Sci Fi city style bases

40 minutes ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

Unfortunately not at the moment, but thanks for the heads up - didn't know them. I'll keep them on my list for future references. Thanks for the help, Corporea. I really appreciate it!

I haven't gamed in so long, that I wasn't prepared for such an event, neither.

Thanks for the help, guys.

And as I read the next post already - just let me say: Thank you, guys for all the assistance, BUT: The problem is not HOW I can make the bases.  (I did a couple for my infinity miniatures before)

The problem is: I cannot access any of my stuff. I am currently away from home, and I only took a few miniatures with me for "enjoying" the evenings after work. My current workbench looks like this: 2 knives, 6 files, plastic glue, super glue, some wire for pinning, a box cutter, some sanding paper and some magnets (and some colours). That's all.

If I was at home, I would have had the ability to get all the stuff and prepare a few bases. But I won't be at home for two weeks and I cannot just get there to get the stuff. And I will not buy bases for the miniatures, plastic card, putty, etc. just to prepare two bases.

Therefore my hope was that maybe someone of you has an idea where I can access one or two of those bases so I have got the time to get those figures at least based and primed.

But I think the only solution is to buy a big pack and hope that the other bases will find either another use or a buyer later.

Anyway: Thanks for the help!

@Jordan Peacock: I'll store your post on my computer :-D Just for future use. Thanks.

Sanding Paper!

If you can put it on a round object, like a washer or something and spray it black/ grey you have asphalt!

No brushing of course...

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 3

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a hardware store nearby?  A screen patch kit should have some small pieces of mesh in it, and you should be able to use scissors to cut a piece to fit the top of a plain base and glue it on. Quick, easy, but effective. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, kristof65 said:

Is there a hardware store nearby?  A screen patch kit should have some small pieces of mesh in it, and you should be able to use scissors to cut a piece to fit the top of a plain base and glue it on. Quick, easy, but effective. 

I already checked for stores or DIY. Nothing in the immediate vicinity. There is nothing. It would take me 20 minutes by bus to get to the next town and take the train for the next city ... every hour ... that this is even possible in a country like Germany ...

For now I have enlarged the request to other forums I am in. Let's see if I get an answer. if not, those figures won't make it in time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

Therefore my hope was that maybe someone of you has an idea where I can access one or two of those bases so I have got the time to get those figures at least based and primed.

But I think the only solution is to buy a big pack and hope that the other bases will find either another use or a buyer later.

Anyway: Thanks for the help!

Well, when you get down to that point, the big problem becomes that the shipping & handling costs for any supplier are going to become the big factor in cost for bases (unless you're shelling out for some seriously pricey bases).  I don't happen to know of any good game stores in the vicinity of the Kingdom of the Dice Fairy, alas, so I can't point you to a local seller.  (Not that it would necessarily help anyway.  My LGS doesn't carry scenic bases, and won't order them for me, either, so I don't know that it's a common offering for miniatures stores.)

Once upon a time, I would have recommended that you get a copy of "Sedition Wars."  It was available on the cheap in a number of places.  The minis are a royal headache to try to assemble, and suffer "melty-face" far worse than the worst of the Bones 1 Kickstarter examples, but it's a GREAT source for sci-fi plastic bases.  (That, and the game tiles are kind of nice, if you need map tiles for a sci-fi horror scenario.)  I still see it available for far less than I paid to get in on the Kickstarter (I still mourn my foolishness) but not at an amount that would be cost-effective for just TWO BASES.

Dust Tactics bases are kind of nice, too, if you can get some figures on the cheap.  The base diameter works out to around 30mm, and have a techno look, with rivets along the rim, and a diamond-plate pattern on the surface.  It wouldn't be quite the "Infinity" look, but still suitable for sci-fi, IMHO.

You might check with Warsenal (the proprietor and his laser cutter are actually somewhere on the north side of the Orlando, Florida urban area, despite the ".al" part of the web site name).  In addition to carrying more conventional resin bases for Infinity, the site also carries a number of laser-cut acrylic and MDF bases.  Clusters of bases come in as few as 5 bases.  Yeah, that's not *2*, but at least it's not like ordering a pack of 10 or 20?  (And anyway, when you're going for a really, really small order, shipping and handling is going to start dominating the overall cost.)

(LONG RAMBLING ASIDE: The laser-cut bases are kind of neat.  I got some by chance when I ordered a couple of the Warsen.al acrylic "junk box" packs.  (It's really a BAG, not a box.)  Every now and again, there will be an announcement on Facebook that there are some "junk boxes" available, and the MDF bags will sell out in seconds.  (Or at least, the one time it popped up while I was actively in Facebook, even though I went straight to the site, they were all sold out before I could complete an order.  The rest of the time ... yeah, it was already long gone anyway.)  For whatever reason, the acrylic bags are easier to get before they sell out -- I've gotten two of them, and lucked out in that I got several laser-cut acrylic bases of assorted sizes, plus enough pieces to make some sci-fi holographic terminals.  (I'll have to post pictures of that project some other time.)  The trouble is that it takes a long while to get fulfilled (a month, in my case), and it's a GAMBLE: I mostly just get the junk boxes/bags because I LIKE getting random assortments of "bitz" on the cheap, and then figuring out what in the world I can do with them.  I got the acrylic bits largely in the hope of getting some scraps of the "fluorescent" translucent plastic that is used for "holographic" and "illuminated" accents in the largely MDF-based scenery kits included on the site.  I use those bits for much the same purpose in my own constructs.  As it so happened, I did indeed get a bunch of them, but most folks would probably just see it as a bag o' plastic garbage.)

• Like 4