Getting to Know You, May 2018

Morihalda

May 4th: Book collecting

1/25 scale modelling

Vintage bicycle collecting

Pellet and bb gun collecting

Researching local history

Recently got into gardening, or as I like to call it 1:1 scale terrain building

• Like 5

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Morihalda said:

May 4: Star Wars thing! What other geek* hobbies or shows are you into? Mini painting is assumed here. ;)

*I hesitate to use the word "geek" here as meanings and connotations change quickly. Many "nerdy" things 15 years ago have become "mainstream." Language is wild! 

I'd probably consider most of my hobbies as closer to normal, but I've also lived around various types of geeks my whole life, so maybe perspective is skewed a tad ::P:

- Yup, I like Star Trek... Voyager and TNG.  Never really watched the original series, and the few episodes I did watch didn't really catch me.  I keep meaning to sit down and watch it though, just to say I have... 

- I liked Deep Space 9,and the risks they took with it. 

- I like Star Wars, and eerily enough I like the prequels almost as much as episodes IV-VI... 

- Star Trek vs Star Wars: they're both good shows, and I have no preference, and usually won't argue about which is better as we all have our own preferences.  Besides, I'd rather playfully argue that Andromeda is the better one ::P:

- I rather like Andromeda, even if the last season feels rushed (because it is - they ran out of funding, and everything that was supposed to happen in season five had to be crammed into season four) 

- I've been in a love/hate relationship with Magic: The Gathering since Unlimited Edition.  Yup, third edition.  I've quit at least twice.  First was after Forgotten Kingdoms/Ice Age, second was after Urza block and just before 8th came out...  Technically it's been three times now, since we haven't played much since Ixalia or however its spelt, but I didn't "quit" just preferred to put spare cash in other directions. 

- Various miniature wargaming things - 40k, Warhammer Fantasy (and even AoS, although I've yet to play such), Hordes and Warmachine are also interesting... 

- Arguably, liking Scythe a good amount is geeky because it's a rather slow board game.... ^_^

- I'm an audio geek, such can be rather obvious at some times (doubly so given that I'm not just an audiophile, but I dabble in hobby production and recording too) 

- I watched Reboot when it first came out with great anticipation... I even remember the articles the paper had about how "ground breaking" it was being the first full CGI show.  I still love the show, even if it hasn't aged all that well. 

- I "collect" computer parts.  I use quotes because usually I intend on using them for various purposes, even if it's just virtual points and bragging rights on HWBot... 

- Previously mentioned point is also why I used to go through about 80lbs of dry ice every month... 

- I enjoy some of the more in depth stuff regarding BOINC, although I'd never get into coding anything for it. 

- I rather enjoy photography as a hobby, which many would say is geeky, because I love my mirrorless micro four thirds camera...  As well as film, even if I don't really shoot film anymore due to costs. 

- We won't comment on the size and cost of my photography gear as it's over nine thousand... Dollars that is, still to go for purchases... 

- I've loved anime for a few decades, even if I don't exactly enjoy or follow a lot of the more popular ones (couldn't care less about Bleach, even if I did watch the first 200ish episodes, I've yet to watch (and probably never will watch) Attack on Titan, for example).  GetBackers! is still one of my all time favourites (I, My, Me Strawberry Eggs is another one that I really like, same with Dog Days.  I'd put Dragon Half here, but only two episodes were ever done for anime...) 

- Some would call me a car nut, with a massive focus on maneuverability and handling..  its like I used to do solo 2 autocross or something ::P:

- I've always wanted to do some sort of model railroad thing, but always have difficulty deciding on scale, where I'd put it, and how big I'd go. H0 scale is probably the smallest I'd go, even if a bunch of friends argue for a long time that N would work well for what I want.  Problem is I like the size that H0, and especially O gauge have, even if it means needing a bigger table, thereby making it harder for me to do something I want (large switching area with wood and steel industries, for example) 

- I'm kind of a nut about coffee.  We only have three different ways to brew it in the house atm (Keurig, Bonavita brewer, and Clever Coffee dripper) , and that will eventually be five or six.. Probably six or more as I want to get a Chemex, AeroPress, both Nespresso machines, and maybe the Hario V60 II.  Why so many?  Each produces its own unique flavour, and has varying work loads. For example, the Bonavita and Keurig are easy to use, due to pre-portioned packages (Bonavita uses frac packs, or you can measure it out yourself), while a Hario V60 is something you'll spend upwards of five minutes standing over top of depending on how you do things.

... Probably missed half of them, but that's life before coffee. 

• Like 9

May 4: Star Wars thing! What other geek* hobbies or shows are you into? Mini painting is assumed here. ;)

*I hesitate to use the word "geek" here as meanings and connotations change quickly. Many "nerdy" things 15 years ago have become "mainstream." Language is wild! 

In no order at all:

Star Wars

Star Trek

Gotham (I haven't checked out any of the other DC/Marvel superhero shows; I've heard good things about them, but we don't watch TV much, and we're already behind on what we do watch...)

Role playing games

Tabletop games (Frostgrave, HeroQuest, Warhammer, etc.)

Reading--primarily Sci-Fi/Fantasy, action/adventure, and history, but in the Navy I developed the habit of reading anything that wasn't nailed down, and I still do that. So, I'll read just about anything, except romance; too many heaving bosoms and throbbing manhoods.

