Randomness XIV: THE FLOOR IS LAVA!

• Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, most professors have a secret desire for some aspect of world domination.

The adviser for my bachelor's thesis had a giant femtosecond pulse laser. He was a tiny elderly Chinese guy with thick glasses who would get the most manic grin imaginable when describing the length of these pulses. It involved holding his hands a foot apart. The light pulses themselves were a foot long.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
9 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

To be fair, most professors have a secret desire for some aspect of world domination.

The adviser for my bachelor's thesis had a giant femtosecond pulse laser. He was a tiny elderly Chinese guy with thick glasses who would get the most manic grin imaginable when describing the length of these pulses. It involved holding his hands a foot apart. The light pulses themselves were a foot long.

Geology professors have a tendency to want to hike or climb the world. Physics professors wet themselves with glee talking about lasers. They definitely want some amount of world domination. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Pegazus said:

Death to the thread!

Faster, faster, kill kill kill!

Think I'll go take a nap.

Slacker! 

You should have taken a nap earlier [like I did].

How are we going to dispatch this thing to the archives without all hands on deck?

GEM

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I dunno, when I worked for the Journal of Physical Chemistry I had no problem with people assuming I had a PhD. I merely worked for the editor, though, so I had no real power. Only the power to read people's articles before they were accepted for publication! Bwahahahahaaa :devil:

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
1 minute ago, NebulousMissy said:

I dunno, when I worked for the Journal of Physical Chemistry I had no problem with people assuming I had a PhD. I merely worked for the editor, though, so I had no real power. Only the power to read people's articles before they were accepted for publication! Bwahahahahaaa :devil:

In other words, a Gatekeeper.

Gatekeepers have a lot more power than most people understand.

Wielded with discretion they can make their bosses life much easier.

GEM

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm finding that I don't want to paint my giant anymore because I've done all the easy stuff, and now I'm down the hard stuff that when I try to paint it tends to mess up the easy stuff. Also, Badger's metallic paints, or at least my Gun Alloy, shot through my airbrush like they were straight water. It caught me off guard, and I put way too much down and accidentally hit parts even beyond where I had used blue tack to mask. It made it hard to lay a thin coat down and make multiple passes, because it kept pooling.

It also didn't help that I had apparently partially unseated my needle, so it was spraying more than I wanted it to spray at all times. But even taking that into account it shouldn't have sprayed that much if it was like their other airbrush paints.

It does look pretty and shiny, though, even if it is on their a bit heavily. One of these days I'm gonna get some Alclad II chrome and see just how shiny I can get something to look...

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 6