Foods of yester-yore

Boaz

5 hours ago, Pingo said:

but they do seem to be "nearly any ingredient smothered in something thick and white, served on an iceberg lettuce leaf."  The leftovers of the 1920s fashions in salads remain with us in the form of tuna salad, egg salad, cheese logs (Yes. Shredded American cheese mixed with cream cheese served on a lettuce leaf was called a "salad"), and yogurt with fruit in, which seems to have been a switcheroo for an earlier version of "fruit salad" made with sour cream or whipped cream.

Yummy, that's my kinds of salads. I mean if I have to eat something green and leafy it's better with heavy sauce and cheese! That's only slightly tongue in cheek because my wife does make a few tasty salads that consist of a minimum of vegetable matter and a lot of mayo. Heart attacks waiting to happen but I like them and we don't eat them every day. She even does something that could be considered a chicken aspic and it's good. I had to google aspic before I knew that I've eaten them under other names.

• Like 3

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/21/2018 at 7:59 PM, Mad Jack said:

Uneeda Biscuits....

q52o.jpg

There are some great Uneeda ghost signs all over the place. I'm a big fan of this one in the quite-trendy Lawrenceville neighborhood of Pittsburgh, not least because it has several layers of signs, including an ad for tobacco and another for toothpaste:

4961517084_327975ce69_b.thumb.jpg.c6b6417636f2cb040e9b80bc631938a9.jpg

It's actually an ad for a grocery, and it looks like they periodically painted over some things to advertise different products, with Uneeda clearly being a perennial favorite, with pretty clear ghosts of two different instances of the word "biscuit."

(The street-level artwork is for the New Amsterdam barstaurant... They added a rooftop deck a couple of years ago and had Dan Kitchener paint a new mural. The Kitchener is spectacular, but the photos tend to focus on the mural and you can't see the ghost sign as well, so today you get the old New Amsterdam skull mural.)

Cooking wise, my mother has a German cookbook from before WWII, and an English translation of a Turkish book from shortly before the end of the Ottoman Empire. It is a reprint, but it's still 60 years old or so. Both books were well used when I was growing up. I love spaetzle and borek!

• Like 5

On 4/22/2018 at 2:12 PM, Inarah said:

Pingo, let me just add one word: aspic

If there's one ingredient or dish I remember from the 70s (nearly always at New Year's Day family gatherings), it's anything with aspic.

In the mind of the child I was back then, it was an automatic "Nope!"

In the mind of the braver adult I am today, who is willing to try anything once. It's "Hell no!" (without the risk of mom slapping me for bad language). And I'm someone who once drank fresh Kumis/Airag (fermented mare's milk alcohol) in Mongolia without hesitating.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

If there's one ingredient or dish I remember from the 70s (nearly always at New Year's Day family gatherings), it's anything with aspic.

In the mind of the braver adult I am today, who is willing to try anything once. It's "Hell no!" (without the risk of mom slapping me for bad language). And I'm someone who once drank fresh Kumis/Airag (fermented mare's milk alcohol) in Mongolia without hesitating.

Duck tongue, chicken feet, pigs ears, intestines, liver, pigeon hearts... Eyeballs... Sure, I'll eat that. 

Aspic? No.... 

Jello molds? Nope...

Jello in general? Not gonna happen.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cranky Dog said:

Kumis isn't so bad - a bit like a thin yogurt with a beery undertaste.

But then I once drank the alcohol that forms on top of sourdough starter. (Part of a school project on the '49ers - it was as nasty as it sounds. When a '49er needed a drink really bad, he found a really bad drink.)

Some of them would sleep with their sourdough starter, to keep it from freezing.

The Auld Grump - I used to know an ex-hobo that sang that song - and did a damned good job with it, with a voice that was whiskey deep and smoking rough.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Kumis isn't so bad - a bit like a thin yogurt with a beery undertaste.

But then I once drank the alcohol that forms on top of sourdough starter. (Part of a school project on the '49ers - it was as nasty as it sounds. When a '49er needed a drink really bad, he found a really bad drink.)

Some of them would sleep with their sourdough starter, to keep it from freezing.

Oh I know kumis isn't that bad. But the rest of the travel group were less enthusiastic of trying it.

And anyone else suddenly reminded of Mudder's Milk from Firefly (Jaynestown)?

• Like 4

Their was a time years ago, I was living with rellatives when I discovered ... if I leave beer in the fridge my grandmother would steal them and make logger style flap Jacks the next morning ... once I put 2 and 2 together it got to be a habit ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Boaz said:

Their was a time years ago, I was living with rellatives when I discovered ... if I leave beer in the fridge my grandmother would steal them and make logger style flap Jacks the next morning ... once I put 2 and 2 together it got to be a habit ...

I... wait... beer pancakes... :blink: 

*off to Google...*

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boaz said:

Dad didn’t drink, but he would occasionally buy a six pack of beers to make beer batter pancakes with.

Best pancakes ever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Boaz said:

1 hour ago, Sophie was taken said:

Dad didn’t drink, but he would occasionally buy a six pack of beers to make beer batter pancakes with.

Best pancakes ever.

Hmm, need to remember this the next time I make pancakes. I don't drink much nowadays but have some beer laying around for when guests come over. 

• Like 1

The old time logging camps did not have a lot of milk ... but they always had beer ... I have used beer in lots of baking resapes , and also to cook rice or pasta , as well as tea or broth ... adds extra flavor.

Sobe pina colada tea to cook white rice ... toss in some diced pineapple and raisins ... yum yum for every one ...

The brown beer cooking brown and long grain rice with beef jerky diced up in the mix ... don't get me started ...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The Auld Grump - I used to know an ex-hobo that sang that song - and did a damned good job with it, with a voice that was whiskey deep and smoking rough.

I had to play that song twice.... The first time I played it, I was only halfway through the first verse when my brain began insisting it was hearing Harry Chapin singing it.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Crowley said:

Duck tongue, chicken feet, pigs ears, intestines, liver, pigeon hearts... Eyeballs... Sure, I'll eat that. 

Aspic? No.... 

Jello molds? Nope...

Jello in general? Not gonna happen.

Hey!  I like jello!  Not mixed with mayonnaise though (shudders)  never with mayo...

Anything a 5 year old beagle won't touch is not edible!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Jello? Ick. Unless it's in shots, then I can take a few.

But gelatin? Like what happens when one boils pigs feet and keeps the broth? That's soup base. Mmm soooooup...

That gelatin also makes soup dumplings which are really yummy!

• Like 1