Sign in to follow this  
WhiteWulfe

"Odd" behaviour from an effectively new brush

So for those of you who are experts on this kind of thing, I have a question that's bugging me a fair bit, and hoping to get a few answers.  Started using my Windsor and Newton Series 7 size 0 brush, which had pretty much a perfect tip to it when I bought it...  I have a few hours with this now, maybe 3, and it's been doing this since around the ten minutes in mark....

5aee3d6388bcb_Weirdbrush2.thumb.jpg.c54ab8dac7ed0ea963c5145353ba0dfc.jpg

^That's how it looks right after I take it out of my paint water, and then blot the excess water off....  Well, about 95% of the time anyways, but still.

5aee3d62c5044_Weirdbrush1.thumb.jpg.97c0e39c39a67eee2b9c424907ca16de.jpg

^This is what it does just lying on my desk within 2-3 minutes after the fact -well, about half the time anyways, sometimes it waits until paint goes on...

5aee3e4d070f1_Weirdbrush3.thumb.jpg.9fba4721c10cb2d4e014ff86c7acfcbb.jpg

^For example of how the bristles go in odd directions and won't hold a point, this is right after a quick dip into one of the washes I'm working with at the moment, although usually the split is most of the way through the bristles.

5aee3f6e98d6c_Weirdbrush4.thumb.jpg.b3052ba141613e5c6d541479964a1899.jpg

For reference, this is how it looked brand new (sadly, I don't have any shots of it out of the tube and with the protector off before initial use)

So, a few questions come to mind:

- What is happening with this?

- Can it be fixed?

- What can be done to prevent it from happening again?  Kind of... Okay, I won't lie, I'm rather annoyed (to use a forum appropriate wording) at a $25 CAD brush behaving in a manner none of my other brushes have (well, until they've seen a LOT of use)

Thanks in advance!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

this has happened to me with one of my R&C brushes after about a months use. When I would than clean the brush with masters soap and wouldn't rinse and let the soap dry on the brush with a fine tip and would also dip it in hair conditioner from time to time to add moisture to the bristles. I just bought (arrived today) speedball's brush shaper hoping it'll fix that problem once and for all. hope this helps. In other words I blame it on the driness of the bristles but could be wrong.

• Like 2

My R&C #1 kinda did that for a while. I had to trim a few stray hairs on the side, but letting it hold with masters soap for a few days then rinsing it helped. It still doesn't have as good of a point as my #2, but it is now functional. Wasn't nearly as bad as your pictures, however. 

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

So, a few questions come to mind:

- What is happening with this?

- Can it be fixed?

- What can be done to prevent it from happening again?  Kind of... Okay, I won't lie, I'm rather annoyed (to use a forum appropriate wording) at a $25 CAD brush behaving in a manner none of my other brushes have (well, until they've seen a LOT of use)

Thanks in advance!

Some brushes are just bad and there is nothing you can do to fix them, they just weren't made right from the start. It doesn't matter what brand it is a few brushes will always slip through. For Windsor and Newton Series 7 specifically there was a stretch of a lot of bad brushes a while back, you may have gotten an old stock from then or just something that happened to slipped through recently.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Cyradis said:

My R&C #1 kinda did that for a while. I had to trim a few stray hairs on the side, but letting it hold with masters soap for a few days then rinsing it helped. It still doesn't have as good of a point as my #2, but it is now functional. Wasn't nearly as bad as your pictures, however. 

Speaking of stray hairs... When painting I usually wind up with several going whichever way they want to, which always makes it "fun". 

12 hours ago, cmorse said:

Some brushes are just bad and there is nothing you can do to fix them, they just weren't made right from the start. It doesn't matter what brand it is a few brushes will always slip through. For Windsor and Newton Series 7 specifically there was a stretch of a lot of bad brushes a while back, you may have gotten an old stock from then or just something that happened to slipped through recently.

I was hoping it wasn't such, but given just how badly it splits, and it started doing this just ten minutes after taking it out of the sleeve, it's hard to think of anything other than a problematic to begin with brush...  Just rather disheartening because it's my first "good" brush (high quality?  Oh!  I'll say first Kolinsky Sable brush!) and at $25 CAD ($26.25 CAD if you factor in GST) when you're on a tight budget it sure hits harder than one might expect. 

3 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Doesn't W&N warranty their brushes?

Youmay want to send them an email.

I will give them a shout, as well as the store I bought it from, since it seems this definitely isn't normal behaviour for their brushes. 

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Speaking of stray hairs... When painting I usually wind up with several going whichever way they want to, which always makes it "fun". 

I was hoping it wasn't such, but given just how badly it splits, and it started doing this just ten minutes after taking it out of the sleeve, it's hard to think of anything other than a problematic to begin with brush...  Just rather disheartening because it's my first "good" brush (high quality?  Oh!  I'll say first Kolinsky Sable brush!) and at $25 CAD ($26.25 CAD if you factor in GST) when you're on a tight budget it sure hits harder than one might expect. 

I will give them a shout, as well as the store I bought it from, since it seems this definitely isn't normal behaviour for their brushes. 

If you got your brush at Deserres, they have a 30 day return/exchange policy.

From their website:

The following list of items are non-refundable and non-exchangeable both online and in-store: books, magazines, markers, pens, aerosols, projectors, custom framing and printing, Pantone products, liquidation items, and gift cards.

Brushes seem OK to exchange.

One thing I remember reading when buying brushes in-store is to see if you can "try" them. Even if it's not a perfect point when dry, you dip the hairs into water, and if it naturally forms a point, it's good. I've done this with my own W&N S7 brushes at my local Deserres (I don't think Michaels would've been so accommodating).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

If you got your brush at Deserres, they have a 30 day return/exchange policy.

From their website:

The following list of items are non-refundable and non-exchangeable both online and in-store: books, magazines, markers, pens, aerosols, projectors, custom framing and printing, Pantone products, liquidation items, and gift cards.

Brushes seem OK to exchange.

One thing I remember reading when buying brushes in-store is to see if you can "try" them. Even if it's not a perfect point when dry, you dip the hairs into water, and if it naturally forms a point, it's good. I've done this with my own W&N S7 brushes at my local Deserres (I don't think Michaels would've been so accommodating).

Definitely good to know!  It was pretty much a perfect point dry when we looked at it at the store, so I didn't think much of it...  Until I started trying to paint with it.

Thanks for finding and copying that, I couldn't find it anywhere on their site.  Now here's hoping they still have a size 0 available ^_^;;;;

(only thing that sucks is now I have to go back to West Ed, blech ::P: )

It looks to me as though that brush was used for oil painting and not properly cleaned. Maybe it was a return from another customer. You could try thorough cleaning with liquid hand soap or dish soap and then treatment with hair conditioner.

Or just return it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DocPiske said:

It looks to me as though that brush was used for oil painting and not properly cleaned. Maybe it was a return from another customer. You could try thorough cleaning with liquid hand soap or dish soap and then treatment with hair conditioner.

Or just return it.

I wound up returning it.  They had one other one in their lockup cabinets (art stores around here lock down their more expensive brushes, especially the small ones due to ease of theft).  One of the ladies at the till got the equivalent of shocked anime eyes when she saw the first one I had, and how it behaves.  Been a while since I've seen someone with eyes that went that wide! 

Replacement one had an ever so slight snake tongue fork to it that could only be seen in a very specific way (and was fractions of a millimeter in size), and so I did what some of the people here recommended - asked if I could see it with the bristles wet (aka dip it in water).  Quick dip and it reformed into what looked like a perfect tip. 

Can't wait to give it a try! 

• Like 8