Getting to Know You, May 2018

Morihalda

8 hours ago, Morihalda said:

May 3: Do you know a second (or more!) language or would you like to learn one someday?

I can speak passable German, if I have been exposed to native speakers for a few days. Without practice, my vocabulary just disappears. :down:

I would love to learn more languages, but it takes time I don't have, and does not get easier with age. I could easily come up with a list of a dozen or more that I think would be cool, but I'll be lucky if I even find the time to bring my existing German skills up to par.

ETA: I also took 5 years of Latin, and have only a little to show for it. Once again, no practice = no vocabulary. I could probably brush up to the point that I could read Virgil again, but It's like 394th on my list of priorities. :upside:

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 7

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Cyradis said:

The magic recipe is on the back of the bag of chocolate chips. Best part of homemade cookie dough is eating the raw dough. My mom insisted that we help "clean" the bowls. :poke:

I modify the recipe, dropping the amount of sugar a bit, and chilling the dough before baking. 

8 hours ago, Morihalda said:

May 3: Do you know a second (or more!) language or would you like to learn one someday?

Took Latin and Italian in high school, half heartedly working on Chinese when I'm not studying for the CPA or painting.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Restaurant Spanish. Enough to joke around with the cooks anyway. 

Also fluent in VB.Net, and able to muddle my way through C#, C++, and just about any C derived language really. Had a lot of fun reading and writing COBOL and Assembly at one point but I don't know that I would be able to do much with them anymore. 

• Like 8

I know bits of French. I took it in high school and a little bit in college. I'd like to pick it back up on duolingo but just haven't had the drive to do it lately.

• Like 7

I know English passably. I may actually know more grammar for Japanese and klingon as I managed to skip most English grammar classes by switching between schools in different states. Fortunately I fake it pretty well due to how much I read. I've got the practical usage down; proofreaders don't usually have issues with my grammar, but if you want me to list the rules or identify the names of parts of a sentence, you will usually get a blank look from me. I know the names of types of words from MadLibs. 

2 years of Japanese classes and maybe 3 or so of unofficial klingon lessons, oh and half a semester plus kitchen experience of Spanish. I like knowing bits of different languages so I know a few words of and can recognize when I hear Portuguese, French, German, Swedish, Chinese, Korean, Hindi, Russian, Italian, Latin and I'm working on Dutch. 

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Like the other Canadians, I learned French in school (Grades 4 to 9), but it's a muscle I haven't been using. Nowadays, I can still understand a few vocab words and I can conjugate fewer verbs.  I'd really like to relearn and stick with it!

• Like 7

My secondary languages are not geographic or cultural, but technical.  I "speak" several different coding languages, and I sometime feel they get discounted.  Like traditional languages, they involve both syntax, grammar, and vocabulary, and are definitely meant for communication.

• Like 12

I can read and speak very basic Spanish and understand a bit more when it is spoken to me. I took 5 years of Latin in college/highschool. I loved it but have forgotten most of it by now.

I have a friend who is now mostly deaf due to an accident so I have been taking several community (i.e. the hobby type) courses in ASL and I would really like to take some proper academic approved courses in it. It's fascinating.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

I modify the recipe, dropping the amount of sugar a bit, and chilling the dough before baking. 

I often switch 1/2 cup white sugar to brown sugar, and chill for a bit. Also eat a few spoon fulls of dough... for quality assurance. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

On 4/30/2018 at 10:50 PM, Morihalda said:

May 1: What is your favorite party snack food to make, bring, or eat?

I used to make a really good brownie before I found out I was diabetic.  These days I usually just bring something low carb for me and chips for everyone else.

On 5/1/2018 at 9:30 PM, Morihalda said:

May 2: What makes the perfect sandwich?

Alternate fighting words: How far can a sandwich go before it's not a sandwich? 

Reveal hidden contents

Sandwich-alignment-chart.jpg?fit=720%2C495&ssl=1

Two bread slices with meat, cheese, and veggies between them works for me.  If I have to break my jaw to cram it in the food hole I may have gone too far.

11 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I studied Spanish in high school but I've forgotten the majority of it over the last 20 years.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I want to learn so many! It's just putting away that time and then finding people to use it with so I don't forget it. I would like to learn more Spanish (I can generally understand but I reply back in English, I'm a terrible Hispanic :down: ).

