Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

11 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

So, they apparently make these alarms for the deaf that literally shake the bed? I think they even make a variant that only shakes a specific half of the bed? So you get vibrated out, but your partner/personal oven does not? At least, in theory.

I am impressed, entertained and charmed, all at once.

The Screaming Meanie is a plastic box [choice of colors] about the size of 4 Hershey Bars stacked up.

It has two loudness settings, one in the 90db range and the other in the 140db range.  For reference, normal conversation is in the 65db to 68db range, with each 3db representing a doubling of the effective loudness of a sound.

I used to carry one of these when I was a Long Distance Motorcycle Rider.  When used a s a back up for a Hotel Wake Up Call that never gets made it has been known to cause whole sections of the hotel where the thing goes off to be roused out of bed.  I personally never had a problem with this as I would explain and then demonstrate to the front desk clerk what would happen if my wakeup call wasn't properly set and made.

I'm not sure about any alarms made for the deaf, but with a 140db alarm I'm sure it would cause some sort of vibration to the bed of a deaf person.  I don't think it would be very popular with anyone in the same house or apartment, or possibly even the people who live across the street.

GEM

Seasonable Greetings

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I got to watch the video of me being sprayed that my coworker took as he laughed at me. When I fell, it was a combination of crossing my feet as I switched from one target to the second and being hit by the target I was turning to. So, my clumsiness. It's also a problem I have in SCA fights when it comes to fighting mutiple people. So my footwork just sucks. Nothing new there.

But the cop I pinned against a truck was put on light duty today. We don't know why, but I'm saying that my putting him up against the truck is what did it. He probably wrenched his back or twisted a leg or something, though, because he was the punching bag for 3 or 4 of us. I know I was sore last night and am still sore today.

• Like 13

Just finished the great photo spamming of December 2018 in the show of and terrain areas. I've done a lot of stuff this month and it took awhile to crop and post it all. Probably won't get too much more done this year because we'll be travelling a bunch over the holidays and I'd like to play some games while the boys are home.

On a more serious note managed to handle a couple important business things that have been nagging me for months. 3 businesses owe me roughly half my years and income are dragging their butts paying while I'm almost out of credit at the bank. The one that owes me the most promised to pay before the end of the year. Hope it happens. In my dealings with neighbours and locals I've almost never had any problems. When dealing with larger companies it can be a headache. Need to harrass the last two some more. Now if I can only sell a tractor I don't need anymore before the next loan payment comes due in January I'll be happy.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

The Screaming Meanie is a plastic box [choice of colors] about the size of 4 Hershey Bars stacked up.

It has two loudness settings, one in the 90db range and the other in the 140db range.  For reference, normal conversation is in the 65db to 68db range, with each 3db representing a doubling of the effective loudness of a sound.

I used to carry one of these when I was a Long Distance Motorcycle Rider.  When used a s a back up for a Hotel Wake Up Call that never gets made it has been known to cause whole sections of the hotel where the thing goes off to be roused out of bed.  I personally never had a problem with this as I would explain and then demonstrate to the front desk clerk what would happen if my wakeup call wasn't properly set and made.

I'm not sure about any alarms made for the deaf, but with a 140db alarm I'm sure it would cause some sort of vibration to the bed of a deaf person.  I don't think it would be very popular with anyone in the same house or apartment, or possibly even the people who live across the street.

GEM

Seasonable Greetings

Wow. Gotta say that if that went off in my hotel, on my shift, I'd probably ban the owner from the hotel.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So, I just saw that Bethesda is rereleasing the Doom minis for a limited time.

Reaper is making them for them, according to the store page.

They're only available in a box set.

They're limited to 1 per person.

And it's $200.

Ouch.

It also says that they're "hand polished." I don't know exactly what that entails, but it makes me think of those people who buy pewter dragons from a mini company and "polish" them to remove all sorts of detail before they glue a couple glass beads, some cubic zirconia, and some <insert other cheap "gems"> to make them look "fancy" as they quadruple the price. Which doesn't make me think good things.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 10

12 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Bacon All Gone :mellow:::(:  :down:

GEM

Seasonable Greetings

Maybe we could convince the Reaper peeps to get this set up at Reapercon? I think it would be great to be able to grab a quick snack between classes, or even for the gamer during sessions.

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Tripleh5133 said:

Maybe we could convince the Reaper peeps to get this set up at Reapercon? I think it would be great to be able to grab a quick snack between classes, or even for the gamer during sessions.

Bacon was in abundant supply, as in serving pans FULL, at the breakfast bar in the hotel.

If you didn't get your fill of bacon for breakfast it was entirely your own fault.

GEM

Seasonable Greetings

• Like 7

Going full Christmas tonight. "Ugly" sweater, earrings, socks. Hubby says I need to braid a green ribbon in my hair, since it's red already. 

Behold my holiday spirit!!!

• Like 8
  • Haha 11

45 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Bacon All Gone :mellow:::(:  :down:

GEM

Seasonable Greetings

On a related note, this happens to be just down the road from my new home:

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/milkiosk-milk-vending-machine-devon-1946131

It's wonderful; buy a proper glass milk bottle (or bring your own) and fill up with delightful drink while admiring the animals who provided it in the field outside.

It's astonishing how much better it tastes compared to shop milk. In fact shop milk doesn't taste of ANYTHING.

Next time home the wife and I will start making cheese again, uneconomic, but great fun.

Only one drawback: If you let the milk stand for more than a couple of hours you have to practically chisel the cream off the top...::D:

Edited by paintybeard
  • Like 6

13 minutes ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

*ambles through the thread gulping down coffee*

I’m sorry sir, but I’m going to need to see some ID.

:rock:

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, Darsc Zacal said:

I’m sorry sir, but I’m going to need to see some ID.

:rock:

>purple/on< And Your operators license for that industrial  size coffee maker. >purple/off<

GEM

Seasonable Greetings

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

*ambles through the thread gulping down coffee*

51735C41-D509-42DF-B0F1-877DA50A08B2.thumb.jpeg.d172ff9267f932294bd09e3c930c6f54.jpeg

Hey @ub3r_n3rd, did you see that the ultra-rare Doom minis are being rereleased? Reaper is making them again for Bethesda as a special limited edition box set. You gotta order it through Bethesda.

You should go check it out. Look at the rare and cool minis that are for sale again!

LOOK AT THEM!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7