Getting to Know You, May 2018

Morihalda

6 hours ago, Morihalda said:

May 29: What was your favorite toy growing up?

That is a tough one. As a solitary little boy, my toy soldiers & stuffed animals allowed me to create worlds of fantasy.

It was, however, my basketball that was my closest companion. We would dribble out way to the schoolyard & shoot baskets for hours. 

• Like 8

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait..I grew up?

When Glitterwolf was but a little puppy he already had collected ( through birthdays, Christmas, allowance and bribery) almost every Airfix HO scale army.

He then filled the entire living room with those to fight a historical incorrect world war.

One side had all the "good" guys and one side had all the "bad"guys.

So on one side we had an army where Scottish Highlanders from the Battle of Waterloo would fight shoulder to shoulder with their U.S. WWII Marines and French Foreign Legion troops while on the other side we had the German Wehrmacht from WWII siding with the Roman Legions and the French Imperial Guard from 1815.

All aided by several model kits, where every type of tank or plane was used.

I'm so happy I grew up and don't play with toy soldiers anymore!

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

Lego bricks. No contest.

I mean, You could call that hundreds of toys, in which case things become way more complicated, but I spent more time playing with Lego than any other type of toy, by far.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Based on hours spent, the NES. 

The most over-the-top toy I recall was the Eternia (He-man) playset. It wasn't as big as the GI Joe aircraft carrier (I didn't even have a friend of a friend that had it), but it was pretty big. 

Ack. Forgot about Legos. They definitely were more enduring, years wise, than the NES. But it's probably a toss-up on hours spent. Though Legos are more "toy-like", I guess.

Edited by pinkymadigan
  • Like 11

My Super Nintendo and probably my collection of Polly Pocket dolls and houses, back when they were really pocket sized. Actually, that might be where I started liking miniatures. lol

• Like 7

LEGO blocks.

I don't recall anytime in my youth where I didn't enjoy them, and I was playing with them from age 3 to... present day?

Runner-ups:

• Transformer toys. I could never get enough of transforming toys. And would build my own out of LEGO sometimes.
  • Pencil Drawing. My dad was a university teacher and always had bunch of leftover binders notes printed on one side. The back sides became albums of disposable sketchbooks. The binders also saw tons of use for homework as scratchpads.

Looking back, these are all elements of what defines me today. An introvert mechanical engineer, good at building with his hands and the most visual arts inclined member of the family. Rest of my family is more musically inclined.

• Like 8

On 5/26/2018 at 12:10 AM, TGP said:

::o: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Sequoyah and Cyril pause to look at you funny... ...they were comparing old Scrolls written in Tamil and Arabic and they needed a break. 

Cyril didn't invent the Alphabet any more than Elon Musk invented the automobile. Cyrillic, Tamil, and Arabic are all descendents of Cuneiform. Sequoyah did not live in Antiquity.

8 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Transformers. Honorable mention to the noble bicycle.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, etherial said:

Cyrillic, Tamil, and Arabic are all descendents of Cuneiform.

This is a strange and wondrous Planet you live on. Do you also call it Earth?

(I live on a very different planet...where those scripts lack that ancestry)

Sequoyah did not live in Antiquity.

A fact that I am unable to see as important. 

Edited by TGP
bolded
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Toy?  Lego building blocks, definitely.

I still buy and build them but I find, since I left college, I spend more time building sets as models and don't really go back to the way I used to build things out of random parts.  (I was, and still am, partial to starships.)  I don't know if this is a symptom of my age, of burnout, or of simply not having the time to go through my collection and figuring out something to do.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

I still buy and build them but I find, since I left college, I spend more time building sets as models and don't really go back to the way I used to build things out of random parts.  (I was, and still am, partial to starships.)  I don't know if this is a symptom of my age, of burnout, or of simply not having the time to go through my collection and figuring out something to do.

WORD!

maxresdefault.jpg

I identified so much with Benny in the LEGO movie.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

51 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

WORD!

maxresdefault.jpg

I identified so much with Benny in the LEGO movie.

I used to build Starships out of Legos as well. But at an entirely different scale. Using the ordinary blocks that existed before the specialized kits. 

A stack of legos 5-6 inches long was to me a model of a starship with a crew of hundreds. 

• Like 8

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:24 PM, Morihalda said:

May 25-26: What subject can you talk about for hours (or all weekend)? Tell me an interesting fact or two about it!

Apparently, painting miniatures. I spent the weekend plus a couple of days doing exactly that.

Gaming came up a couple of times too.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:45 PM, Morihalda said:

May 28: What is a super power you would NOT want?

Any kind of power that works on contact would get old fast.

12 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Books...

• Like 6