Getting to Know You, May 2018

Morihalda

On 01/05/2018 at 4:50 AM, Morihalda said:

May 1: What is your favorite party snack food to make, bring, or eat?

To bring: Scotch eggs made with quails eggs and the outer layer is half sausage meat and half haggis. Plus some chutney for smearing on them.

To Eat: Anything not nailed down.

16 hours ago, Morihalda said:

May 2: What makes the perfect sandwich?

Alternate fighting words: How far can a sandwich go before it's not a sandwich? 

Reveal hidden contents

Sandwich-alignment-chart.jpg?fit=720%2C495&ssl=1

Sandwiches should be about the filling, not the handles. So cheap white steamed loaves are satisfactory for these:

Savoury choice: Sunny-side up fried egg with plenty of salt and pepper. (Usually eaten over the kitchen sink to help with the inevitable clearing up.)

Sweet choice: Peanut butter and black cherry jam. (Preferably our own home-made jam with plenty of cinnamon in it.) 

• Like 10

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

But **why** does a club sandwich need that extra slice? No way I can fit a sammich that thick in my mouth. 

If you think a club sandwich is bad, we won't comment on the monstrosities I made when I worked at Subway years ago....  Footlong sub that was basically a four way collision of a blt, melt, chicken breast, and pepper chicken.  It was a glorious sandwich, and yes, I had a good amount of veggies in it too. 

The rules for staff subs changed the next day from "provided you can close it and eat it" to "one recipe sandwich of choice", but to my credit, I did manage to finish off that sandwich during my shift.  Don't think my manager could have had larger eyes even if she was the hero in one of those cutesy anime series with the super large, almost SD chibi eyes... 

Yeah, it was... Amazingly delicious. 

• Like 9

On 4/30/2018 at 11:50 PM, Morihalda said:

Roasted chickpeas. They're vegan, gluten-free, and delicious. While my wife and I do not personally care about the vegan and gluten-free bits, it's no skin off our backs to bring something that is, especially as there are rarely protein options that she can eat due to her capsicum intolerance.

On 5/1/2018 at 1:39 PM, TGP said:

The things I mentioned (and tried to remember) are called:

Sausage Cheese Balls

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/sausage-cheese-balls/6a2a7890-c685-4991-b699-743fd880486f

Double the pancake mix and you get Calontiri Fighter Biscuits.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, aku-chan said:

I'd consider almost everything on that chart a "Sandwich" of some kind, but an proper, real Sandwich consists of something edible between two slices of bread.

The Pop Tart doesn't count at all because technically it's a pie.

Technically, it's a tart.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

18 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Reveal hidden contents

I feel that any meal that can be eaten while held in one hand so as to facilitate gambling counts as a sandwich. My favorite sandwich is the Reuben, which I have only rarely ordered more than once a day.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Hide contents

Food, contained within another food, so that it may be eaten with a minimum of one hand.

If it requires tools, it is no longer a sandwich.

Grilled cheese with ham (or whatever other meat we have lying around) is a favorite around here. I like a fried egg sandwich (overeasy, with slivers of onion and a little pepper), but I would also count a burger as a sandwich, so ... YMMV.

Poptarts are not food. They are sugar and fake calories cleverly disguised as food and should not be tolerated (unless they are home-made from scratch, in which case they may be forgiven).

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

On 4/30/2018 at 11:05 PM, NebulousMissy said:

To bring: Cookies. The number of people I know who did not grow up with homemade cookies is staggering. So I toss together some average chocolate chip cookies and it turns into this big emotional thing and it's... I dunno, it's gratifying. And kind of sad

Add me to the list of people who did not grow up with homemade cookies. As a child I always thought this was an American family passtime and that Asian families don't bake. Nope! It was because of two working parents and little time to cook meals, let alone have time to bake sweets. So I'm always appreciative of those that bake and share. ^.^

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Hide contents

I'm not particularly peculiar about what I consider to be or not be a sandwich.

Sometimes I'm content with a buttered bread and tomatoes. Sometimes I will enjoy a club sandwich. Other times, an ice cream sandwich will do the job.

If it's ingredients I enjoy contained within another plainer food, it's sandwich enough for me.

• Like 6

On 4/30/2018 at 10:50 PM, Morihalda said:

Waldorf Salad.  I am very fond of it made with Miracle Whip.  Why yes, I am from the Midwest, why do you ask?  I am also fond of smearing cream cheese on roast beef and rolling them around pickle spears.

21 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Hide contents

I tend to be along an Ingredient Purist line.  I call a Sub and a BLT and a Chip Butty a sandwhich (I used to eat a potato chip and bologna sandwhich).  A wrap isn't a sandwhich, it's something else.  A hot dog is not a sandwhich, but it gets close.  A pop tart is a pie.

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Nope,

Club Sandwich for instance..

Three layers of bread, different meat/cheese/condiments between each layer.

Delicious when it all comes together.

image.png.f0b6d26a2239fc8439357bbfe96e36dd.png

One of my favorite sandwiches!  Add some pickles and I'm a happy camper!

• Like 4

As far as I'm concerned, a sandwich involves stuff stuffed inside bread - you can call ice cream between two cookies or bacon and some other stuff inbetween two pieces of chicken a sandwich if you want to, but it's not really.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm not going to dwell on what actually defines a sandwich.  But in order to be "perfect", said sandwich needs to be hold-able in one hand, not have any spillage/leakage, and cannot interfere with playing cards, driving, etc.

• Like 4