Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

23 minutes ago, TGP said:

I wonder if a strong neodymium magnet could pull it out of there. I think they make them in cylinder form 2mm diameter x 4mm tall. 

Probably not, the mini audio plug's exterior is usually not feromagnetic. being very precise with a pin vice might work, or adhesive on a pin

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Thingiverse also has files for nifty little widgets designed to hold your minis while you paint.

It grips the base, and has a top handle for resting your finger to steady the model or to hold the mini upside down to get into some of the harder to reach areas on Scotsmen figures.

MiniVICE X looks like the most flexible, but there are a fair number of them out there.

The Auld Grump

That sounds a lot like a Hobby Holder. I have 3 of them now with some attachments that they make. I don't have access to a 3d printer so I backed the KS and am so happy I did.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, ShadowRaven said:

that's super cool of them. 

That's what I was thinking.  I'm so much happier with the Fire Kid's edition than I was with her previous Nabi tablet. 

31 minutes ago, TGP said:

I wonder if a strong neodymium magnet could pull it out of there. I think they make them in cylinder form 2mm diameter x 4mm tall. 

As @Werkrobotwerk said, probably not.   I have another one of the headphone plugs, I'm curious now and will see, but even if it is, I can't try it now as I already dropped the tablet off at UPS for the exchange. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Let us just say that Ral Partha used to have a mini for an orc in a kilt....

With the traditional Scots undergarment.

The Auld Grump

A blue ribbon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ35SOU9HTM

Loved this song ever since I first heard it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

I wish. 

Nope, this is a guy who does stuff like this:

Call #1 - "My Teller is down"
Call #2 - "I'm not getting any voltage"
Call #3 - "We changed the chips, and now it's worse."
Call #4 - "What is this circuit board?" 
Call #5 - "We're going to go steal a part from our other location."
Call #6 - "that didn't work." 

So on, and so forth until we get to call #13: "Help, we've been down for 2 days!" 

None of the messages are over 10 seconds long, and are basically a step by step of everything he's doing (wrong) - they came straight to my inbox last night, and I checked if he tried to use the emergency after hours service line as well - he didn't.  Meaning 13 calls to me without once selecting the option for the emergency line. 

Meanwhile, tech support tends to hate my calls because I have a bad habit of leaving like... 3 minute long voice mails....  With way more detail than what was needed >.>;;;;

But wow, multiple short messages that don't really say much, and every time the emergency support (which, at a fee, could have fixed the problem fairly quick by the sounds of it) was totally ignored....

• Like 4

If Skaven brewed a warpstone flavored energy drink, would it be called Rat Bull?

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

16 minutes ago, Arkady said:

If Skaven brewed a warpstone flavored energy drink, would it be called Rat Bull?

You should save this for @Glitterwolf and the next daily questions thread. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Meanwhile, tech support tends to hate my calls because I have a bad habit of leaving like... 3 minute long voice mails....  With way more detail than what was needed >.>;;;;

But wow, multiple short messages that don't really say much, and every time the emergency support (which, at a fee, could have fixed the problem fairly quick by the sounds of it) was totally ignored....

I generally don't mind the long messages with lots of detail as long as they leave their phone number at both the beginning AND end of the voice mail. I get annoyed when they leave it at the end, and I don't catch it, and I have to listen to the whole message again just to get the phone number.  Then there is this guy, who only leaves his name and no phone number.  Fortunately for him, I've been working with him for 16 years now, and can recognize his voice. 

In his case, it's not a simple problem.  It's 20 year old equipment that's obsolete and had an original intended lifespan of 10 years. I've been telling him to replace it since 2010. There are only three of us who can actually help him fix it, and I'm the only one available to him directly - to get to the other two, I have to refer him up to them.  And none of us do after hours service on a regular basis.  So the on call tech couldn't have helped him anyway.  However, the on call tech does know how to reach me directly after hours, and could have contacted me to see if I was available to call him back last night.  I would have called him back and set an appointment for first thing in the morning, which would have given him a two hour head start on calling him back this morning and getting coordinated for the troubleshooting we've been doing.  I've been working with him now off and on for 3 hours already. We're just about to the point where we're going to run out of things we can try before I'm going to have to tell him "It's dead Jim."  Which means he'll have to buy a new teller, something he's been trying to avoid for 8 years now. 

And just so you don't think I rag on all my customers, I have had multiple calls/emails today where I've been able to help and I've actually enjoyed talking to those people. Of course, that's because they're not calling about 20 year old equipment well past it's intended lifespan.  ::D:

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Probaly something more like Flaming Star Manslayer or something, and of course come in those oversized cans....  With packaging that glows.  Brightly.  Possibly dangerously.

1 minute ago, kristof65 said:

I generally don't mind the long messages with lots of detail as long as they leave their phone number at both the beginning AND end of the voice mail.

That's something I picked up on a while back.  If it's a long message, yeah, info at beginning and end, since not all voicemail systems will let you push a button to go back just 5-10 seconds.

I'm still really bad with yes or no questions, where I'll give upwards of a two paragraph answer...  But sometimes I'll usually catch on about five seconds in when they give me a weird look....

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, klarg1 said:

Glass aquariums that stay empty for a long time can sometimes develop problems as the glue and sealant between the glass panes ages. Moving them a lot also causes stress on the joints (not an issue sitting on a shelf). Acrylic tanks have fewer of these problems, but might get scratched up a bunch over time.

I have successfully used tanks that were sitting empty for 3-4 years without any problems, but I would take it outside and test-fill it first.

I have also seen what happens when a second floor aquarium springs a leak, and decides to drip 10-12 gallons of water on the floor over night. :mellow:

I guess I've been lucky then, because I've used glass tanks forever and never had one spring a leak even after spending years in the inhospitable hell that is my mother's attic. And glass tanks are stupid expensive, which is why I'm loathe to sell it off and then have to buy a new one in a couple years.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Unruly said:

I guess I've been lucky then, because I've used glass tanks forever and never had one spring a leak even after spending years in the inhospitable hell that is my mother's attic. And glass tanks are stupid expensive, which is why I'm loathe to sell it off and then have to buy a new one in a couple years.

Yep. I've had more success than failure, but I have had failure, so I thought I'd mention it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Zink said:

A blue ribbon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ35SOU9HTM

Loved this song ever since I first heard it.

Only if you win first prize. ::P:

I remember a conversation about the John Denver version, and how it couldn't possibly be John Denver, since he would never sing a song like that.... ::D:

Finishing off Down the Well tonight.

The Auld Grump

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Wrote up my blog about the Paint Pucks that I bought. Now to wait until I hear back from the people who make it to see if I can use their gif since I've yet to figure out how to do my own.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Arkady said:

Actually, I think they were the original creators of the vile green Monster drinks.  As that worked out really well, some Overlord decided to add other ingredients and market different colors and flavors.  Seems to be working well for the Skaven.

• Haha 10

28 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Finishing off The characters who went Down the Well tonight.

FTFY

Seriously! who goes down a well and expects to survive.  That lesson has been in place since the 80s...

Even before Atuk, there was a death well in the City-State of the Mad Overlord!  you just don't go down wells... ever!

• Like 6