Froggy the Great

Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

3 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Or is a Goth. ::P: *EDIT* Or, in Megan's case, a Goth that is going to art school... but sans the clove cigarettes.

One of the first conversations I had with Megan - when she first started at Border's - was about Goth Christmas music.... ::D: (You know, two of the verses for We Three Kings are really Gothy...)

The Auld Grump

The “Myrrh is mine, a bitter perfume” one and the one about sacrifice on a guess?

I love hearing that one belted out be three dudes, each one with a deeper voice than the last.

The various incarnations of “La Marche Des Trois Rois” remains my favorite song on the subject. 

I have been accused of being gothy despite being about as square as any non-Beatnik can be. My child discussed me as such on Twitter and when I protested siad Yeah, the black lace over red satin skirt and black lace-up top and skeleton in the front hall were totally average mom stuff. 

Then a super gothy goth kindly said I could be an official part of the community and I thought, well, okay, that’s nice.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 9

Someone outside my office is very loudly interrogating someone on the phone about the relative difficulty of taking care of babies vs. dogs.

Clearly final exams have finally driven the students mad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 11
  • Confused 1

On the clothing front...  You mean there are colours OTHER THAN BLACK you can wear??? 

...Guess what colour my work uniform is :P

...Also,i just prefer black because it's sooo much easier to decide - grab a shirt, grab pants or shorts, problem solved. ^_^

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I have the unofficial Japanese student club coming over this afternoon.  Really it's 3 or 4 of my daughter's best friends at this point.  School is out so it's likely to be watching anime and playing board games.  

I also have a sinus headache.  Anticipating pain killers will be in order...

• Like 4
  • Sad 6

Today the world looks crisp and fresh, which makes me happy.

Some days the world is out of focus, and SD, but the view out over the foothills is HD for sure, bordering on 4K.

I should be outside more often. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

...Also,i just prefer black because it's sooo much easier to decide - grab a shirt, grab pants or shorts, problem solved. ^_^

My wardrobe went mostly black and blues during my navy days so I would only have two loads of laundry to do - whites and all others. 

Just got off the phone with a guy who bought a car wash.  The Autocashier for the automatic car wash isn't working, and it may never work again, because it's an obsolete model with very few parts available.   Looked back through the site history, and the last time anyone talked to the site it was me - shortly after the previous owner purchased the site from the original owner nearly 3 years ago.  The previous owner got upset with us because we told him the original owner hadn't done any updates since 2002, and to get his stuff working, he'd have to do a few thousand dollars worth of upgrades.   

Looks like he didn't do anything, and passed his problem onto the next guy. 

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 7

15 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

I’m sorry sir, but I’m going to need to see some ID.

:rock:

*flashes his... skull mug*

Don't make me try to get your striped fur for my loincloth again... :devil:

13 hours ago, Unruly said:

Hey @ub3r_n3rd, did you see that the ultra-rare Doom minis are being rereleased? Reaper is making them again for Bethesda as a special limited edition box set. You gotta order it through Bethesda.

You should go check it out. Look at the rare and cool minis that are for sale again!

LOOK AT THEM!

Nope, didn’t see that. I did order a couple of busts from Banshee (the amazing painter/sculptor) a few weeks ago. They arrived from Spain over this past weekend. The anonymous busts 1.0 and 2.0. He’s actually running a contest to paint 2.0 and do conversions on it. I may pick up my dusty brushes for this purpose. 

• Like 13

On 12/5/2018 at 11:29 AM, TheAuldGrump said:

Looks like the manager agrees with you - she sent him home until he gets a doctor to look at the eye.

In writing, both the sending home and the doctor's okay.

He was swearing about it as he stormed out.

The Auld Grump

Mystery solved - he was high as a kite when the accident occurred, and he did not want to take the mandatory drug test that would have accompanied the exam....

He did eventually go to the doctor - after waiting 'long enough for the drug test to come back clean'.

