Mirya

Fixing "Fishhooking" on brush

Hi all! I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for fixing the fishhook tip that develops on brushes after awhile. Is it even possible? I tried brush shaper with no success (although it's possible/likely there's a technique I don't know about that would make the brush shaper work better) I'd love to replace my brushes less frequently, and salvage some I already have :-)

Hi Mirya,

Synthetic brushes are prone to this. I haven't found a way to fully cure it, but conditioning with Masters Soap may help. Wren (awesome painter lady supreme) suggested boiling the tip (not the ferrule. 

Natural bristle brushes don't tend to fishhook and are worth the extra cost compared to synthetics, usually. Everyone has a few synthetics around for some purposes though. 

Winsor & Newton, Rosemary & Co, DaVinci, and Raphael are some favorite brands for natural kolinsky sable brushes. They range from $10-20 per brush but last years with a little TLC. 

• Like 1

You don't have to boil them directly. I pour boiling water into a glass dish, dip the brush in and roll it against the side and then pull it out.

But I second the recommendation to buy a quality brush. No synthetic currently on the market can get (or keep) that pinpoint fine tip of a good Kolinsky. You don't need it for everything in painting, but there's a lot of things that are easier with it, and some you likely can't do at all without it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SparrowMarie
      After a hiatus I am writing a blog post to help my sanity! This next post is all about brushes and brush care. 

So my question to you fellow painters is: If/when you are/were new to painting what would you like to know or would like to have known about brushes?
    • By Harrek
      So the new Artis Opus KS is live.  It can be found here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/artis-opus/artis-opus-series-m-brush-set

Be curious what people's opinions are on the "smaller" brushes they are doing here.  I've always been taught go for a brush with a larger belly and a good point over something like these.

Also how people like the previous ones to see if they were worth the price.
    • By Madog Barfog
      A long time ago (years, actually), those of us who didn't want to spend large sums on Ott lights used "natural" bulbs made by General Electric. These were bluish, incandescent, 60 watt bulbs that gave a more sunlike color spectrum than regular house bulbs.

Technology has moved on and I'm looking for modern replacements. The incandescents get pretty warm, hot enough to deform the plastic on another lamp I use, and my new painting room gets pretty hot when my fiancé and I have 2 illuminated magnifying lamps going, plus a laptop, three dogs that hangout, an upstairs room, etc. I'd like to buy a pair of LED bulbs (or CF, if that's the only option) with the same light characteristics.

However, searches of my local hardware store, Meijer, plus Amazon and even a general Google search have turned up nothing. I used to buy these at the local Home Depot, and I'm a bit concerned that LEDs can't do what tungsten filaments did in regards to spectrum. I am looking for a "standard" size of bulb and base, just like the old incandescent house lights I bought for decades before CF became a thing and then were replaced by LEDs running on house current.

What is considered the replacement for these old bulbs? What do people use today, and where can I buy some?
    • By SparrowMarie
      I'm going to be starting a blog series call Tools of the Trade. It's mostly going to go in depth into the tools used but will probably include a few tutorials. If you were reading something like this what kind of topics might you want to see? I'm taking all suggestions currently. This will mainly be aimed at novice painters but could be of good use to others as well, I think
  • Who's Online   14 Members, 1 Anonymous, 115 Guests (See full list)