are at war, Autumn and Spring are allied, and trying to maintain balance.

Summer is not Good.

Winter is not Good.

Too far one way and fey-touched Fire Giants start popping up. Too far the other way and it's Frost Giants.

For what it is worth, Spring and Autumn are not Good, either, just healthier for everyone around them.

And, with a foot in both Spring and Autumn courts is the village midwife - a disguised Aranea hedge witch. (Neutral Good, genuinely helping the village, but also acting as eyes and ears for the fey.)

But the Wild Hunt is also Autumn.

And children will go missing in the Springtime. (Fun plot line - while it is a kidnapping by the fey, it is also a rescue - the father is not a good man. If the kidnapping is somehow prevented, the children will die, come Winter.)

I have come to really like the format of Razor Coast, no two GMs need run it anything like the other.

It also makes adding new encounters easy, which I think Sam will enjoy.

The Auld Grump - a lot of the planning for Sam's Fey Adventure was done in my sleep last night. There are times when I love being a lucid dreamer. (And the Aranea's human form may have looked a great deal like a witch of mine acquaintance. :lol: Wearing her glasses!)

*EDIT* The Aranea is married to a paladin, who was not present in the dream... but has a Hellhound companion that may look a bit like a mastiff/golden retriever cross.... (Lawful Good Hellhound - when the paladin dies the Hellhound will latch on to his soul and... follow him home. A later encounter is with the Hellhound reborn as a Hound Archon. The Hellhound gets a happy ending. ::):)

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 7
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

At RC, @TaleSpinner recommended using scalpel blades rather than X-Acto blades,

I sacrifice enough blood to the Blood God using x-acto blades. No way I’m going to something sharper.  :ph34r:

• Haha 18

1 hour ago, FaekiasDracon said:

We lost power for nearly 3 hours last night, the most annoying thing about it was trying to sleep without my cpap. Our cable/internet/phone was

out for most of the morning so far (got it back sometime within the last hour while I was cooking and/or eating breakfast).

We get enough power outages that someone has made a battery backup system you can hook your CPAP to.  (Also good for camping.) I can't quite be bothered to go that far, but I will agree that losing the CPAP is the most annoying consequence of a power outage.  Hope the storm goes easy on you.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

I sacrifice enough blood to the Blood God using x-acto blades. No way I’m going to something sharper.  :ph34r:

When you cut yourself with a sharp blade, you can get a really deep cut, it's true.

But the edges are cleaner, so they heal faster (or so I've been told). And a sharp blade is much more likely to only cut the things you actually want to cut, so they don't cut me very often. As long as they're not breaking, the sharper the better, AFAIAC.

• Like 13

39 minutes ago, Erifnogard said:

Yeah, they are scary.  I've stuck them into my finger twice now such that the tip got stuck in the bone.  It hurt.  I bleed for my art.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

2 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I'll remember that, because I have more supply runs to do in the near future so I'll have an opportunity to get some scalpel blades to try.

Lord, Doug, I want him to keep all of his fingers! If you're going to use scalpel blades, then get the scalpel blade handle as well, but if you get a handle, then you need a pair of well gripped pliers - preferably actual forceps as well because you use the forceps to grip the blade to attach the blade and take it off so that you don't cut your finger off. (Check youtube for how to videos.)

I assisted in surgeries for 13 years and never once cut myself with a scalpel blade due to safe practices. You really do need to be cautious with them. Without a proper handle, it would be safer to use them with no handle at all rather than something they could slip out of.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

Lord, Doug, I want him to keep all of his fingers! If you're going to use scalpel blades, then get the scalpel blade handle as well, but if you get a handle, then you need a pair of well gripped pliers - preferably actual forceps as well because you use the forceps to grip the blade to attach the blade and take it off so that you don't cut your finger off. (Check youtube for how to videos.)

I assisted in surgeries for 13 years and never once cut myself with a scalpel blade due to safe practices. You really do need to be cautious with them. Without a proper handle, it would be safer to use them with no handle at all rather than something they could slip out of.

I started out with 13 fingers and still have most of them left.  You worry too much, I got plenty to spare.  I bet I could lose another 5 and still be able to open cans.

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

Just now, buglips*the*goblin said:

I started out with 13 fingers and still have most of them left.  You worry too much, I got plenty to spare.  I bet I could lose another 5 and still be able to open cans.

I know you can't see it right now, but I am shaking my head at you and making a face like this. <_<

• Like 2
  • Haha 14

Just now, Guindyloo said:

I know you can't see it right now, but I am shaking my head at you and making a face like this. <_<

The Power of Imagination lets me see that quite clearly.  It also lets me see magic unicorn ufo pixie aliens with magic rainbow frisbees who shoot candy corn death rays from their eyes.  Faced with such deadly deliciousness, only one man can save us!

Pac-Man!

Troo story.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

Just now, buglips*the*goblin said:

The Power of Imagination lets me see that quite clearly.  It also lets me see magic unicorn ufo pixie aliens with magic rainbow frisbees who shoot candy corn death rays from their eyes.  Faced with such deadly deliciousness, only one man can save us!

Pac-Man!

Troo story.

I'm going to eat your unicorn cereal when I get home. On camera so you can see me eating the deliciousness but can't have any of it yourself.

• Like 2
  • Haha 15

Just now, Guindyloo said:

I'm going to eat your unicorn cereal when I get home. On camera so you can see me eating the deliciousness but can't have any of it yourself.

You are a heartless fiend, devoid of all pity. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 16

3 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

You are a heartless fiend, devoid of all pity. 

Don't try to sweet talk me now.

• Haha 17