Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

On 11/9/2018 at 10:38 AM, aku-chan said:

One day I'll get better at estimating how much greenstuff I need to mix, or find another way of plugging the gaps in slotta bases.

This is why I have multiple projects running concurrently. When I make too much GS for my main project, I can use the excess on the other one.

On 11/9/2018 at 12:36 PM, Flit said:

Are cats supposed to like peanut butter?  I know my dog loves it but a few days ago I was eating peanut butter and one of the cats started sniffing it. I gave him a little bit on my finger, not expecting him to try it. But he loves it now I have the dog and one of the cats trying to eat my peanut butter. The other cat was offered a taste, but she ignored it.

My cats think they're dogs. They like sooo many not 'normal' cat things.

23 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I got the results of the genetic test! Baby doesn't have Down's syndrome (yay!) and is a girl!!! Double yay!!!

Yay!!

• Like 10

Okay, chili is done, lunch consumed... time to take the compost to the farmers market, and then walk the girls. After that? Washing the tub & bathroom walls, making the meatloaf... let's see, what else... I'm sure there's something else... It'll come to me. 

Oh yeah, I need to order more greenstuff! :lol:

• Like 9

19 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Word to the wise: A screaming barbarian with a flaming axe makes a great distraction. (Jon is pulling the beholder cult in one direction, as I and the other sneaky, sneaky types sneak in from the other.)

The Auld Grump - he is also carrying more than half the party's potions, right now.... Healing, elemental resistance, smoke bombs, and a potion of invisibility - so when he thinks that he has drawn them far enough away then he can sneak away in a puff of smoke.

The scheme worked like clockwork.

Screaming, raging clockwork, swinging a flaming axe!

He kept and held the attention of the gauth and the halflings, while the rest of us dashed in and rescued the people we could rescue, and recovered the bodies of the people we could not save.

Then we broke the plan, and instead of waiting for the bloodrager to return, we came up behind the halflings and laid waste unto them.

We got to see the beholder - though a crystal ball - until the beholder either broke the connection or the crystal on its side - but the background looked very much like the interior of the temple... except in pristine condition.

Jon was kind of flabbergasted that I told the warforged juggernauts to stay with the ship - and to stay safe. The poor guys are victims, even if they are fifteen feet tall and made of brass.

Now that we have rescued the officers of the expedition, I think that it is time to return home - the Society team needs to heal up, recover, and de-petrify as many members of the team as they can recover.

Then... I think we are heading back to Metrol - as soon as we can find a place to stash the Orrery - I have a feeling we are going to be looking for either another like the one we have, or a bigger one... one big enough to cover a city.

We also need to either put points into Knowledge [Planes] or add somebody that already has that Knowledge to the team. (Ideally, I would like to add an Oracle to the party - either as a PC or as an NPC member.)

But, right now... back to the city of towers... Beautiful Sharn. (When we get our own holding, I want someplace away from the city... my character has been putting funds to get ghis mentor's place out of hock - after I manage that, I want to go hunting up the old man, and find out what happened to him. He was the NPC that both bought my character's freedom, and introduced him to being a Vigilante - I highly doubt that he is dead and gone.)

The Auld Grump - Sharn has libraries - so when we level our characters I will add a point to Knowledge [Planes], then go diving into the stacks between games. Already, we have been to two places with planar congruities. (Which i something I have never much messed with as a GM - Megan is now deep into terre inconnue. ::): )

• Like 11

well.  my plan was to do hobbying today.  That was not to be.  sump pump decided to fail on.  only reason it has lasted as long as it did was because its been raining and yucky all week.  got back from my trip and discovered the basement smelled of steam and electric magic smoke.  The water in the pipe out from the pump was the temperature of hot tea.

So off to the store for a new pump. And then an second trip to the store for the associated PVC pipes and fittings because the old stuff cracked when I tried to pull it apart.  And then to get the lights in that room to work right...

So, after the local hardware store gave me their Most Visits person award for the day.  I got everything together and started it up.  So far, no leaks.

Maybe some hobbying this evening?  Tomorrow is shot due to other engagements and packing for my next trip. 

I need a break from adulting.

On a side note:  apparently the locals have decided that there isn't much exciting news.  Today's headline:  "Local Town complains about rash of men braking cars."  Stop signs are meant to be suggestions maybe?

• Like 9

Yard had been cleansed of tree debris. 

Again.

Time for a shower, then maybe prep a figure for a speed paint YouTube tomorrow. Unless I get some suggestions, it’s going to be pretty random. 

• Like 8

Got a short break this morning. Picked out some Shadows of Brimstone characters for our next go around which should hopefully be soon(tm?). I'm getting some Minivember done today. I've gotten caught up to yesterday and I'm working on the ones for yesterday. I might not get anymore than that done but it's getting done at least.

I was going through my email today and remembered that I backed a KS like 2 years ago now that still hasn't delivered. The last update I got was in July of this year. I'm not expecting to get them at this point since they are "still in manufacturing" from my understanding. I've no idea if I could get my money back even if I knew how. It's frustrating. I mean they weren't that much but that's $30usd I could have spend on paint or something.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

12 hours ago, Unruly said:

Yea, I can do that. But, if it comes down to it, I'd rather not. I hate putting more holes in particle board than I need to, because particle board is already fragile enough on its own compared to solid wood. I think I'll look and see if they sell extras of those rubber feet things. Sticking about 10 more of those things on top of the drawers would probably solve my worries, because then it's 14 points of high-friction contact vs 4. If they don't sell extras and I wanted to be a bit sleazy, I could always say I didn't get the ones that were supposed to come with it originally and get "replacements" that would put it at 8. Which would probably be passable. 4 in the corners about an inch from the edge, with 4 more in the center of the sides about 3-4 inches from the edge.

