Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I have the mini - I painted her up as wearing a gilt ceremonial breastplate, because rounded orbs of fatty tissue do not make sense on a mummy.

Not that the Egyptians had any nudity taboos. (Or the Greeks, for that matter.)

In my Tomb Kings/Empire of Dust army, she is The Beautiful One, consort of The Sun Himself (self chosen title) and mother of Glory of the Sun (who changed his name when he became Pharaoh).

In place of the typical undead scorpion I painted up one of the Reaper giant scarabs - pushing a golden orb with its hind legs.

Now, if I could make a Swarm of mummified cats, sans their BONK enclosures.

The Auld Grump

This is one of the few Reaper minis who have an official backstory. Last paragraph:

Fatima returned to life and threw off her death wrappings. The tomb burst asunder even as the burial procession retired from their duties. She emerged triumphant to the shrieking of a hunting hawk high above. Sokar's messenger had come at last, and the Khamsin could be redeemed.

She is a former mummy, original COD self-administered poison, and now the messenger of Sokar. 

ETA: What did you do about the rest of the living tissue ...limbs, tummy, etc... on your painted version?

Edited by TGP
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, haldir said:

I've been trying to print each day with the printer. Downloaded the swag bag code from RCon this year (nice timing!!) Mine was the Cavern starter set. Rastl said hers was the village set. Kinda curious on how many different items were offered. My current que is tents & altars. Need to flesh out the mage/zombie encounter in Pandelver when the party gets back to that adventure. Love the Fat Dragon stuff, but really starting to like the OpenForge designs as well. Currently printing off the top half of a 28mm Army Bell tent. Looks like that'll make for a great wizard tent.

Funny, tonight I was filling out the magic item/treasure sheet for my latest pbp here on the forum when I noticed the printer was making a weird noise & then noticed there was no filament line going from reel to post (ie it was disconnected!). Ended up changing out a few things & cleaning my nozzle for the first time. I should have done that earlier. Printer sounds better & the current print looks better.

Loving this printer!!

Still holding of on getting the printer. First round of fall cash went to pay all my house and land taxes and house and farm insurance. Instead I've been reading and watching tons of stuff about the printer. It looks like it will even do respectable minis with the right settings. My kids are even getting interested in trying it out when (not if) we get it. Should download some software and get myself trained up on the digital sculpting end while I'm waiting. There's enough stl files out there I want to print to keep it going for weeks if not months even if I can't modify or make my own yet. The only software I've tried was sketchup2017 and it won't import stl files which makes it kind of pointless for me. Need to shake the bushes and see if I can get some of the people that owe me money to pay up. I want more toys!!! ::P:

• Like 7

Ugh.

Sitting here watching the IT guy in Calgary reprogram my VOIP extension on their phone system.

Again.

He had to do a firmware update on Friday to fix another problem, but apparently the DST switch over the weekend broke whatever he did on Friday. At least he didn't ask to get into my router this time. That always causes a fight.

I hate letting him into my network. He always wants to make changes to my network without explaining why.  If something on my network needs to change, tell me what and why, and I'll change it. I'm not going to let him break everything else on my network just so he can experiment with my phone extension.

@Zink - I use Fusion 360, under Autodesk's free hobbyist license.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Zink said:

Should download some software and get myself trained up on the digital sculpting end while I'm waiting. There's enough stl files out there I want to print to keep it going for weeks if not months even if I can't modify or make my own yet. The only software I've tried was sketchup2017 and it won't import stl files which makes it kind of pointless for me. Need to shake the bushes and see if I can get some of the people that owe me money to pay up. I want more toys!!! ::P:

My go-to software is dead as the company still allows a download, but their license server for the “free” version is mysteriously offline for the last five months.

I’ve started using FreeCAD, which was what I used for that replacement CAV arm and drone I was talking about in a couple of threads. I don’t know if a stl file is importable, but as a professional CAD driver, I’m honestly impressed with it. It is parametric, which I rely on at my day job, and was sorely missing in a lot of the software I had tried.

I’ll try to lookup the stl manipulation software I have installed. Been using it to cut models up, to print bigger items than my printer allows. 

• Like 7

AAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a first.  I just hurt myself doing a tech support phone call.  I've been doing phone support now for 20+ years and I've never managed to hurt myself while talking on the phone until today. 