My husband and I are taking ASL together out of necessity and fun. Necessary because his hearing has been getting fuzzier over the last several years, and fun because we treat it like a secret best friend code in front of people who don't know it. :lol: 

8 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Some days I can barely speak English :wacko: 

I'd love to know all the languages just because language is neat. But I think it's too late for my brain to know anything but English and the occasional pyglatin. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, klarg1 said:

I would love to learn more languages, but it takes time I don't have, and does not get easier with age. I could easily come up with a list of a dozen or more that I think would be cool, but I'll be lucky if I even find the time to bring my existing German skills up to par.

Yes! There are so many I want to learn!! 

3 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

I also know Algol, Basic, 6502 ML, Pascal and JavaScript.  I am terrible in Klingon and Elfish.

1 hour ago, Clearman said:

My secondary languages are not geographic or cultural, but technical.  I "speak" several different coding languages, and I sometime feel they get discounted.  Like traditional languages, they involve both syntax, grammar, and vocabulary, and are definitely meant for communication.

Bless you two. :lol: The first thing my husband asked when he saw the question was, "technical or cultural?" I didn't think of that haha!

1 hour ago, TheMandolin said:

I have a friend who is now mostly deaf due to an accident so I have been taking several community (i.e. the hobby type) courses in ASL and I would really like to take some proper academic approved courses in it. It's fascinating.

Check out International Open Academy. There are often discounts through Groupon for it as well. Tier 1 is covers basics like numbers, grammar, and learning body language. If you are familiar with that stuff, I would suggest their Tier 2, which covers things like facial expressions, workplaces, everyday life, and deaf culture.

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

I often switch 1/2 cup white sugar to brown sugar, and chill for a bit. Also eat a few spoon fulls of dough... for quality assurance. 

Yessss! Brown sugar in cookies is where it's at! :wub: 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I'm a native French speaker, so... yeah. Technically, I can also say I'm a native English speaker (born in Ontario). I knew I was fully bilingual by age 3, though with far less practice in *speaking* English, it doesn't flow out naturally.

I could also do the Canadian joke of being trilingual as I also understand Newfoundlander. Ain't that right @buglips*the*goblin? (Yes b'y!)

On a more serious note, I once took Spanish in high school, and German in university.

I'd like to learn Japanese, but I also know I won't do much with it as I want to travel to many other places that don't speak English or French.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cranky Dog said:

I could also do the Canadian joke of being trilingual as I also understand Newfoundlander. Ain't that right @buglips*the*goblin? (Yes b'y!)

While I’m an American, I’ve been to Newfoundland a couple of times, so I think I get the joke. ::P:

But taking it semi-seriously, even leaving out the Francophones, my impression was that there was a lot of dialectical variation. A store clerk in St. John’s who I could barely follow explained to me on one of those visits that her relatives up the coast “talked so Irish” that she could barely understand them. Perhaps she was pulling my leg, but she seemed sincere...

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Morihalda said:

When I was in Italy for my first duty station in the Navy, I made a point of learning Italian. Eventually, I could carry on a conversation at around a fourth or fifth grade level, and the locals loved me for it.

Even when I completely butchered something, or made embarrassing blunders (the words for pen and penis are VERY similar) it was overlooked because I was at least trying. Sadly, since I haven't had any call to use it, I have forgotten most of it...

13 hours ago, paintybeard said:

Zwei biere, bitte.

Dos cervesas, por favor.

Deux bieres, s'il vous plait.

Dva piva pozhaluysta.

I can speak fluent beer! A very useful accomplishment for anyone following a sea-going career.

Yup, you beat me to it!

I can also ask where the bathroom is, though. For when I need to make room for some more beer.:poke:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Cranky Dog said:

While I’m an American, I’ve been to Newfoundland a couple of times, so I think I get the joke. ::P:

But taking it semi-seriously, even leaving out the Francophones, my impression was that there was a lot of dialectical variation. A store clerk in St. John’s who I could barely follow explained to me on one of those visits that her relatives up the coast “talked so Irish” that she could barely understand them. Perhaps she was pulling my leg, but she seemed sincere...

• Like 2