The stupid is strong, in this one. Mind you, he would likely have ended up both on workman's comp and fired.... (If you are going to be working with hot oil, why in the seven HELLS would you work stoned/high?)

Fortunately, the injury wasn't disabling. His eyesight is back to normal.

But, still....

5 hours ago, Unruly said:

Every reactor is a breeder reactor. Some are just expressly built for breeding specific isotopes, like Pu-239, rather than it being a limited byproduct. However, to say that most reactors that are currently operating today are purpose-built breeder reactors isn't exactly true. It's just that they are all based on the same basic principles that were developed in the 40's and 50's for the nuclear weapons programs of the world. So they all use Uranium-235 as their primary fuel, mixed in with Uranium-238 which then becomes Plutonium-239 through neutron capture from the decaying U-235.

You can thank the Cold War for the fact that the early days of nuclear power were nothing but those purpose-built plutonium-producing reactors. The government didn't like funding research into reactors that's weren't useful for making weapons, which is why Thorium reactors, which are designed breeders but don't produce Pu-239, the most used fuel in nuclear weapons, never made it past the drawing board back in the 60's. And despite the fact that Thorium reactors can run on the "spent" fuel from other nuclear reactors there are issues with reprocessing because of how the only widespread reprocessing method is designed solely to extract - you guessed it - plutonium! So any attempts to recycle "spent" fuel(in truth about 90% is still usable, but the 10% that isn't prevents it from working because physics) are seen as attempts to create nuclear weapons.

As for things going boom, the most recent designs(Gen IV/IV+), which sadly aren't in production for some very buzzy reasons, would require someone to actively work to cause them to go boom. I'm not talking Homer Simpson fell asleep at his station and accidentally shut down cooling. I'm talking an orchestrated effort to bypass the very design of the system that would probably be easier to do with conventional explosives. But rather than build newer, safer reactors we continue to operate 50+ year old reactors using the outdated and dangerous designs of yesteryear. Because that's how humans think. Something goes wrong with one design, so that means you should stop any new designs from being built and keep all of the remaining units of the old design running longer and past their expected operational lifetime.

Because that's how fixing things works, right? When something breaks you don't switch to the new version that fixed what broke on the old one, you just double down on the old version...

Yeah... I could have been more specific, but didn't want to get too deep into pebble beds and thorium....

And we seem to put zero thought into where reactors are built.

For the love of mud, they were surprised that there were earthquakes in Japan?!

Cushla Macree!

But I am also in favor of more - smaller - reactors over having the giant, dangerous design we keep coming back to.

Hell, there is one design that is small enough to be carried by a flatbed tractor/trailer.

Smaller reactor in more locations means less lost in transmission. (We lose an ungodly amount from our power grid - losses to heat and RF in particular.)

Ah, well, so it goes.

We had the party at work - I gave Tyler her present, and, being me, recruited her for the Vanguard campaign.

The Auld Grump

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

Oh Broccoli! 

I have to delete around 400 unused accounts from a guy's system.  The good news is that where I would have previously had to delete them one at a time, a lengthy manual process, the engineer finally gave us an automated process to do so.  The bad news is that he apparently put in a "Continue Yes/No?" confirmation prompt every 40 accounts. 

I thought I was going to be able to start the process and walk away, but apparently I have to babysit it. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 8

4 hours ago, Pingo said:

The “Myrrh is mine, a bitter perfume” one and the one about sacrifice on a guess?

I love hearing that one belted out be three dudes, each one with a deeper voice than the last.

The various incarnations of “La Marche Des Trois Rois” remains my favorite song on the subject. 

I have been accused of being gothy despite being about as square as any non-Beatnik can be. My child discussed me as such on Twitter and when I protested siad Yeah, the black lace over red satin skirt and black lace-up top and skeleton in the front hall were totally average mom stuff. 

Then a super gothy goth kindly said I could be an official part of the community and I thought, well, okay, that’s nice.

To be fair - some of the gothiest Goths that I have met have been extremely silly people - in a good way.

There is one Christmas song that I learned when I was not much older than Brigid - and that we won't be teaching her.

