Fanatical Acolyte (Antimatter Games)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! I always try to accentuate little bits that give character. you don't have to do it everywhere, but if you can find that one little feature that adds visual interest it can really make a piece come alive.

I believe I used old west rose for the foot wounds and mouth; it makes a good raw flesh color.

Edited by vulture

thanks for the feedback. I have a bunch of black/off-black to paint soon, so Ill be sure to dial it back. I was worried this guy would be too flat so I pushed the contrast a bit farther than I should have, I guess.

edit: could it pass as a more reflective fabric? Silk/satin? 

Edited by vulture

I actually disagree with the comment on the highlights. You did well keeping them bright but narrow. If you tone it back from there you will lose the contrast swiftly and it will look flat. Keeping the bright highlights small makes the edges stand out and the folds are noticeable. 

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cranky Dog
      I barely received my last campaign pledge from Midlam that already it has something that caught my interest.

Sisters of the Kraken Cult. The female counterparts of the previous "Onslaught of the Cult of the Kraken Lord" and "Cultists of the Kraken Lord". (I now have some regret of not getting it)

What's also interesting is the optional add-on of fish folk.

Brinewind is going to have some interesting neighbors.
    • By Iridil
      More from May - the cultist pair 77518. I also added in my other recently painted pair (77351) with cirlce and I think they make a nice grouping. 

• By Rigel
      Robes? Check. Horned skull mask? Check. Air of furtive evil? Check! Dulkathar here is a perfect fit for the cult of the Piper in the Woods, last seen HERE. 

The word "skulking" was made for this character, He'd be a great Wizard Whately stand-in for Call of Cthulhu, too. Even more tattered than his co-conspirator and co-religionist.

Together, what mightn't they call up? or Whom?

And with such an ally, what vengeance might they not visit upon the settlements nearby? Are there any punishments those Puritans don't deserve, and that full well? 

Guest appearance by a nearly-finished Tree of Despair, of which more later.
    • By Rigel
      Dawn at St. Toad's Mere.
      The worshipers gather by the dolmen.
      With scroll and orb, bell and blade, chalice, keys, and tome. 

But what manner of worshipers are these, so pale and clammy? And why does that one's hand bend so?
      Is that...is that an arm, or something else?

Lo! a foul miracle! They have become as their unwholesome master, transmuted into a kind of glory through their dark rites. Some still retain hands, or things in the semblance of hands, the better to wield tools built by and for hands, but others have transcended or transgressed beyond even these. Soon they will renounce limbs and spines altogether, shed their robes and live to writhe and squirm beneath the mire with their lord forever. 

These are fantastic fellows--something about their eyeless fleshy heads makes them even more enigmatic and eerie than your average illithid. What are they up to? and what will their rituals bring upon the troubled earth?
      For all your eldritch cult needs. Could work as an alien species in a pinch. 

(The cultist with the dagger does not come with a bell; that's a repurposed earring back and pin.)

• By AntiMatter
      Hi folks!

It has been years since I posted here but it has also been a while since I painted anything. 

This is a step-by-step tutorial for painting the Daggertooth King Lizard made by AntiMatter Games for ShadowSea. The way this model is painted is in steps that require the paint to completely dry before going to the next step. It is a lot of washes and glazes that build up on top of each other and not wet blending.

Step 1 was to prime entirely in white. Then in Step 2 the underside was painted with a mixture of Liquitex Muted Gray and Matte Medium, about 50/50, then thinned with a touch of water. By touch, I mean dipping the tip of the brush into water after putting the color on the brush. The ink mix needs to be thin enough to flow but not so thick it collects in thick pools. 

Step 3 was to paint the top side with thinned Yellow Oxide from Golden Fluid Acrylics, mixed with Buttermilk (Americana Brand). More water was added to glaze this color onto the edges of the Muted Gray underbelly. 

Step 4 was a shading step, where the underside was given a wash of Black Ink + Phthalo Blue ink (20/80), mixed with Matte Medium (50/50 of mixed color to medium). Black can overpower the color, so only a small amount is needed. The top side was given a wash of Burnt Sienna ink + Matte Medium (50/50). The inside of the mouth was given a wash of brick red paint mixed with black paint and a bit of matter medium. The underside was done first and allowed to dry. When painting the top side, the model was flipped upside down so that the ink did not run down onto the underside.

Sep 5 is something a little different. This is a glaze of thinned white paint to reduce the “intensity” of shadows and even things out. More layers were applied to the tops of muscles and areas that are highlight zones and to also make the belly lighter overall. The white paint was basic craft paint from Americana brand. 

Step 6 was a glaze step. Glazes of Burnt Sienna ink, thinned with about 50% water, were painted on the upper body and head and Burnt Umber ink was applied to the top of the back. The claws and spikes were given a wash of Burnt Umber ink + black Ink + Matter Medium (50/50 with color).

Step 7  was to give paint some stripes. This was pretty simple, using black paint + Turquoise ink,  thinned with water so it was translucent (maybe 60/40 water/color).

Step 8 was the basic highlight stage. Thinned Buttermilk color was painted on the top edge of scales to simulate light reflection while thinned white was used to highlight the legs and underside. This was done with a very small brush, unlike all of the previous steps. The spikes on the back were painted with more Burnt Sienna ink mixed with Buttermilk to blend them, then thinned Buttermilk for the edge highlights. Some final highlights were with thinned white on the top of the spikes.

Step 9. Final Highlights and Base. The claws were painted like the spikes in Step 8 while the teeth were glazed with white to build up brightness, then painted in the edges with pure white. Small details, like eyeballs were done here also, using bright yellow and orange for the eyeball and back pupil with a small white dot for the reflection. The base had rocks painted in gray paint and the ground a light tan. This was allowed to dry, then a wash of a mix of Raw Sienna + Turquoise ink + Matte Medium was applied. The ground was washed with Raw Sienna ink + Matte Medium. Highlights were made with the tan paint on a bristly brush (an old drybrush brush with bristles pointing all around). The paint was put on the tips of the bristles and stippled around to add some random patterns. A bit of thinned white was used to add some edges to the rocks. Then the while model was given a coat of Dullcote, which ended up being a bit glossy, but that’s how it goes sometimes.

cheers,
      Eric
      antimatter-games.com

• Who's Online   21 Members, 1 Anonymous, 28 Guests (See full list)