Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

22 hours ago, Tripleh5133 said:

This is the wrong time of the year to be sick. :zombie: I've been up & down since last Thursday (currently down).

At least by being home, I can harass fellow forumites and maybe contemplate doing some painting (providing I can stop coughing long enough to use a brush).

I hope you're feeling better soon.

Food is cooking, so the house smells really good. It's pretty damn cold outside, so having no reason to need to leave the house is a good thing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Ha! The frozen wastes of Colorado will be a waste of frozen wastes at the horrific frozen temps of 15! Brr! Frozen wastes! Frozen!

Oh. Wait. That's Celsius. Forgot I converted it for our centigrade neighbors.

Might forgo the jacket today.

The barbarian yeti are going to be really put off without any frozen wastes to lurk in. Glad I made extra pies.

26 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Oh yea? Well, the frozen wastes of WV will be freezing at 28! Oh wait, that's F. -3 for our centigrade neighbors.

Might be wearing my thermals today...

It's like... 33F here. 

And yes, I'm wearing shorts, I'm a delivery driver! ::P:

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Kids helped with making three pies yesterday, one more and some veggie dishes to make today.  Going to have an epic friendsgiving today with all my kids today.  :wub: 

Hope everyone has a day filled with good food and good company, whether you're celebrating Thanksgiving or not.  ^_^ 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

It's like... 33F here. 

And yes, I'm wearing shorts, I'm a delivery driver! ::P:

[Groan]

We've been in the -20C° range for the past week (way, waaay below seasonal normal). At least it's a dry cold.

Curiously, after a week, I got used to it and I can comfortably walk outside bareheaded, an open coat, and just a pair of gloves (unless the wind picks up).

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone celebrating!  Hope everyone has a great day!

By strange coincidence, today was pay day, and every employee got a coupon for a free turkey at the local grocery store.

Apparently this isn't the first time the company has done this.

I finally have an excuse to plug in my chest freezer!

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 8

Apparently I'm not the only one having steak sandwiches for Thanksgiving.

My brother was left behind in Los Angeles while my parents drove up to San Jose because my sister can and will claim "new baby" until the kid begins to protest in words. Because if he "won't" (read: can't, because most people our age don't get that choice) take the time off work then he doesn't get to go.

So he's staying home with the dog. Which is an excuse for steak sandwiches, cheese-filled bread wads, baked potatoes with all of the toppings, and everything else that might make a cardiologist cringe.

• Like 9

Sweet.  Local deli has a nice American Thanksgiving inspired sandwich. 

It was delicious.   DeRose Brothers on Instagram if curious for pictures.  Slow roasted turkey, stuffing, cranberries, and a turkey gravy.  Was soooooo good. 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Sweet.  Local deli has a nice American Thanksgiving inspired sandwich. 

...  Slow roasted turkey, stuffing, cranberries, and a turkey gravy.  Was soooooo good. 

That's what we're having tomorrow. 

• Like 4

I hope no turkeys fall from the sky upon you all. 

Hanging out at the inlaws for the day. Food smells so good, but it's hours yet till dinner. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, Crowley said:

I get my weekly Wednesday night game in... well... weekly. The online Stonehell Saturday game tends to run closer to every other week on average. 

Heh... we're playing a weekend game next weekend. I'm bringing a bottle. 

Woke up early to make pumpkin bread to bring to my in-law's. There was a message on my phone from my bride telling me not to bother, that 2 families can't come, and that there's too much food already

Of course there's too much food. This is Thanksgiving! So up early for no good reason. Took the girls for a walk. Thought, since I'm up early maybe we can go to the park... Then actually got outside. Gygax's Holy Dice Bag it's cold out! I feel really bad for anyone going to the parade today.

In other news, my old Kindle... generation 2, has apparently decided that it doesn't want to take a charge anymore. 

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Oh, and I get here and my aunt in law asks where I put the bread... <_< 

Trading in my old Kindle (2nd gen) for a $5 gift card and 25% off my next Kindle, which I then ordered (7th gen Paperwhite). Also ordered a new tube of green stuff.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I hope no turkeys fall from the sky upon you all. 

Hanging out at the inlaws for the day. Food smells so good, but it's hours yet till dinner. 

I don't think WKRP [in Cincinnati] ever repeated the Thanksgiving Turkey Drop.

I had reasons to search for WKRP Tshirts recently and there are a boatload of vendors making Turkey Drop Tshirts on Amazon.

Hopefully we won't have a repeat of our families most memorable Thanksgiving Cooking Experience.

Other Grandma was hosting that year and everything was going along well, turkey in oven, sides prepared and waiting for the time to slide them in the oven.  Oven stopped cooking [it's electric] which wasn't noticed until somebody opened the door to checkprogress of the turkey.  The oven was at room temperature!

After checking all the controls and the circuit breaker I decided to try reseating the heating element.  When I grasped the element I discovered the problem.  The element had fractured completely through.  I'm the default engineer for the family as the other Grandpa has very limited mechnical skills so I was the default troubleshooter for the oven problem. Jerry didn't pass any mechanical skills along and his son has learned a lot of the basics from me, augmented by practical experience over the years with basic household repairs.

Fortunately alternative cooking arrangements were available through a large electric roasting pan and the gas fired barbecue, plus the stovetop.

Dinner was delayed a couple of hours but was cooked and consumed with no ill effects and a reasonably good time had by all.

GEM

1 hour ago, NebulousMissy said:

Apparently I'm not the only one having steak sandwiches for Thanksgiving.

My brother was left behind in Los Angeles while my parents drove up to San Jose because my sister can and will claim "new baby" until the kid begins to protest in words. Because if he "won't" (read: can't, because most people our age don't get that choice) take the time off work then he doesn't get to go.

So he's staying home with the dog. Which is an excuse for steak sandwiches, cheese-filled bread wads, baked potatoes with all of the toppings, and everything else that might make a cardiologist cringe.

We are having a baked tri-tip in addition to the turkey.

I see tri-tip sandwiches in the near future. :winkthumbs:

GEM

• Like 9

I am told - I'm not a fan of turkey, so I've never done this with a turkey - that if you spatchcock the bird it cooks faster.

Spatchcock = hack the backbone out and lay it flat in the pan. You may break some other bones doing this, possibly including the wishbone. It works on chickens.. ^^;

• Like 6