Marvel and DC superhero movies ( DC really needs to get better here, they've got some cool characters, but they can't seem to make a decent movie about them. Wonder Woman excepted, that was a very enjoyable movie, IMO.)

Building  scale models (trains, planes, tanks, ships, etc)

Learning new things just to satisfy my curiosity

Listening to music (rock and metal, anything from Aerosmith to Amon Amarth)

I reserve the right to come back and edit this list to add something that I'm currently not thinking of, since it is currently too early to be fully functional.

• Like 9

I am probably not a Geek. Miniature painting & scenic effects are my only activities that could be considered geeky. I think of them as my way of being creative. Creativity is my way of praying.

I don't normally watch T.V.. I only mildly enjoyed the first three Star Wars movies & then only for the now dated special effects. I never cared for Star Trek. AND I think Tolkien's characters were all two dimensional.

I did play AD&D for the theatrics. I was an historical gamer, but that was a long time ago. I have a poor opinion of most, but not all of the gamers I have known.

I have no obsessions & no longer have any addictions.

• Like 12

8 hours ago, Morihalda said:

- Star Wars

- Tolkien

- D&D (mostly 5th edition)

- History (my focus/favourite is 19th century empires, and their modern legacies).

- World Cinema (Tarkovsky, Kurosawa, Bergman, etc..).

I don't know how many of these interests are "geeky" or "nerdy", but they're all things I'm fascinated by, and have obsessed over.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I've had two major hobbies in my life.  By major, I mean I have invested heavily with both time and money.  These hobbies are gaming (now just miniature painting), and generically Technology (mostly software development and Information Systems).  Everything thing else has pretty much been a passing distraction.

I ended up making a career our of technology so I don't spend very much time doing this for fun anymore.

• Like 6

Textiles and textile history (this is the umbrella term I use to mean: embroidery, sewing, weaving, crochet, and the history of all those things).

Art history.

Fashion dolls (primarily 12 inch dolls, baby dolls creep me out) (is also compatible with the sewing gig).

Fantasy and science fiction stories (I include super hero stories in here because those are often sci-fi) in book, graphic novel, or cinematic format.

Video games.

Anything Studio Ghibli. I just bought tickets to see Pom Poko and Princess Monoke this summer ^_^ 

• Like 11

Table top wargames

Board games

Scifi and fantasy books, tv shows and movies

Video games, especially strategy games

• Like 8

I guess my biggest interests off the top of my head would be:

Star Wars

Star Trek

Most anything involving vampires that don't turn into disco balls (Buffy & Angel are still at the top of my favorite TV shows)

RPGs.  I've some how ended up GMing two different games at once.  A DnD 5e (Princes of the Apocalypse) game for my Friday group and Modiphius' Star Trek game for the Saturday gang.

• Like 5

I could write a long list of hobbies and interests I used to be into, these days the active ones are quilting, rpg games, food and cooking, gardening, and dollhouses.  I enjoy tv shows and movies, old and new, but I'm not obsessive about any of them and don't consider myself part of any fandom, except maybe Dr Who.  I've always liked to read a variety of topics but haven't been able to finish a book in over a year. 

• Like 7

Noting that May 4th is a day of remembrance (not of Star Wars that is just silly fantasy)

[ For those not from around here May 4th is about Kent State shootings]

Star Trek

Buffy/Angel

SF

Fantasy (Do not combine the two)

Westerns (maybe not geek, but I love it and have for YEARS.  See my avatar.  It is me 65 years ago)

RPG

Board Games

Edited by ttuckerman
information about 5/4
  • Like 8

9 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Oh, just a few:

RPGs

Video Games

Supernatural

Star Trek

The Expanse

Lord of the Rings

Table Top Miniatures Gaming (Warmahordes and Infinity in particular)

Board Games

Card Games

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books

Will almost always check out new sci-fi movies/TV shows, etc. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Morihalda said:

• Anime
  • Board games
  • Role playing games
  • Cartoons

Those are pretty much my staple geek hobbies that have always been part of my life. And you can find examples of them in my home.

Sure, I like Star Wars, Star Trek, and many other geeky things, but you wouldn't know it by visiting my place.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 6

Aside from mini painting:

Dungeons and Dragons (specifically) and RPGs in general. This includes both tabletop and LARPing (though I haven’t done any LARPing in like a decade…)

History & mythology, mostly because of D&D. But I liked it enough to get my B.A. in it.

I read a LOT of fantasy and sci-fi.

Excel Spreadsheets are fun

I keep a hobby blog (Tower of the Archmage, link in my signature) where I chronicle my games, share my painted minis, review movies, and come up with original content for my games (maps, monsters, and magic items mostly).

I’ve gotten pretty geeky about beer, tracking all the ones I drink on Untapped. 526 unique beers so far.

Major Star Trek fan. TNG is my favorite, DS9 had the best writing. Galaxy Quest and The Orville are step siblings that get included in any and all family functions. Discovery is still in that awkward phase, but we’re pretty sure that she’ll grow into herself.

I’ve made my own chainmail armor, and done a bit of cosplay/costuming, and will be getting back into it with my Ghostbusters costume for Halloween.

I get silly excited about discussions of various election systems (I’m a big fan of the instant runoff).

Jimmy Buffett is an inspiration, not only for his music, but for the low key empire he’s managed to build around the idea of a slacker’s life, while working his butt off.

Edited by Crowley
  • Like 8