One technique to strengthen particle board is to drill a pilot hole then pack the hole with type II wood glue before starting the screw.  Also, don't use too large a screw.  A smaller diameter but slightly longer screw will provide a more secure fastening than one too large in diameter that disrupts too much of the particle board.

GEM

• Like 4

Wife got a call from daughter earlier today. ::D:

The kids live in the Roseville area, which is about 20 minutes east of Sacramento. ::):

The fire in NorCal has basically leveled the town of Paradise, north and east of where the kids live, about an hours drive away. :down:

The one burning in SoCal has between 200,000 and 250,000 people under mandatory evacuation and parts of Malibu and adjacent communities are on fire.

The winds are currently down, with a wind shift pushing the fires back in the direction they came from.  No joy though as the Santana winds are supposed to return late this afternoon. ::(:::(:  In areas it has burned right down to the tide line for the Pacific Ocean.

We are snug and safe here.

I worked on minis last night ::): and today my eyes are bothering me, a lot.  Time for new glasses.::(:

On Tuesday we are scheduled to visit the King Tut Exhibit.  :bday:  Cathy asked if I was planning to take a camera as non-flash photography is permitted.  I said no, they will probably have picture books full of better and more detailed pictures than anything I could take available for purchase so we will most likely be adding to our library.

Plans are to go to our favorite Chinese Restaurant in Chinatown after.  They do seriously good Seafood dishes. :winkthumbs:   Many of you have probably seen the interior of this restaurant as scenes from Jacki Chan's Rush Hour were filmed there.

GEM

• Like 13

Actually cleaned off my hobby table today. (GAH!) Organized my Warpaints as well. I'll try & get the Reapers tomorrow (thou that may take awhile since they are what most of my paint collection consists of). I may try & paint something later tonight, as I need to paint a door mimic I printed for Death House game on Monday.

I kinda wish I would have snagged that bottle of Army Painter primer when I did as I have no idea where my Reaper primer is right now & it's kinda cold outside for a spray prime, hmmmm.

• Like 10

44 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Looks like I'm gonna be in Hawaii for Christmas, and in the air flying home on New Years. 

Well, I'm sure seats for hamsters are much cheaper than human type people. :lol: 

(Is it weird that sometimes I imagine you as one of those giant hamsters from the Kia commercials, walking your corgis, getting i light saber battles, etc..? )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

10 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Well, I'm sure seats for hamsters are much cheaper than human type people. :lol: 

(Is it weird that sometimes I imagine you as one of those giant hamsters from the Kia commercials, walking your corgis, getting i light saber battles, etc..? )

Not weird at all!!

We're gonna even go see the Green Sand Beach!! I didn't even know there WAS such a thing!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

Looks like this:

8479A07D-D457-49C8-83AD-176C12F9D0A9.thumb.jpeg.8ee9297f2edfc9853244c922aef3bc3f.jpeg

B672ACBA-71CE-40C3-97D1-98F76837B7BD.thumb.jpeg.a3e74819f52cacf1c9c9ff41c6a949c2.jpeg

Tall and reasonably narrow. The upper hutch is optional. It isn’t going to fit in my new space, and it seems, in my hands, to be an invitation to clutter. ::P:

Hemnes is the actual name...

Ah, that's also a no then. It looks like it's too small. I need it to be both longer and deeper than that, but I can't go any longer than about 52 inches. I've got a spray booth that will be taking up close to half of my work space on the desk, which is why I'm trying to get as big a desk as I can while still fitting in the space I have.

Also, it doesn't look like Ikea sells that one anymore. It doesn't show up on their website, so I'm just guessing at the dimensions of it.

• Like 6

Has anyone really LOOKED at the plastic insert in chocolate orange packages? I feel like the curved parts would be useful for a project, but I can't work out how to make them .. work.

It IS kind of flimsy....

• Like 7

On 11/8/2018 at 12:40 AM, Zink said:

One of the other chunky paints I strained and think got something useful. The last was a bottle of nurgling green which definitely lived up to it's namesake. It was almost full and only 2 years old. It was a nasty, multicoloured glop with chunks. Paints like this are why I quit buying GW. It was old and nasty when I bought it and it was still sealed. Found an attachment for my dremel that looked like it might work better than my pink wire and stirred it a lot. Then ran it through a strainer after mixing a fair bit of water and flow improver in. Not sure what it'll paint like but I'm weird about not wanting to throw things out if they might be usable. @knarthex

Chunky paint is good for weathering effects, and if it's thin and chunky, the liquid part makes a decent wash. I usually grind up the chunks until they're just a bunch of grit and then use it for weathering or dirt, etc., depending on the color.

Each bottle is going to end up with its own unique properties, much like an old brush with a curled tip - still useful, but you kind of have to invent a specific technique for using it.

On 11/8/2018 at 7:39 PM, Unruly said:

Also, because diamonds are just a slight step removed from coal, they burn. Sure, it takes something like 900C to get them to ignite, but that's doable as it's at the lower end of what blast furnaces operate at when smelting iron.

Now, if we could just figure out how to get diamonds to melt into a liquid state so that we could cast stuff with them...  I want a life-sized diamond skull.

EDIT: Y'know...

I wonder if flash-pressing a person into a diamond while they're still alive would trap their soul in the resulting stone...

Because I'd start wearing a tie every day if I could have a platinum tie clip adorned with the souls of two dozen of my enemies.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 11
  • Confused 1