Getting to Know You, May 2018

Morihalda

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hubby's contribution to the sandwich discussion: the perfect sandwich is one I don't have to make myself. :lol: He also seems to think that sandwiches taste better when I make them. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Morihalda said:

May 3: Do you know a second (or more!) language or would you like to learn one someday?

Some days I can barely speak English :wacko:

I'd love to know all the languages just because language is neat. But I think it's too late for my brain to know anything but English and the occasional pyglatin. :rolleyes:

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Morihalda said:

May 3: Do you know a second (or more!) language or would you like to learn one someday?

Native language is Dutch.

English - Fluent, Itz a beotifool Languish! I can speek and rite it velly well!

German - I get around, I understand both spoken and written, am able to converse in both ways, will mess up the grammar though.

French- Just enough to pick up a girl or get into a fight with her boyfriend..

Spanish - QUE?

Ok, aside from a few swearing words or greetings in Greek, Japanese or Italian , that's about it.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I am only fluent in English.  I have taken classes on French, Latin, and Japanese.  I believe I have retained the basics of grammar but I'm lacking in vocabulary.

I am not convinced my hearing (or attention span, one of the two) is good enough for reliably understanding spoken languages (including English, some days).

I enjoy the idea of learning other languages, so I tend to collect books on learning other languages.  I have books on learning Old English, Gaelic, German, and Welsh and translation dictionaries for Magyar and Russian (currently on loan).

I'd like to learn basic Finnish and Chinese some day.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I did French in high school, wasn't very good though (my brain fizzled out when it came to trying to remember what gender buildings were).

I would like to learn Japanese, I took a few classes during my over-zealous anime fan days, but the course got cancelled before I really got anywhere.

• Like 6

I did take French in high school.  I vame in handy on my first liberty call in Toulon.  I have since forgotten most of it.

I too can order a beer in half a dozen languages.  Although waving money and pointing works fine too.

I had a shipmate that had the word for beer tattooed on his forearm in over a dozen languages.  Je would go to a bar and just point.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

7 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I don’t. Despite having studied both French and German in the past. 

My preferred solution is for English to steal Anglicize all the useful/unique words from other languages so that there is eventually just one language. 

Commœnglish

One world; one language.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Morihalda said:

two years of highschool german 

5 semesters of college german, most of which I passed.

although the last may have been out of pity. 

I can communicate with other americans who learned german in school.

but  I don't actually know it and it is useless for communicating with or understanding native speakers. 

I would never bother trying to learn a new language, I struggled too hard only to get nowhere.  It is not where I am going to put my effort in the future. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 6

I had French in High School, but have let it slip away.  I can say I don't speak the language in several languages.  I have Judo Japanese ( count, and the name of throws )  I also know Algol, Basic, 6502 ML, Pascal and JavaScript.  I am terrible in Klingon and Elfish.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Morihalda said:

No. I took Latin in high school & college. I would love to speak Spanish &, if I could still hear music, Italian & French...for the opera.

When you get to my age, "someday" & "never" are synonyms.

• Like 7

Mother tongue is English

Language of study was French (still fluent, which makes life with French Canadian inlaws much easier)

Second written/read language after French was Swedish (all forgotten now)

Fluent in Spanish after living in Mexico and Spain

Studied German, Italian and Latin through high school.  Have enough Italian and German left that I could do some basic groceries and order a drink.  Picked up a little Arabic while in Saudi. 

Know a little Japanese from my Aikido days.  Still enough to help the kids name their moves and count.  

• Like 8

18 hours ago, Cyradis said:

But **why** does a club sandwich need that extra slice? No way I can fit a sammich that thick in my mouth. 

I have no idea why it was invented. (Probably because somebody wanted an exclusive, and special sandwich for some purpose), but there is a potential benefit:

Placing two slippery food items together, like tomato against lettuce, creates instability in a sandwich. When you pick it up, and take a bite, they slide against eachother, and promote sandwich disintegration. If you separate them with some bread, you eliminate the problem. This may also work for loose ingredients, like shredded meat, coleslaw, etc.

I may be overthinking this.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I've been trying to learn Russian for years. I was on Duolingo for a while but they kept trying to upsell me and their XP system rolls over at 23:59:59, even if I'm in the middle of a lesson. Also on my to-do list are French, Japanese, and Hebrew.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

I may be overthinking this.

I call it "molecular cohesion" and the same principle applies to bedding. You want blankets with good molecular cohesion so that the top sheet doesn't get all crumpled in one corner and the comforter doesn't dribble off the foot of the bed.

• Like 7