Getting to Know You, May 2018

Morihalda

1 hour ago, Morihalda said:

May 5 and 6: What motivates you to paint? Do you think you'll be able to paint this weekend?

The joy of crafting something combined with viewing it as yet another medium in which to inflict my vision upon the world. (egotistical answer)

That in applying paint to the mini I bestow upon it a form of life, so that they may wander the world and have adventures while I sleep (the I read too much Indian in the Cupboard as a child answer)

Because I haven't been able to draw since 2011 and this is the outlet I have. (artistic frustration answer)

Although there have been gaps, I've been painting small figures of various scale since I was in 5th grade. It is in a way a connection to younger me and future me at once, a source of stability in the world. It is my answer to my most hated of questions, the inane "what do you do ?" that people like to throw out upon meeting so that they may determine your value by how you earn your bread. ( sleep deprived philosophical answer)

I got some painting in this morning already and will likely get more in this evening after garden supplies have been obtain and a nap taken.

• Like 7

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Morihalda said:

May 5 and 6: What motivates you to paint? Do you think you'll be able to paint this weekend?

If I get my chores done and my migraine flies away, yes.  I had planned on gaming, but no gaming equals painting time. 

Primary inspiration can be anything from looking out the window to a brand new shiny figure.  Sometimes it's looking through an adventure and seeing something and going "I've got one of those" and choosing to paint it. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Somewhere inside me is a painter. I'm good at listening to advice and learning about techniques, but it's the practical application that I'm not great at being motivated enough to do.

This weekend is pretty busy for me. Today is the monthly Boardgamer's Guild at the FLGS, and then tomorrow is my Pathfinder session. But if I get enough time.......

received_10156216667272604.thumb.jpeg.b79008e0121124e14c97effc50770fdd.jpeg

MC Hammer, AKA Lord Commander, AKA Stompy McShinypants

For the purposes of the 40k Escalation League, he's considered to be painted. For the purposes of my pride, he's considered to have only the most basic basecoat and will need a lot of work on him. I was lucky enough to picky up Citadel Leadbelcher Spray earlier than I expected, I still have one weapon to magnetize before I hit it with the spray as well. I'm very pleased with how the spray primer behaved, and it'll be fun getting this bad boy completed.

I was wondering where the hammer had gone to...  as well as most of the weapons.  Makes sense you'd magnetize it though ^_^

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I paint when I'm stressed or when the brain weasels attack. I paint for games. I paint for myself. I have lots of things that motivate me but those seem to be the main reasons as of late.

Not sure I'll get any painting done this weekend. I'm going to the in-laws for FIL's birthday tonight then going out with them tomorrow for lunch. I might bring some stuff with me to work on though. We'll see.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Morihalda said:

#1: I enjoy coloring by applying pigment containing liquid with a brush. 

I usually need another reason to finish things. I finally decided that I should sign up for a spot in an art show Memorial day weekend. That means I need to kick it in high gear and get stuff done. I will paint this weekend or I am in trouble of not having anything to put on my table. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I have a Mighty Need to make things. It's familial, perhaps even genetic. I go nuts if I can't make things. Writing also counts as making things but painting is something physical.

I hope to finish the Great God [redacted]'s belly this weekend. I mean, the Dracodile. Yesss... the Dracodile. If I finish his belly I can put him on this 120mm base here and then get to work on all the scales. I know I'm doing well because one 5am before bed I thought he was alive and rawring at me. 

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Having someone to paint with & looking at the ever growing pile needing to be painted, though that can also be a hindrance.

Hoping to be able to paint tomorrow (if I don't get sidetracked).

• Like 6

I'm often inspired by the figure, either the sculpt or the way someone else has painted it.  I want to bring that figure to life with color.  I'm also motivated by the people I game with, who tell me how cool my figures are, and love using them.  I love painting figures that actually get seen and used on the table, not just shut away in a box for storage. 

Today was all yard and BBQ, so tomorrow is likely to be a sleep late, paint all day, eat leftovers kind of day. 

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Mostly wanting to create anything that looks nice. Painting minis is my only artistic outlet. Partly wanting to play with pretty minis and terrain but most of my gaming all my life has included some unfinished things. I really want to get back to painting because it's been a long time but I just haven't had energy when I had time. Odds are against me this weekend but you never know.

5 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

I paint when I'm stressed or when the brain weasels attack. I paint for games. I paint for myself. I have lots of things that motivate me but those seem to be the main reasons as of late.

I try to paint when I'm having a bad mood but it rarely works for me. I can't seem to do things properly unless I'm in the right mindset and stress and problems can keep me away from that mindset. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Zink said:

I try to paint when I'm having a bad mood but it rarely works for me. I can't seem to do things properly unless I'm in the right mindset and stress and problems can keep me away from that mindset.

I started painting during a very long period of grief over my dad's death so painting during stress for the most part doesn't phase me anymore, usually. There are definitely times that I can't do it because of how bad things get. I haven't had much motivation recently though. Too much going on in the real world to have time and will to do it.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Morihalda said:

May 5:

***...searches for motivation...***

(I was sure I left some around here somewhere)

May 6:

The weekend is no longer young so it’s looking like not..?

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Morihalda said:

What motivates me to paint? I suppose the short answer is that I’m a gamer, so the anticipation of playing with the figures when I’m done keeps me going.  But, even saying that, there are some projects that I can’t or don’t sustain and that never get finished, and others that turn out to be disappointingly unlike what I had imagined when I started.  So it takes the ones that do end up eventually looking like what I had envisioned at the start to keep me going:

F243CCD4-3954-427E-A8DC-EF64E974B987.thumb.jpeg.7f5bf5c3d4b676a7a2033a76c3bdedd6.jpeg

The 18th century formal siege game project was one...

D50E1CEF-9A2F-4A22-871D-26DD960C7BE8.thumb.jpeg.feab81224cebf0bed035ba763e3c3b29.jpeg

So was the cast at home 16th century project (using a rather limited range of molds from Nuernberger Meisterzinn).

The day is young, so I hope to get some painting done. I was stripping paint from old figures on Friday, and basing a couple of figures done last week yesterday, but it hasn’t been a great hobbying weekend.

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Gaming was an excuse I used for quite awhile. The positive feedback I often get is a motivator, but it is the love of creating little characters & places for them to dwell that is my main motivation.

I just finished a Wyrd Lucky Effigy mini. He needs a base & a spray finish....not necessarily in that order, but that will get done sometime today. Creating is life; so as long as I have the latter I will be doing the former.

The spray is done & here is the Little Fellow waiting for a base:

DSCN6298.thumb.JPG.715318e5c674cf1ea8c37d4e3e788077.JPGDSCN6299.thumb.JPG.6adc94557611598d5aa51de94276a1b1.JPG

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 11