Morihalda

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Morihalda said:

May 2: What makes the perfect sandwich?

Alternate fighting words: How far can a sandwich go before it's not a sandwich? 

Reveal hidden contents

Sandwich-alignment-chart.jpg?fit=720%2C495&ssl=1

Tratini, cooked on a panini press.  Can't remember what else is in it, but man DeRose makes a good Tratini sandwich! 

.... But I'm a sucker for a good panini, so.... ::P:

As for when it stops being a sandwich?  I'll argue burgers are sandwiches if I'm in the mood! 

• Like 5

Reveal hidden contents

Sandwiches are more than mere food. They are an expression of the inner being. All of that is to say: different stokes for different folks.

For me a sandwich should be devoid of anything green; meat, cheese, butter, &. depending on the type of sandwich, sauce are what make a sandwich. Greens are for salads & guacamole is for folks other than me.

The question conjured up a veal cutlet (patty) parmigian hero from Sam & Tony's in Merrick, LI...truly a WONDROUS sandwich. I haven't been there since I was a young fellow. I doubt they are still in existence, but the memory of pure joy lives on...true artistry.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Reveal hidden contents

At the risk of drifting into beekeepers territory, I'm going to define a sandwich (at least for today) as a filling between two relatively flat outer layers. In my heart, the outer layers should also be starch/grain-based, which rules out KFC's innovative chicken monstrosities, but would make waffles ok. On the chart, I think that makes me a structure-driven ingredient rebel :upside:

What makes for perfection? Great fillings, and great bread (or whatever) are important, but that's just getting started. Attention to detail, and eat-ability. As much as the over-stuffed pastrami meat-pillow served in "traditional" delis is tasty, I would prefer to have my ingredients relatively evenly distributed between two reasonably flat outer layers. I'd prefer my sandwich to be crafted so that I can fit it in my mouth, and so that it stays mostly intact at least half way through the eating process. If you have read the over-the-top ode to sandwich making at the beginning of Douglas Adams' "Mostly Harmless", that's the approach I want my sandwich maker to take, even if I am unwilling to invest the time myself.

Give me all that, and I'm pretty happy to explore all kinds of crazy filling combos.

This question reminds me that my all-time favorite sandwich place: Whistle Stop, next to the Lincoln, MA rail station, closed two years ago. It was an institution for at least 30 years, and it will be missed. :down:

Brian was a sandwich maker to be reckoned with. (I mean, he's probably not dead, but you know...)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Reveal hidden contents

Elvis's personal cook made the perfect sandwich.

Edited by pinkymadigan
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I'm staying in the purist/neutral range.  Two pieces of bread or bread like baked goods with ingredients layered between.  I'm willing to give hot dogs 'sandwich' status only because I don't see a great deal of difference between those and a meatball grinder.  I agree that tacos and burritos are their own category, and poptarts are not even food so they don't get consideration. 

TGP: you're cooking those WAY too long.  They come pre-cooked so you only need to warm them. Try 30 seconds at a time until you get the temp you want.  

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Reveal hidden contents

The perfect sandwich is... okay, I was going to do one of those vague snarky "the perfect sandwich can only be imagined in the mind" answers but I'm just too tired.

So I'll go with: Reubens.  Reubens may not be the perfect sandwich but they come close.  Reubens with pastrami rather than corned beef are acceptable. (But not anything that replaces the sauerkraut with cole slaw.  I believe that's a horrible idea.  Why do that?)

Now I'm curious about a Korean-themed Reuben using kimchi, although rye bread probably wouldn't work for it.  If you use a baguette, it'd be closer to bánh mì, which I really need to try one of these days.  (I keep getting pho when I go to Vietnamese restaurants...)

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Reveal hidden contents

I am forced to concede that a taco is a sandwich, because falafel sandwiches are a wonderful thing. Crispy falafel, a generous smear of either hummus or baba ghanouj, fresh tomato and cilantro wrapped up in a warm pita. Now I'm hungry and broke till Friday :down:

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

12 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Reveal hidden contents

Top 5 best sandwiches are (subject to change with cravings):

1. Montreal smoked meat on light rye, with hot mustard.

2. Bacon Cheeseburger (with pickles)

3. Cold-cut submarine sandwich

4. Grilled cheese (with or without apple slices or bacon)

5. BLT

I'd say, from this list, my sandwich views are pretty orthodox. But I suppose I'd define myself as "Structural Neutral, Ingredient Rebel", except for tacos. Tacos are not sandwiches. Tacos are tacos.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, EldritchEladrin said:

Top 5 best sandwiches are (subject to change with cravings):

1. Montreal smoked meat on light rye, with hot mustard.

2. Bacon Cheeseburger (with pickles)

3. Cold-cut submarine sandwich

4. Grilled cheese (with or without apple slices or bacon)

5. BLT

I'd say, from this list, my sandwich views are pretty orthodox. But I suppose I'd define myself as "Structural Neutral, Ingredient Rebel", except for tacos. Tacos are not sandwiches. Tacos are tacos.

That's... Uh... Pretty much my answer too.I might reorder the list a little, but aside from that...

• Like 7

4 hours ago, malefactus said:

Sandwiches are more than mere food. They are an expression of the inner being. All of that is to say: different stokes for different folks.

For me a sandwich should be devoid of anything green; meat, cheese, butter, &. depending on the type of sandwich, sauce are what make a sandwich. Greens are for salads & guacamole is for folks other than me.

The question conjured up a veal cutlet (patty) parmigian hero from Sam & Tony's in Merrick, LI...truly a WONDROUS sandwich. I haven't been there since I was a young fellow. I doubt they are still in existence, but the memory of pure joy lives on...true artistry.

Oh, you and my husband would get along great! He takes his sandwiches very seriously - he was the inspiration for this question. He's a hardline traditionalist.

I may be an ingredient rebel when it comes to calling thing sandwiches, but my favorite is something he makes. He gets this really sturdy cheese bread and puts in roast beef, salami, ham, swiss cheese, some sort of oil and seasonings.... man.

They are substantial too haha! He made a simpler version of that to-go when we were at a convention, and tossed one over to me. It made this whump sound on the table that was so loud our tablemates stopped talking to see what happened. :lol: 

• Like 4
  • Haha 8