Getting to Know You, May 2018

Morihalda

Yes, I like museums, I haven't been to one I hated yet. but I enjoy reading non-fiction, when accompanied by art or a diorama.

Especially if they contain discussions of rudimentary skills, like how my ancestors made soap, for example.

It's the most palatable way to absorb history, I think.

• Like 6

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Weekend Topic: Museums! Do you like going to museums? What were some of your favorite exhibits, and if you could create your own, what would it cover?

We would make museums part of the family vacation when I was growing up.  I liked them well enough then but I haven't been to one in years. 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Weekend Topic: Museums! ... if you could create your own, what would it cover?

I would create bootstrap museums. 

They would have a supply of usable artifacts but also a set bolted down for display. So there would be a flint knapping exhibit. There would be diagrams showing how to make flint tools. There would be an anvil exhibit. It would show various ways to make anvils... Saws. There would be pliers. There would be explanations of the steps to build tongs/pliers... (And plenty of startup pliers cause nobody knows how to hand-forge a set of pliers or tongs without first having tongs.) Forges. Metal casting. Pottery. Steam engines. All the way up to at least motorcycles.

Museums meant to survive whatever takes civilization down....and help the survivors put it back together again. 

• Like 11

21 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Weekend Topic: Museums! Do you like going to museums? What were some of your favorite exhibits, and if you could create your own, what would it cover?

Definitely yes. Whenever we're travelling we try to check out museums in the area. I've been to many, many museums. Some weren't much more than a bunch of stuff in a back room of somebody's house. One of the more memorable ones was just a private collection of an old lady's about 200km west of me. She had a second house packed with tons of stuff from pioneer days. I doubt I'll ever forget the 100 year old salt pork hanging in the corner. While chatting she found out I was interested in guns and she dug out a bunch for me to play with. Several she couldn't identify and I did some research for her to find out what they were. The 2 most interesting were a Krag Jorgenson army rifle from the US in the late 19th century and a european drilling(double barrelled shotgun with a rifle barrel slung underneath for 3 barrels covering any occasion.)

What museum would I make. That's tough because I like so many things. Number one choice might be medieval and ancient weapons and armour because it's cool and there really isn't anything like that near here.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I love museums of all types.  History, nature, natural history, geological (the one at Mt. St. Helens was fun when I was young), science and industrial museums work, too.  And, for me, I love art museums.  I could spend hours in them.  No one wants to go to an art museum with me to just wander and talk and enjoy, but that is one thing I want to do.

1 hour ago, TGP said:

I would create bootstrap museums. 

They would have a supply of usable artifacts but also a set bolted down for display. So there would be a flint knapping exhibit. There would be diagrams showing how to make flint tools. There would be an anvil exhibit. It would show various ways to make anvils... Saws. There would be pliers. There would be explanations of the steps to build tongs/pliers... (And plenty of startup pliers cause nobody knows how to hand-forge a set of pliers or tongs without first having tongs.) Forges. Metal casting. Pottery. Steam engines. All the way up to at least motorcycles.

Museums meant to survive whatever takes civilization down....and help the survivors put it back together again. 

I like this idea.  This is a very helpful idea.  A bit on the prepper side, but still historically significant enough that people could use the knowledge all the time.  Would you put glass blowing in there?  Some items do require it (such as early transistors), or is that right out?

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Darkmeer said:

I like this idea.  This is a very helpful idea.  A bit on the prepper side, but still historically significant enough that people could use the knowledge all the time.  Would you put glass blowing in there?  Some items do require it (such as early transistors), or is that right out?

Sure to glassblowing. The list in my post was just examples rather than exhaustive. I am not knowledgeable enough to know all the steps needed to build things back up from scratch.  

The whole presentation would be geared on a: first ya need this, then ya can build that... basis. 

And for the record: I got this idea from Larry Niven, the Science Fiction author (more precisely, from one of his books).

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Oh, yes. I haven't been to one since the ... whatsis .. one of the museums in Seattle had the fantasy and sci-fi exhibit with the dragon, though.

I didn't get there while they had the Iron Throne on display, sadly.

Oh, right. Um. If I was going to create my own.. damfyno. Is there a museum of the history of RPGs? With interactive displays? And rentable copies of the assorted systems? ( ... mebbe not FATAL. No one needs to subject themselves to that).

Edited by Sylverthorne
  • Like 4

On 5/11/2018 at 12:27 AM, Morihalda said:

Oh yes.  I particularly like technology and history museums. I do need to go spend some more time with art museums though, which I haven’t done since I stopped trying to do artistic photography. 

So, I’m originally from the Detroit area and I grew up with the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village. I worked as a tour guide there one summer in college, and learned all manner of trivia I still remember about antique furniture and Thomas Edison lore. My parents are still volunteers there.  We stopped in yesterday to visit for a while.  There is a travel exhibit currently about designers Ray and Charles Eames and that led us to the related (and recently installed) permanent exhibit Mathematica, originally designed by them for IBM for the 1964 World’s Fair. 

https://www.thehenryford.org/visit/henry-ford-museum/exhibits/mathematica/

Nerdvana!

• Like 5

Hmmm, I hadn't thought of including Historic sites under the heading of museums, but they certainly qualify.

If that is so then the museum I would create is Isandlwana battlefield; one of the most evocative places I have ever walked. Been lucky enough to visit the site several times and, sadly, it is being gradually encroached by new habitation.  Sad to think that in another generation this fascinating place will probably be unrecognisable.  

• Like 8

I want to add that visiting museums is best when you're with someone who really loves the topic and is knowledgeable about it. You are with a super happy person, and sometimes they point out errors! 

The Smithsonian got a fact wrong about my rock specialty. Not bitter.... nope nope... not at all.... :grr:

• Like 10

On 5/10/2018 at 9:27 PM, Morihalda said:

I enjoy going to museums when I travel, but unfortunately my travels lately haven't left much time to visit any. The last one I was able to visit was an Ice museum at Chena Hotsprings in Fairbanks, AK. 

If I were to create one, it would have to revolve are dragons.

• Like 7

On 5/11/2018 at 12:27 AM, Morihalda said:

I do! So much so that I took a pay cut to work at one!! Growing up, I lived across the street from a small natural history museum, and loved the bug displays in the basement. The arms and armor selection of the NY Met is always a joy to visit. The Smithsonian Air and Space of course. Gotta plug the Intrepid Sea Air and Space museum's space shuttle Enterprise exhibit. I visit that one weekly. 

If I was going to create my own museum? I'd reopen the Higgins Armory Museum. If that wasn't doable, I'd open a museum for us. Museum of Miniature Sculpting and Painting. 

• Like 8

On 5/10/2018 at 11:27 PM, Morihalda said:

Generally speaking, I enjoy going to museums.  Especially so if the exhibits are something that I'm fairly interested in.

Best museum that I haven't been to yet is the Muppet's exhibit at the Museum of the Moving Image in New York.   Hopefully I can get there before it ends.

My problem is the pace at which I tend to want to move through the place.  I'm usually the faster one of the group, which means I spend a lot of time repeating the same territory, or just plain waiting for people to catch up.

Edited by Clearman
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Hm, I forgot to create a museum of my own...

I would like a museum covering the topic of cooking through the centuries.

I'm surprised yours wouldn't be exceedingly shiny, and coated in glitter... ::p:

• Haha 5