Getting to Know You, May 2018

Morihalda

16 hours ago, Morihalda said:

My husband and I had an incredible server at a restaurant recently and we exchanged wild stories. We try to be super nice customers because we understand the pain....

May 8: Do you have the patience and willpower for customer service or retail industries? Do you have any crazy stories?

Nope. Don't have the patience for stupidity, have no tolerance whatever for people with entitlement issues, and I am entirely too likely to tell somebody to take their *redacted* and *censored* it.

Have /miles/ of patience for people working in retail, though. I don't want to be that guy, and I'll do my best not to be. Even if my day has gone to pants. ^^;

• Like 11

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/6/2018 at 9:51 PM, Morihalda said:

May 7: What part of the painting process are you good at?

All of the above.  ::D:  In truth though I'm not actually a fast painter and I have not spent very much on minis this year.  Given that the standard is only good, I can get by with most of the techniques that get discussed.

16 hours ago, Morihalda said:

My husband and I had an incredible server at a restaurant recently and we exchanged wild stories. We try to be super nice customers because we understand the pain....

May 8: Do you have the patience and willpower for customer service or retail industries? Do you have any crazy stories?

No desire, and no.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Yes and no.

No, I don't think I do.  But yes, I must have some, because I've been doing tech support for going on 17 years now. 

I'm dealing with a "crazy" story right now.  Have a customer who has refused to upgrade his car washes credit card system for over ten years, but has recently discovered that he is not getting paid for all the cards used at his wash.   Before I even started doing the research, I told him it was probably because he hasn't updated his system, and he got mad at me.  Now that I've been researching his system files, I've found that he is essentially giving away $500/month in car washes due to fraudulent cards being used at his site, because of an exploit we found and closed 8 years ago. 

He's going to be really mad when I tell him about that.  

Especially since now the upgrade will cost him. Back then, he refused it because even though the upgrade was at no charge, he still had to pay for labor. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Yes.  And Yes.  I've worked customer service and retail since forever.  I enjoy helping people in small ways. 

Sadly, I have worked in extremely regulated environments that I could lose licensure for.  In my retail days, I was called horrible things, and, prior to removing my wedding ring, I was hit on more times than I'd like to admit (I am a fairly oblivious man, so I missed a bunch of it). 

In the more regulated environments, I have dealt with some of the most racist clients I have ever met, oddly, not in the South Eastern United States.  A slur for every race, including his own.  And that's as far as I dare take that story.  Needless to say, I laugh about it now, because I find that person's view of the world kind of sad. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I used to, but not anymore.

The job I had all the way through high school I never had any problems; when I first started, anybody that was being a PITA got shunted off to a manager. After I was there for a while, I got to the point that I could pretty much resolve 90% of the problems myself, generally only needing to get a manager for refunds/exchanges for high dollar items; under a certain price point they just let me do it myself.

However now, after 20 years in the Navy, I just don't have the patience to put up with people who are acting like dumb elfs. The ones that think they're entitled because they're rich/famous/whatever are even worse. I once had someone try pulling that on me; I looked them dead in the face and said 'I don't give a ------ who you are, you're not special. You bleed just like everyone else.'

And then I smiled at him.

Two stories:

1. Not too long ago actually, I was in line at a convenience store and there was some guy in front of me giving the cashier absolute hell. Why didn't they have his brand of smokes, the soda wasn't cold enough, the candy bars were cheaper at a different store, she was taking too long to answer his demands, etc,etc. This happened to be my local store, and I knew the girl had just started, she was also wearing a badge that stated that she was new. The longer he went on, the more flustered the poor girl was getting.

After about a minute, I had enough, so I barged in.

"Excuse me sir, but if you're this upset, perhaps taking the issue up with the store manager might get you the results you're looking for"

He told me to elf off and mind my own elfing business.

Oh goody, he brought me into it.:devil:

"Well, you made it my business by being a complete jackhole and holding up me and everyone else here" I then proceeded to verbally eviscerate him using language that would probably cause the swear filters here to melt down, but would've made R. Lee Ermey proud. I finished up by telling to carry his sorry butt out of the store and suggesting a highly improbable activity involving a barbed wire fence. He almost looked like he wanted to say something, but he just stormed off in a huff.

