Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

Sir Cyr declared that Ikea is hell. Granted, he seemed to enjoy the many hours of building our dresser, but he hated the store with a fiery passion. 

11 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Crap... Alice has blood in her urine. Just what we need, another vet bill....

Nooooo!! I hope the pup gets better soon. Stinks on vet bills ::(:

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Sir Cyr declared that Ikea is hell. Granted, he seemed to enjoy the many hours of building our dresser, but he hated the store with a fiery passion. 

Nooooo!! I hope the pup gets better soon. Stinks on vet bills ::(:

Did you ever read the Ikea horror book? Horrorstör. It was quite a good read. 

As for the vet bill, it's probably just a UTI... but still obnoxious.  

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Neither my wife nor I had ever been to an Ikea when they built the one in the Denver area.  She spent months getting excited about our first visit there shortly after they opened.  Me, I was like "eh, whatever."

By the time that first visit was over, she felt as Sir Cyr does.  Me, I like it, even more so now that I've discovered Ikea hacking. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

You made it out of Ikea? The last time someone I knew ventured in there, we had to send a rescue party, the employees kept cutting the string trails and sweeping up the lines of bread crumbs...

Congratulations on passing your Willpower check though. 

I did. The "showroom" was a horror show, though. All I wanted to do was sit in an office chair to see how it felt that's all I wanted to do. But there was no shortcut to the office stuff. I had to walk through every other section, following that stupid trail. Like, what the heck, man? Why does it have to be a winding, meandering walk rather than a series of straight intersections?

6 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Once I got past the showroom I was fine. I do surprisingly well with numbered aisles full of nondescript boxes.

Got my desk and my desk chair assembled. Only took me like 2 and a half hours. I will definitely need to more securely affix the desktop to the Alex drawers. The rubber thingies are not very good at all. They're too stiff of a rubber and they're domed rather than flat, so they slide on both surfaces...

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Unruly said:

I did. The "showroom" was a horror show, though. All I wanted to do was sit in an office chair to see how it felt that's all I wanted to do. But there was no shortcut to the office stuff. I had to walk through every other section, following that stupid trail. Like, what the heck, man? Why does it have to be a winding, meandering walk rather than a series of straight intersections?

At the stores I've been to, there are shortcuts between sections - but they're not clearly marked, and you basically have to know they're there, or use one of their maps to figure it out.  otherwise, you're in the "cattle drive" of the showroom, as my wife called it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

At the stores I've been to, there are shortcuts between sections - but they're not clearly marked, and you basically have to know they're there, or use one of their maps to figure it out.  otherwise, you're in the "cattle drive" of the showroom, as my wife called it. 

There was a sign for a "shortcut" to the office section about halfway through. The sign pointed in the exact same direction as the path was already going. I saw no other way through. I was not happy.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

The last time I went to Ikea, I spent longer in line waiting to check out than I did in the rest of the store.  We were still in and out in less than an hour.  I was only there for one thing though (more SMÅRASSEL photo boxes for storing mini packs/blisters).

My wife won't let me go to Ikea unless I actually need something and I have a planned shopping list.

But does the fine print require you to adhere to the planned shopping list or does it allow for "improvements" based on physical inspection?

Is there a clause to prohibit "impulse" buying?

Does it recognize that "plans" rarely survive first contact with the objective?

GEM

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Unruly said:

There was a sign for a "shortcut" to the office section about halfway through. The sign pointed in the exact same direction as the path was already going. I saw no other way through. I was not happy.

If the Pittsburgh store is like the Denver or Minneapolis stores, the sign was pointing to a door that was basically hidden.   Even with a map, it took me three visits to the Denver store to figure that out.  

If it is like the Chicago store,  then it was vaguely pointing off in the same general direction, teasing you.   I thought I had gotten decent at navigating Ikea stores after the Denver and Minneapolis stores, but the Chicago store threw me for a loop. 

I think Ikea really prefers to herd its customers as if we are cattle. 

• Like 4

Had an...interesting? thing happen to me last night. I'm not sure interesting is the word I want but I'm gonna roll with it. So I get a message on my personal FB from some guy I don't know. I decided to check it. It's a guy that I follow/he follows me on IG. He wants to do a painted mini exchange. On one hand I'm super touched that a stranger wants something that I've done to the point of reaching out to me. I'm confused as to why he messaged me on FB instead of IG or my FB page. 

After some thought I agreed to it. Then I realized he lives in Portland, OR. This is not terribly far of a drive from where I am so the thought of giving him my address was unsettling. I've given people from the internet my address before but they've (for the most part) been multiple states away. Thankfully, my Mom just opened a mailbox at the UPS store that gives a physical address without having to give out your real address. So she's agreed to let me use it for that and possibly other things if I want to pay for half of it after this cycle ends. So I very well may do that for things so that packages don't go missing. 

I have not given the guy an address yet, we're going to exchange them later when it's closer to time to mail them to each other. 

It was strange to say the least but it sounds like he's messaging at least a couple other people to do the same thing with but still weird that he'd message me through my personal FB account.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

I think Ikea really prefers to herd its customers as if we are cattle. 

Well, "exit through the gift shop" is a valid strategy. Making you go on a tour of all the items that will soon be available in the gift shop seems like it would be an even better sales strategy.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

But does the fine print require you to adhere to the planned shopping list or does it allow for "improvements" based on physical inspection?

Is there a clause to prohibit "impulse" buying?

Does it recognize that "plans" rarely survive first contact with the objective?

GEM

In order.... Kinda, no, yes.

The shopping list doesn't have to be itemized (although it helps).  It can be a simple mission statement of "We could use x new piece of furniture.  These look like good options."  The plan for my hobby storage units was "I need a better way to wrangle my hobby stuff.  These two products look good.  Let's go take measurements and make sure they'll actually work out."

Unless it's a dedicated trip, I had better make sure the amount of time I spend is within what we have allotted.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

It was strange to say the least but it sounds like he's messaging at least a couple other people to do the same thing with but still weird that he'd message me through my personal FB account.

The way FB and IG work, it may have just been the first contact option that FB/IG gave him for you. 

I hate how FB likes to make decisions and assumptions for me in what I want to do with it. 

But good that you're being cautious, even if it's just FB. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

I was gonna say, Facebook owns Instagram, so I wouldn't be surprised if it defaults to Facebook messages or something.

• Like 5

I've gotten messages on Instagram before without it bouncing to my Facebook but could be something new they're doing. Doesn't make sense but what does with Facebook anymore.

Definitely being cautious, I'm not usually worried about things like this but this one weirded me out enough to take extra caution with it.

• Like 7