It gave me nightmares that I still remember.... <_<

Mistletoe Bough....

The Auld Grump - I learned a lot of grisly (and one greezly) songs as a tyke - but that was the only one that gave me nightmares.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Hmmm....wonder what it says that I'm wearing all black today?

13 hours ago, Pingo said:

That you are a person of taste and refinement and have possibly gone to art school.

Thank you. ::):

No art school, though.

10 hours ago, Crowley said:

Okay, everyone is now up... now to get them moving... 

Safe travels!

10 hours ago, redambrosia said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiotrophic_fungus?wprov=sfti1

The thing that really boggles me about this (and other things about Chernobyl) is that people keep going in there. Like, it's one of the nastiest environments on our planet, but some people just have nothing else to do than go in and take mold samples, and sample of the elephant's foot. 

I dunno. Just seems weird.

For SCIENCE!!!!

2 hours ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

Nope, didn’t see that. I did order a couple of busts from Banshee (the amazing painter/sculptor) a few weeks ago. They arrived from Spain over this past weekend. The anonymous busts 1.0 and 2.0. He’s actually running a contest to paint 2.0 and do conversions on it. I may pick up my dusty brushes for this purpose. 

Yes! Do eeeeeeet!! Jump back on that horse and do some painting!

Well, maybe don't paint while on a horse, that'd be really hard.

And don't paint the horse, either.

You know what I mean!::D:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, why would you go jogging AT NIGHT, on a road with no lights or sidewalks, while wearing DARK clothing? People can be pretty dumb sometimes.....:unsure:

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

I gained Boyfriend Points from Megan for remembering a conversation we had before we even knew each other's names, then promptly lost them for what I remembered.... :lol:

'And putting a finger upside of his nose,

Blocking one nostril, the other he blows!'

She was talking about a panhandler dressed as Santa that was haunting downtown Portland - and was horrible enough that he was on YouTube (and, yes, doing the above).

She actually did the whole of A Visit From St. Nicholas in that fashion, but that was the line (and image) that stuck in my mind. ::P:

The Auld Grump - 'cause Santa making a snot rocket is something you remember, no matter how hard you try to forget. Children were mentally scarred for life from seeing him. :zombie:

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

To be fair - some of the gothiest Goths that I have met have been extremely silly people - in a good way.

There is one Christmas song that I learned when I was not much older than Brigid - and that we won't be teaching her.

It gave me nightmares that I still remember.... <_<

Mistletoe Bough....

The Auld Grump - I learned a lot of grisly (and one greezly) songs as a tyke - but that was the only one that gave me nightmares.

But it taught you not to hide in old chests, didn't it?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Unruly said:

Honestly, the Chernobyl area isn't really that bad on the whole. Much of the radiation hazard is greatly overblown for the majority of the exclusion zone. You can walk around large parts of Chernobyl and Pripyat unprotected and be fine, even if you stay there for months. The problem is that there are tiny areas where actual fragments of the exploded reactor core are, and those areas will either kill you or leave you very sick in what could be a matter of minutes, and you probably wouldn't know it for a day or two. You'd literally be a "dead man walking."

And that's why Chernobyl was such a horrible accident - the actual core exploded and burned. It became a dirty bomb, and there's really no way to clean up that type of thing right now without just going in and scraping up and removing the top 6 feet of soil for the whole area.

I was more talking about how they keep going into the plant itself, where all the nasty stuff is. Like, that elephants foot thing is hecking deadly. And they decided they needed samples! Scientists be crazy!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:
11 hours ago, redambrosia said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiotrophic_fungus?wprov=sfti1

The thing that really boggles me about this (and other things about Chernobyl) is that people keep going in there. Like, it's one of the nastiest environments on our planet, but some people just have nothing else to do than go in and take mold samples, and sample of the elephant's foot. 

I dunno. Just seems weird.

For SCIENCE!!!!

For Super-Powers!

:ph34r:

• Like 3
  • Haha 6