Pulled a groin muscle while trying to look at a circuit board on my test set while helping a customer. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 11

6 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

AAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a first.  I just hurt myself doing a tech support phone call.  I've been doing phone support now for 20+ years and I've never managed to hurt myself while talking on the phone until today. 

Pulled a groin muscle while trying to look at a circuit board on my test set while helping a customer. 

Sorry for your pain... and I gotta admit, I have WANTED to hurt myself on some support calls, but never actually done it.  Kudos?

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

7 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Hmmmm... they are $23 each in the US with free same day shipping from Amazon. And weirdly enough almost $80 in Canada.  Apparently crossing the border doubles the price?

However, if you search for Henry James coffee grinder, you will find the same unit for half the price!  I can attest from one of my buddies that, to all detectable criteria, it's the same grinder, just a different name on the label.  At least his was....

Good luck.

Yeah, Amazon Canada can be weird like that sometimes - its usually a seller thinking they can make a quick buck off of those who don't pay as close of attention to other places it can be acquired.  I'll look into that alternate one as well.   Other times it's pricing that's similar to if you'd ordered it from the Amazon US site including their border transit fees. 

I do love my Baratza Encore, but it picked up the problem all Encore grinders get after a bit some time ago - a decent amount of (coffee) dust comes out of it...  And getting the one I want is, uhm, well...  I'm not paying $5-600 CAD for a coffee grinder. 

4 hours ago, Grayfax said:

Make a point about it.  Take the loud coffee grinder to work.  And a 4 Cup coffee maker (or one of the Melitta cup top pour over coffee makers).  Every time you need more coffee, grind the beans.  Because... that's how you do it at home!  If anyone visits, just hide the Keurig in the pantry or something.  Smile and Grind!

Sadly it was a decision made much higher up, like corporate overlords two levels above kind of thing.  Something about how they felt after the merger it was unfair legacy employees got such (but everyone else didn't), but it would cost the company 5x as much to give it to everyone.  To me, in the long run, my main thought was "if I'm paying for it, then I guess I'll just start ordering third wave coffee beans like we used to because I prefer beans anyways, even if 5am me complains about having to grind coffee". 

If we get half off our current employee pricing, I'm fine with that.  Just means instead of getting $100ish (retail pricing) worth of coffee for free every month, I'll be getting the same amount for the cost of two OCS packs. 

I'll be perfectly happy with it if they bring Alpine roast to Canada!!!  They teased us with it in our merger swag bags, and we can't get it in Canada!  Soooooo good for cold brew in a box... 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Grayfax said:

and I gotta admit, I have WANTED to hurt myself on some support calls, but never actually done it.  Kudos?

That must be the bashing your forehead into the desk? ::D:

I've been there.  But more frequently I want to reach through the phone and slap people. 

A number of years back the other techs and I half jokingly designed a "remote support collar", which was a combination of a streaming body cam and a dog shock collar.  The idea was that someone could put one on and we could see what they were seeing, but also stop them from doing anything dumb. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

36 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

That must be the bashing your forehead into the desk? ::D:

I've been there.  But more frequently I want to reach through the phone and slap people. 

A number of years back the other techs and I half jokingly designed a "remote support collar", which was a combination of a streaming body cam and a dog shock collar.  The idea was that someone could put one on and we could see what they were seeing, but also stop them from doing anything dumb. 

There was one day a month or two ago that I wanted to slap three different people through email/Skype. I don't deal with very many people in a day, so three in the same day was very unusual. SWMBO knew how annoyed I was when I mentioned wanting to slap the first one...

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

What's worse than Monday?

Monday after DST.

I used to think that I wanted Monday to die in a fire...

Now I actually want it to live, but be so horribly disfigured so that it's ashamed to show its face...

Boxmaker at work was seriously pissing me off today...

A single bale of 20-inch wide fanfold cardboard produces two boxes side-by-side with about an inch of scrap on the side. (B = box, F = flap, blue is scrap)

BOX.jpg.613e7c5fe244469f37e555359c575fee.jpg

When we put our previous bale on there, we discovered that for some reason the left-most flap wasn't as wide as the other three...

Then we realized that we'd changed the size of the bale (we'd had a 26-inch wide bale on there before), so we ended up having to input the new width on the machine. After doing that and resetting the machine, the problem pretty much away.

