Joe the Revelator

Kitbash Weapon-Swapping Fighter! 60113, 77382, 03447

Howdy Reaper! I haven't posted in a very, very long time, so I figured I'd get back in touch with my mini painting roots. Last night I finished my kitbash fighter. I wanted to try making a weaponmaster (great weapons) with swappable weapon parts. With magnets. The answer is always magnets.

With the exception of a few oversize weapons from old warhammer variants I had rattling around in my scraps bin, the Reaper minis I savaged for this project were: 77382: Vernone, Ivy Crown Knight, 03447: Weapons Pack 7, and 60113: Technic League Captain.

And yes. I made fun screaming sounds under my breath when I detached their heads with my wire cutters.

dbftr10.jpg.0ce7a64703377d09aaedc4e38b123ea5.jpg

Magnets were socketed with super-glue.

dbftr11.jpg.9d61a480428eac536c9e4ea7744e098f.jpg

Plumber's putty for the base, with flat metal inserts for the magnets. Although, on reflection, Greenstuff would have been less crumbly.

dbftr15.jpg.efab132531009853511c6312fef00cbe.jpg

My base coat was yellow (not show) so it would have a slight sepia bleed-through. I washed with a black mix, mostly water, so he would look grungy. Very grungy.

dbftr17.jpg.fa1ccb3ca4e72cf394cc7f624430fa38.jpg

And lastly, the weapons (which affix to the raw metal shards at the base) are differentiated by having brass parts. All the other weapons (static parts) are from the assortment pack.

dbftr18.jpg.5c32eb4aa0164a8ca396f78b00fd6bb0.jpgdbftr19.jpg.5633dd439aefbc10d595385dec120acc.jpg

dbftr20.jpg.988639744e6edf0e7d5d50f6e48d069b.jpg

It's all about the accessories, right?

dbftr22.jpg.661a560d7254206ef31f3746514f55ca.jpg

Anyway, thank you Reaper for being awesome and having so many great models, although I'm slightly sad I cut the head off a Bobby Jackson sculpture (that's why I bought 2!) And thanks to the painters here who showed me everything I know. I'm still growing.

Warm Regards,

Joe

• Like 12

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lazarp
      So this is the first time I tried painting freehand on the shield  This is the end result of the conversion: 

And for the conversion part, I didn't like neither this minis pose, nor its weapon choice (pickaxe really???), nor its commie looking (???) sigil on the shield. So I removed the weapon and sanded the shield. I also think that his pose looks a lot more natural as a spear throw than a pickaxe swing.. Also gave him some simple terrain and a quick paint  Thanks for looking!

• By lazarp
      This one was actually painted by my sister. I wanted to share it with you since this is her second mini ever and I hoped some feedback would be useful to her 

• By viking_hank
      WIP. Two things, first I couldn’t resist. Second I can’t believe I am the only one to do this. 

• By aku-chan
      "During the opening stages of the Great War, it was quickly discovered that the human mind was too fragile for soldiers to spend any time in areas that had been heavily corrupted by Void Space.
      One of the solutions to this problem was to lift the restrictions on deploying Automaton Troopers to the front-lines. Drawing power from naturally occurring energy fields and equipped with self repair and competent AI systems, they could theoretically operate indefinitely without contact with their human creators.
      However, despite being deployed in large numbers, in the end they did little to halt the advance of the Void.

Centuries later, many can still be found and most pose a threat to the humans they once served.
      This particular model, now known as a Flower Knight due to the flora it spontaneously generates around itself, is not openly hostile to anyone it comes across but will not tolerate any damage to the gardens they both create and guard."

Presenting the Flower Knight from Kingdom Death.

This is another one from the Cupboard of Unfinished ThingsTM that's been waiting for me to bring it back to the table for a final painting session or two. It's not a patch on the many, many other Flower Knights out there on the Inter-webs, but I'm really pleased with it.

As always, any comments or criticisms are warmly received.

• By Patrik Strom
      This is my version of Grond from Hasslefree Miniatures. I've had the figure for a while but never got around to him. I can't really tell why I picked him up now (might have been that I wanted something to try my Valejo steel color on), but after I started I had trouble putting him down. I'm really happy with how he turned out, and with very little resistance as well. I had trouble with the eyes. I would have preferred a "normal" straight ahead stare, but every time I filled the left eye it had him looking to his right. After three attempts with the same result I figured it was meant to be.

• Who's Online   25 Members, 1 Anonymous, 159 Guests (See full list)