Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

This science fiction convention has been pretty relaxing.

Our favorite musician has developed carpal tunnel so he couldn’t play his guitar. He gave an entire concert a capella with the audience clapping rhythm and singing along.

The kids have been taken to the place with red velvet waffles and Oreo pancakes, so they’re happy.

Some thematic sci fi birthday and Christmas gifts were acquired, some of them handcrafted. :wow:

Have seen many fine costumes.

I have a nice stack of new sf and fantasy to read.

Oh! Hey! SFWA just changed the rules for the Nebulas! Effective this Thursday associate members as well as full members can nominate and vote, and there is a new category for games. This is a major change, (one which had seen some resistance from the old guard).

There is a wedding party in the main ballroom coincident with the convention. The lobby and main floor are filled with intermingled crowds of sci fi fans in full regalia (and the masquerade is just beginning) and bewildered-looking people in formal dress.

• Like 15

55 minutes ago, Pingo said:

The lobby and main floor are filled with intermingled crowds of sci fi fans in full regalia (and the masquerade is just beginning) and bewildered-looking people in formal dress.

Those are the best kinds of crowds... one half badass and nerdy, the other confused :lol:

• Haha 11

14 minutes ago, redambrosia said:
1 hour ago, Pingo said:

The lobby and main floor are filled with intermingled crowds of sci fi fans in full regalia (and the masquerade is just beginning) and bewildered-looking people in formal dress.

Those are the best kinds of crowds... one half badass and nerdy, the other confused :lol:

HA!! Yes they are! And sometimes you can snag one or two into the nerdy side of things. 

It turns out that trying to sculpt tile floors for minis isn't easy.

45891320_280541322459825_226080211667727

It isn't terrible... needs more work with the painting, but...

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, redambrosia said:
1 hour ago, Pingo said:

When the national Rocky Horror Picture Show convention was held in Las Vegas in 2005, there was a gun show in the same hotel, right across the hall. A bunch of us wandered over to check it out. I think we scared them a little, lol. ::D:

(You'd be surprised how many ex-military and/or law enforcement people we have in the Rocky casts...)

When we held the national Rocky convention in Providence, RI the first time, it was scheduled on the same weekend and at the same hotel as the NecronomiCon, the annual fan-run H.P. Lovecraft convention...  ::D: 

We ended up with some of the Lovecraft fans thinking our Thursday night rave was part of their thing, so we had people dressed as blood-covered surgeons and 1920's-era reporters dancing to techno music all night.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 13

I actually managed to hobby!  Bailey Silverbell, Satheras, and Garrick have all acquired a layer of brown liner and some other colors!

I'm cracking open the Marine Teal for Satheras' cassock (or whatever it is).  Everything is flexible after that.

Bailey is a stand-in for a character in my head...a duergar tunnel-warden.  Probably a ranger of sorts.  So she's going to be pretty "normal" in Uniform Brown and a Redstone cloak.

Garrick is the problem child.  I can't see what he's going to look like yet.  Other than shiny, that is.  He'll probably be shiny.

But I'm hobbying again!

• Like 15

Spent the day with my son setting up the terrain and building war bands for a game with his friends on Tuesday.  Hopefully introducing a half dozen kids to Song of Blades & Heroes becomes the start of a regular thing. 

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

Not weird at all!!

We're gonna even go see the Green Sand Beach!! I didn't even know there WAS such a thing!!

I strongly recommend taking a tour of a chocolate farm if at all possible...  (We went to one when we were on the Big Island, but you have to check well ahead of time.)  I was at the NW Chocolate Festival with my gamer mom friends today and there were a couple of Hawaiian chocolate vendors.  There are also lots of coffee farms, but you're probably not at all interested in that....  :;):

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

Has anyone really LOOKED at the plastic insert in chocolate orange packages? I feel like the curved parts would be useful for a project, but I can't work out how to make them .. work.

It IS kind of flimsy....

Sounds like an alien or elven building to me.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Although it reminds me years back (30?) I was at a con and it was known that there would be a "Cyberpreppy" gathering as a play on the growing cyberpunk movement.  One author who was at his first convention wearing a coat and tie (because it was business, you know) was looking a little shell-shocked until he wandered in to the room full of other people in some reasonable semblance of business attire. It took a while for it to sink in that he was still among the costumed masses...

Since the system will merge these anyway, I'm creaking a bit this morning after working the packing for the big move tomorrow.  I've never moved with a hired team before, so this is all a strange new experience for me.  I discovered as we wound down last night that I should have put a few more key items in the car, as the handful of necessary kitchen items I had set aside all got boxed up somewhere in this sea of boxes.  So, if I want to make anything that involves more than searing a chunk of meat (not that there's anything wrong with that) I'm probably stopping somewhere today for a cheap chef's knife, cutting board, and mixing bowl (and a coffee cone, if I can find one). I can cook while camping (even if I'm a little out of practice), so this shouldn't be too hard.  

We're only moving 20 minutes away, and the old house isn't going on the market immediately, so I can move my hobby stuff myself, even if it takes a week.  I'm going to be desperate for a break by Tuesday or Wednesday, so it's probably a good thing that I know where my hobbying gear is.:blink:

Edited by Rob Dean
additional thoughts
  • Like 11
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

I strongly recommend taking a tour of a chocolate farm if at all possible...  (We went to one when we were on the Big Island, but you have to check well ahead of time.)  I was at the NW Chocolate Festival with my gamer mom friends today and there were a couple of Hawaiian chocolate vendors.  There are also lots of coffee farms, but you're probably not at all interested in that....  :;):

Ooh, good thought! *adds to list*

And speaking of *drinks coffee*

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Pingo said:

This science fiction convention has been pretty relaxing.

Our favorite musician has developed carpal tunnel so he couldn’t play his guitar. He gave an entire concert a capella with the audience clapping rhythm and singing along.

The kids have been taken to the place with red velvet waffles and Oreo pancakes, so they’re happy.

Some thematic sci fi birthday and Christmas gifts were acquired, some of them handcrafted. :wow:

Have seen many fine costumes.

I have a nice stack of new sf and fantasy to read.

Oh! Hey! SFWA just changed the rules for the Nebulas! Effective this Thursday associate members as well as full members can nominate and vote, and there is a new category for games. This is a major change, (one which had seen some resistance from the old guard).

There is a wedding party in the main ballroom coincident with the convention. The lobby and main floor are filled with intermingled crowds of sci fi fans in full regalia (and the masquerade is just beginning) and bewildered-looking people in formal dress.

Yesterday, I was surprised to learn that we know one of the Puppies - and he was complaining because people pushed back. That they should have been allowed to subvert the Hugo Awards.

If he had been drowning at that moment, I would have thrown him an anchor. <_<

The Auld Grump

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

15 hours ago, Crowley said:

Looks like I'm gonna be in Hawaii for Christmas, and in the air flying home on New Years. 

That sounds like it should be fun.

• Like 6

Do any of you fine folk know how long a Griffin has wait before the Forum will refrain from combining posts?

Asking for reasons...

I am pretty sure this will combine ^ with that above. 

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

image.png.c112abb9c07c85b0c4a5cc643ebd9a3d.png

If we don’t get Brutus at least it’s a Basset. 

• Haha 5