72moonglum

Ral Partha Female warrior with Axe from Julie Guthrie

On 5/24/2018 at 8:08 PM, Boaz said:

Very old school ... looks like she could be half viking settler half native of newfoundland ... 

Yeah, her skin tone and hair color give a little bit of a native American flavor!

Edited by 72moonglum
  • Like 2

Awesome!

I love that face!

Also nice to see she is reasonably armored.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Othikent said:

Nice color work.

Thank you very much!

11 hours ago, CorallineAlgae said:

I like the way you painted her gloves. Looks like buckskin. 

Thanks, she had so many different leather pieces on her and I tried to at least start them with different colors. The gloves actually started as terra khaki

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Awesome!

I love that face!

Also nice to see she is reasonably armored.

Thanks Glitterwolf! For a small figure, she did have some nice, expressive and larger eyes with which to work.

Yeah, she has a sturdy shirt of mail to cover her well instead of a chain bikini!

• Like 2

Very nice work on her!

Out of curiosity, do you remove the integral bases from these old figures, or use putty to blend them into the bigger base you put them on?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Very nice work on her!

Out of curiosity, do you remove the integral bases from these old figures, or use putty to blend them into the bigger base you put them on?

Thanks much Chaoswolf!

To satisfy that curiosity:  Any figure that comes with an integral base, I leave it on the base, glue it onto usually a circular plastic base, then I fill the rest of it up with green stuff, let it dry at least three or four hours, then superglue corn meal in some spots to represent dirt and some grass.

I'm a really lazy painter, so to chop off a base and do crazy things with it would essentially be a lot of work. Maybe with Bones figures it'd be easy, but with metal I've found a much quicker and efficient route.  I used to actually never use bases before I found the Reaper forum. If you look at my older figures (you can hunt them down in my little link on my signature) I used to just glue them on to a balsa wood base and that was it. I'd paint the balsa wood either brown or black and I was done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      Hello again!

here are the other two that I just finished, two elven fighters that Ran Partha did a while back.  They had a couple neat ideas, one was to have a male and female version of a race and class, and these two are the miniatures that are for the Male and Female Elven Fighters.  Not sure who the sculptor is on these, should probably find out.  

I did them both with more or less identical color schemes, partly in the thought that it's the same adventurer just in a different male or female version and then also because it made my life easier with one color scheme instead of two.

and here they are together:

Anyhows, hope you enjoy!

Mark
    • By Gareth_Hriedmar
      This is one of the giants that I've painted that I'm the most proud of!

• By Maledrakh
      I admit to getting a bit more than just the core set in the Bones 4 kickstarter....but I have decided to paint the entire core set before tackling any of the expansion sets. However, there are also a bunch of add-ons to do. Most of those are rather large... but we start with some mid-sized ones:

These are the "Skeletal Monsters" add on subset. A Chimera, an Owlbear and a Manticore, plus a heap of monster bones / spawn pile scatter terrain piece. Also there is a sprue of different heads to you can convert to other monster skeletons if you like.
      I am keeping the sprue of monster skulls in the bitsbox for now.
      The wings are in a much more rigid (and presumably more brittle) material than the bodies that seem to be in the more rigid bones 3 material.

Chimera:

I made a 3D printed 70x50mm oval base for this one. These were hollowed out from the top so the miniatures own base fit inside, with some putty to fill them out.

Owlbear:

I made a 50x30mm base for this one.

Manticore:

This one has a 60x35 base.

The bone pile scatter terrain bit.

I have a bone to pick with you guys...

How I painted these:
      Black undercoat with white ink zenithal sprayed on. After this was thoroughly dried out, I painted Citadel Skeleton Horde contrast (yes! Contrast paint! It works like a thicker ink or stain!) all over.
      When this was thouroughly dry, I drybrushed in varying degree with several bone-type colours, both yellowish and whiteish ending with Reaper Splintered Bone at the very tops.
      Details such as horns, beak, teeth, stingers and claws in various black and grey colours I mixed on my pallette.
      Base in Vallejo Earth followed by some tufts and my autumnal flock mix, finised with black rims. All of them done from basecoat in an evening including drying times.

Skeletal Monsters
      add-on subset from the Bones 4 kickstarter, 2017
      Reaper Miniatures
      Sculpted by Julie Guthrie
      Made in Bonesium PVC
      should be available from reapermini.com some time in the future

• By Inarah
      Bones 4 core set #20.  Could not find a release # for him yet.  I took this guy and a few of his pals to Reapercon to work on in my spare time (ha!) and got him base coated using some of the new Pathfnder paint set.  I couldn't help but notice the chickens and the look of terror on his face, thus the name.   Finished him with a basic drybrush and wash for table top play. 

• Who's Online   14 Members, 0 Anonymous, 250 Guests (See full list)