A Blast From The Past - Some of Cyr's Really Old Enamel Minis

Cyradis

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're making me nostalgic for those glowing enamel colors.  ^_^  Having done a fair bit of enamel painting myself, you did some amazing things!  I remember having to fight with the paint when it started to get thick, and it often was.  I'm going to console myself with the knowledge that I was working with 25mm sculpts.  :;): 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sophie was taken said:

They’re still vibrant and impressive! Really digging the dwarf’s beard especially.

His was my first time being proud of drybrushing! 

22 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

You're making me nostalgic for those glowing enamel colors.  ^_^  Having done a fair bit of enamel painting myself, you did some amazing things!  I remember having to fight with the paint when it started to get thick, and it often was.  I'm going to console myself with the knowledge that I was working with 25mm sculpts.  :;): 

The paint was sooo gloppy and I didn't know to thin it except to make a wash!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Very cool to see.

There is a thread somewhere where we showed our first minis and our last to show the improvement we made.

Can't find it right now..

That sounds like one of the middle of the month April questions... Or late March. ^_^

• Like 2

Oh but I do LOVE trips down Memory Lane. When I started painting toy soldiers, Testor's Enamel was The Paint. There is something lovely & charming about enamels as your LOVELY & CHARMING creations demonstrate. VERY NICELY DONE!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Darcstaar said:

Looks like some great old Garrity sculpts!

Even then, you could still see the innate talent despite the constraints of the tools.

Thanks for sharing.

Yep, old Garrity sculpts were (and still are among) favorites! I think 90%+ of what I painted were sculpts by her back then. My dad taught me the basics - I guess he did a good job! 

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

That's still some very nice work considering the tools you were using.:winkthumbs:

I've got about half of those same figures; of course, mine are still waiting for paint...

A bunch of mine are still waiting for paint too. I have two half-painted Garrity sculpts in acrylics that I started about the time I found the forums in 2010. I'm not going to strip them but I think I should just complete them in their current state, mixing talent levels. They'll be... interesting. 

2 hours ago, malefactus said:

Oh but I do LOVE trips down Memory Lane. When I started painting toy soldiers, Testor's Enamel was The Paint. There is something lovely & charming about enamels as your LOVELY & CHARMING creations demonstrate. VERY NICELY DONE!

Most of the paint was Testors, but I also used some Model Masters. There are still a few colors that I haven't been able to find in acrylic that the enamels had! 

• Like 3

Dried both too fast and too slow. It would soon become unworkable, but each coat took 30mins at least to dry until you could put a new layer down or else you'd muck up the surface! It got weirdly gummy. I'd have 5-6 figures out at a time to rotate through them while the others dried. So glad the acrylics have reasonable drying times! 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Thanks, fellas! Future Old Minis can go in there. I know I have #2 clunking around somewhere. I thought metallic silver was the most rad skirt on a druid for that one.... bwahahaha. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2