Today we finished off the last of that bale and loaded 20-inch bales onto both sides of the machine, so we wouldn't have to stop to reload again for a long time. Once again, we noticed that the left-most flap was not the same size as the other three - about a sixteenth of an inch short. This happened on both bales - i.e., both sides of the machine.

Even though we can load two bales into the machine, one on each side, there's only one set of cutters and creasers so you can only run one side at a time, and the transverse cutter has to pick up each of the six cutter/creaser heads one at a time and move them over to the other side in order to switch sides.

We tried for half an hour, everything we could think of, to get it to fix itself - pulled out the cardboard and reloaded it, input different widths into the machine,  reset it, switched sides, etc. We dug around deep in the advanced settings side of the program that we're not supposed to be touching, to see if there was a parameter we could fiddle with. Nothing.

It's like someone took the programmed cuts and creases for the box and shifted the whole elfing thing a sixteenth of an inch to the left so that the left-hand  "edge" of the left box is out past where the left edge of the cardboard is.

In the end, we just decided that it didn't make enough of a noticeable difference to affect the quality of the boxes, and just said screw it and ran them that way.

This is only the second style of box we've made (the previous one was larger so we ran it on the 26-inch wide board), so we have no idea if this is going to be a continuous problem with the 20-inch board or not.

Sometime soon, we're going to have to call the machine's tech support and ask them a few things. We don't know where to find a copy of the manual for the program on the disc that came with the machine, so we're pretty much relying on just the two days of training that we got when we started and what we can figure out ourselves. There's got to be simpler ways of doing things and better solutions to our problems than what we're currently doing, but until we can find the software manual and actually study the damn thing, we're just making it all up as we go along.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6

7 hours ago, TGP said:

This is one of the few Reaper minis who have an official backstory. Last paragraph:

She is a former mummy, original COD self-administered poison, and now the messenger of Sokar. 

ETA: What did you do about the rest of the living tissue ...limbs, tummy, etc... on your painted version?

I added more bandages - part of my audience was (and still is) younger than PG-13 will allow.

The Auld Grump - probably why Megan didn't recognize that booty. ::P:

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Now, if I could make a Swarm of mummified cats, sans their BONK enclosures.

The Auld Grump

The encounter goes horribly wrong if there is a druid in the party that can talk to animals....

'Feed me!'

'Do you have food? Feed me!'

'Food?'

'Pet ME!'

'You aren't a mouse, I'm not hungry and you're not interesting....'

'Food!'

'I meant to do that!'

'FOOD!'

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 1
  • Haha 15

Stressful weekend. Stressful day today. 

I’m not able to have a dog where I’m living but I am an uncle to several dogs in the family.

On Friday my Sisters 7-8 year old Labradoodle, Kayla, wasn’t acting her normal nutsy hyperactive self. Barely moved around, wouldn’t eat.

They took her to the vets where they discovered a large growth on her spleen. Had to wait for today to get the test results back. Good news is that it’s not cancerous, but she’ll need to go through surgery to have the growth removed.

Yesterday while out running errands because my sister didn’t want to leave Kayla alone, my brother in law and my 11 year old nephew were in a car accident. Nephew wasn’t injured but my brother in law has soreness which the doctor says is typical in traffic accidents when someone’s muscles tense up because they see an accident is about to happen.

Also looks like the car will likely be a write-off.

After my sister picked up her husband and son from the accident scene, she was busy running around the house trying to make everyone comfortable, her mind on her family and dog, anyway she missed a step and fell down the stairs. Nothing broken, just bruised and sore.

Considering how easily each of these things could have ended so much worse, I’m just thankful everyone is still here.

Like I said, it’s been a stressful and upsetting couple of days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 21

8 hours ago, TGP said:

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I added more bandages - part of my audience was (and still is) younger than PG-13 will allow.

The Auld Grump - probably why Megan didn't recognize that booty. ::P:

I painted mine bluuue. Egyptian blue, to be precise, the color I see on so many artifacts at the museum over yonder (other end of neighborhood, way cool).

Front view still probably violates site policy on nudity. Blue bits is still bits.

Sigh. I am feeling a bit goofy. Prolly from stress. Sorry.

• Like 9