Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Painting weekends are the best. I'm trying to maximize as much as I can before fishing takes over my life and every free moment of the weekends. Although, I can't complain about wanting to get outside after being trapped inside for the last 6 months.
These little fellas got done over a 2 month period. I primed them, then let them sit. Then started a litte, didn't like what I did, then put them back down for another month. Decided to spice it up and go for broke and just lay paint down on whatever came to mind. Glad I did as it pushed me to do something different.
* I ended up doing an Army Primer Plate Mail color - even though I put this in as a win, it did have a few complications. The AP primer seems to make them tacky. The longer it sits the more tacky it gets. However, the win here is that it saved me a lot of time covering all the plate mail.
* Got to test out what inks and paints do over AP primer in metal color. I'm not sure the paint properties were all that great, but I definitely learned a lot in the process.
* The red on the broadsword knight was a test of shading and layering. Not my best work, but it gets the idea across.
* I liked the brighter "knightly" colors used in Orange and red.
* The checkering on the red/black knight was my favorite. A real test of patience in laying the lines down and then filling in. VERY CAREFULLY.
* The Orange checker was less consistent, but good to test across a wider stretch to see if I could. It worked, Iiked the result, but still more to improve upon next time.
* I really enjoyed practicing black lining with these two and trying to keep a steady hand separating the plates due to the primer just coating the whole thing one color.
* Black ink does NOT coat well on AP primer. It takes two good coats and ends up with this slight, for lack of a better way of describing it "crackling" appearance in the ink. It's like it has a hard time bonding and drying evenly. Learned not to do this again.
* I also learned that doing a checker pattern is easier with a dark undercoat and you don't notice mistakes as much. The orange/black combo really stands out where there's a slight line out of place.
* Silver/Gunmetal are still super difficult for me to do and finding a way to make them pop is challenging. Any advice here is appreciated. Just something to make the weapons and armor stand out.
Here they are!
This is a relatively recent paint job and I struggled with colors for a while before taking inspiration from another model and strengthening the contrast in places. I like the model but she feels very stiff and doll-like.
Or maybe she doesn't like the light in her eyes:
Fiddled around with some freehand on the back:
This was a repaint from earlier this year. I bought Quickshade Strong Tone for speed painting some of my board games and tried it in Woody. I liked the way it worked for the most part but as you can tell I got some frosting when I matte coated it. Another thing that happened was my paint cracked on my base but I kinda like the way it looks. I probably won't bother fixing any of the issues as I moved on to another figure I am struggling with.
Such a fun idea for a mini!
But then you have to paint all the dragon scales.
I was going for a more Asian skin tone. I tried to speed through this one since her sword was so bent.
WIP link below.
Who's Online 2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)