2. This one is from back when I was in the Navy. I was working in a calibration shop for electronic test equipment.  Late one afternoon, a guy came in with a piece of equipment demanding that we 'get it calibrated right now, because we're going to sea tomorrow, and we need this'. I tried explaining that there was no way that we could complete the necessary work in time, and offered to check out an identical piece to him from our pool of ready spares. That wasn't good enough, he wanted his piece, and he wanted it done now. I tried explaining that it was a lengthy process that wouldn't be done in time without someone working half the night to do it, and that in order to do that, we needed certain paperwork to be completed authorizing the work. He said he 'didn't have time for that', to which I replied that I was sorry, but there wasn't anything I could do to help him unless he wanted to borrow one of our spares.

Him: So, you're not going to help me.

Me: I can give you one of our spares.

Him: I want to talk to your chief (think store owner)

Me: We don't have one; he retired 3 months ago and we haven't got a new one yet.

Him: (getting angry) Well then, I want to talk to your LPO (think store manager)

Me: We don't have one, he transferred 2 weeks ago, and his replacement isn't here yet.

Him: (getting angrier) Well, I want to talk to whoever's in charge!

Me: You are.:devil:

Seeing his face completely deflate was SO satisfying.:lol:

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 7
  • Haha 9

On 5/7/2018 at 11:35 PM, Morihalda said:

I kind of do. I usually have a calm, pleasant demeanor, and the few times I worked in the service industry, I genuinely wanted to be helpful. I'm overall pretty good at it.

Thing is, I don't like doing that kind of work. I don't *hate* it, but my natural introversion prefers a different sort of work environment.

As for crazy stories, nothing outstanding comes to mind. Working night shift in convenience store, I had a few drunk people coming in right after last call. Working as a car park attendant, chat was usually kept to a minimum.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 8

I seems I did. That seems to be waning after 12 years in customer service and 4 in retail though.

TBH I'm getting real tired of telling customers they are right. Especially when they are downright rude. Which is common in my current industry. I miss just working with my headphones on. I had that for a little while. But it didn't pay well. So I meditate.... and I scream along with metal on my drive home and maybe I will take up boxing and demolition as hobbies. Hopefully that will get the anger out.

Spoiler

I am starting to be balanced again, but it took a long time to get back to where I used to be.

• Like 9

21 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I have worked at Canadian Tire (hardware/sporting goods/automotive store) during the summer (camping and home reno season), and I've worked at a party supply store during Hallowe'en and Christmas/New Years.  Plenty of experiences with unreasonable customers.

Costume department at the party store during Hallowe'en was definitely the worst. Parents looking for costumes for their children last minute have no chill.

Overall, my experiences in retail weren't too unbearable. I look at it as good experience for my current gig as a teacher, because students have even less patience than their parents.

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Morihalda said:

No and No. I tend to be a very polite person but I don't take dealing with idiots well so I avoid jobs dealing with the public.

9 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Can confirm: academics often misplace common sense. 

Some of the smartest people I know are nearly helpless in their everyday lives. I say they live in some sort of slightly attached parallel reality. 

• Like 10

I received an e-mail from an user about a problem with one of my software tools. I had just fixed the same problem about 10 seconds ago for another user so I knew exactly what to do. I still had the appropriate  screens open so I was able to immediately fix this users issue in about 10 seconds.  In my reply e-mail I wrote something like, "Yep we have been seeing that issue lately from a few folks. Give you monitor a little tap on the left side and try again. I got a reply in about 30 seconds and all it said was "That worked!!"

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

23 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Apparently I do.  I work for a managed service provider, so technical support is part of my job, and I haven't gone looking for another job yet.  (Whether or not this is a mistake is an exercise left for the reader.)

I can't think of any crazy stories.

• Like 7

One final note on all this. The depressing tendency of store people to say "Have a nice day" in a knee-jerk fashion at the end of every transaction is now widespread in UK.  

I cannot hear this phrase without thinking of Steve Martin in "My Blue Heaven".

• Like 7

“Have a Blessed Day” has become a frequently heard thing locally. :huh:

I guess... It sounds quasi-religious but is sufficiently generic it can be defended as non-religious ...maybe.  :unsure:

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, TGP said:

“Have a Blessed Day” has become a frequently heard thing locally. :huh:

I guess... It sounds quasi-religious but is sufficiently generic it can be defended as non-religious ...maybe.  :unsure:

Sounds like a mashup of "Blessed Be" and "Have a nice day", at least to me, which is kind of odd because blessed be is a greeting.... 

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Sounds like a mashup of "Blessed Be" and "Have a nice day", at least to me, which is kind of odd because blessed be is a greeting.... 

Yeah, the proper goodbye is "merry meet, merry part, and merry meet again". Of course, I've always liked The Puck.

ETA: @Morihalda your loyal subjects await a question! :kowtow:

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 6