Sign in to follow this  
EvilJames

Gencon: The Loomining

Huh usually I put one of these up sooner than this. Just been busy I guess.

Who's all going?

How did you fair in the hotel lottery?

So Sunday was event registration.

Did you get into the events you wanted?

My group did fairly well at the hotel thing this year even though we had to split the group this year. both hotels are fairly close.

I got into most of the events I wanted. had some issues with the priority system preventing me from getting into events because it conflicted with another event that I would only be going to if I hadn't gotten into an earlier time. Yet some how it did allow me to sign up for 2 Speed paints that conflicted with other events that I got into. (and I only realized one before paying)

Also I just a bit ago remembered that I wanted to do a Frostgrave event but they are all sold out already.

Apparently the speed painting events count as “tournaments”, and are exempted from the overlap time deconfliction system...

This wasn’t my year. Everyone in my crew drew a late hotel number, so we are out by the airport. I didn’t draw a particularly early event placement either, so my events list was a little thin, and I need to throw back a Fate game at some point to allow me to do some speed painting.  

Nevertheless, I look forward to going. I have a couple of awkward gaps between events, so I guess they are where the shopping will occur...

Just couldn't get excited about gencon this year.  I keep trying and last year we did the entire 4 day experience.  To be honest, I was not overly excited.  I did get to play some games (that I had to pay for, yuck) but a lot of the things I wanted to do were gone seconds after the registration opened.  I also wanted to play new board games but couldn't find anything that wasn't swarmed or completely avoided like a ghost town.  I had hopes of seeing some people that I didn't get much time with but there were too many people and it was a much more city attitude then I like in my gaming environments.  I was raised on small events (Reapercon loses more of its luster every year because it keep getting bigger, just call me a heretic I am always torn between wishing for success of a con and wishing for the quieter more intimate days).

I cut my teeth on Gathering of friends, gulf games, and gulf lake games for cons where they were invitation only, and limited to a couple of hundred people at max.  50k people at Gencon just leaves me looking for a small hole to hide in. 

I will probably go back to the Sunday fun pass to have a look around and enjoy the day catching a few games and stuff but the whole thing just is more frustration and expense than fun.

Yeah, feeling the same way Kangaroorex.  So many people, so many lines, so much walking... it just stopped being a fun experience for me.  Enjoying the smaller local cons a lot more these days. 

Usually someone from our group manages to do ok in the hotel lottery.  We're not in our favorite location,  but we're still in one of the walking distance hotels.  I managed most of my events, which is nice.

I like GenCon, but if I had to miss it, I could.  AdeptiCon has been my go-to con for the past 5 years or so - much smaller, much easier, and the vendor hall is much friendlier to my wallet.

9 hours ago, warlordgarou said:

Usually someone from our group manages to do ok in the hotel lottery.  We're not in our favorite location,  but we're still in one of the walking distance hotels.  I managed most of my events, which is nice.

I like GenCon, but if I had to miss it, I could.  AdeptiCon has been my go-to con for the past 5 years or so - much smaller, much easier, and the vendor hall is much friendlier to my wallet.

I really wanted to go to that one but work did not permit me to get free that weekend.  Sigh, maybe next year.

I did manage to go to Adepticon for Saturday this year. Will probably do so again next year. Wife and I are planning to do Gameholecon as well. Went for a day last year. planning to try a the whole weekend this time. I'm still excited about Gen Con, but it is getting crowded, and I figure it's a good idea to keep the medium and small cons in mind just in case something makes me unable or unwilling to go to GenCon.

Since we drive in, we always stay outside of town.  Even with the fee for parking, it ends up cheaper, which is good.  Near the airport has been our go to as it's been the easiest to get in to the convention center from there.

We were high on the registration queue this year and even though a few things opened up later in the day and we snagged another one or two events, I, in particular, didn't get everything, sadly.  But after some time I've accepted it.  Frankly, I always tend to over book so maybe it's a blessing in disguise this year.  And I haven't had issue popping in to some things with generics.

It is a huge affair, but it's never really bothered me.  I only went for the first time 6 years ago, so I've only ever known it as big.  And we only go every other year.  It's sort of a special birthday trip for the husband too, since his has landed during the convention.  And maybe it's the type of work I do for a living.  I'm surrounded by environmental distractions constantly.  I also tend make sure to drag the husband out of the convention and set aside time to explore the city's culinary delights because said work compels me to.

Anyway, I've learned a certain balance I think.  So I've always enjoyed myself.  Did stop by Adepticon this year.  Only other game con I've been to.  After Gen Con I actually thought it was cute.  Haha.

I went once in 2005. It was nice but even with the comp'd attendance and hotel (I was running an event), it was wicked expensive. I can't imagine what it's like now.

Been packing and getting ready. Leaving very early Wednesday morning. Might hit the zoo if we get there early enough weather permiting.

Did a last minute check of hotels and got a good rate for Saturday night at one of the downtown hotels.  Only there for Sunday to gawk at the goodies ::D:

Hope everyone has fun!

• Like 1

Putting things in car and heading out in few hours. See everyone who's going there. I'll be painting in the Serpentine Lobby upstairs on Wednesday night around 9:30 if anyone cares to join.

Edit: make that 10:30. A Wednesday night event was later than expected.

Edited by EvilJames
  • Like 2

So, here we are with Day 2 dawning.  I tried my hand at a Reaper speed painting round yesterday, and found that I would be in the finals this year.  I may not be a great painter, but apparently mass wargaming trains you in the tricks for speed painting.  I’ll post a picture later.

The exhibit hall was packed and I am trying to avoid shopping too much.  As always, way too much to see.

Today’s goal: eat less...

• Like 3