Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Geoff Davis
In an unusual turn of events, I ended up painting the same miniature three times this week. First one was for a customer who wanted the bard from Dark Sword Miniatures but without the pipe in his hand. So it was replaced with a glowing musical note. Red armour, blue clothes, yellow cloak. While I was working on it, a different customer wanted the same bard but just a quick paint job for a sidekick NPC in his D&D game. Of course, no pipe for the second bard either. Brown armour, green cloak. I think I spent more time on the base than painting him. While I was working on the second one, the first customer decided he didn't like the colour scheme and could I change a couple of things. No problem, I'm happy to do it. But there is OSL and all kinds of other stuff, so it was actually much easier just to start again from scratch. So I painted him a third time. Red cloak, grey clothes.
By Geoff Davis
Hi everyone, sorry I haven't posted in a while. I mostly post on the Reaper Facebook Page and Twitter now. I still check out everything on the "Show off" every day, though!
Here is my most recent tartan project. This is Aeslin sculpted by Sandra Garrity. My customer is a fan of the show (and books) Outlander and this figure was chose specifically for it's potential for painting a tartan. The tartan that was picked is the Wilson Ancient Hunting Tartan. It has these very thin quadruple orange lines that give it a very interesting blue/green/orange colour shift look. I was only able to fit in three of the thin lines, but it was enough to give the cool effect.
Here is my journey making my first water base. I'm not quite done yet, as I still have some work to do on the Satyr, but I'm so close to finishing. This was a huge experiment for me, but I'm planning to do it again. I'd like to enter a water piece into ReaperCon this year, and I think this was good progress on the way to doing just that.
I would love your feedback if you have any.
Photo 1 - I started with some foam board (first time using that too!!) and glued it together. I used regular old Elmer's glue for this.
Photo 2 - I started carving out the foam board and playing with where I wanted the main rock to be.
Photo 3 - I used some Vallejo Plastic Putty to smooth out the sides of the base. Neat stuff. Was recommended on another forum.
Photo 4 - I started to use some Milliput to seal in the foam in preparation for adding "water"
Photo 5 - I used Milliput and some cork to make "rocks"
Photo 6 - I decided I didn't really like the cork rocks at all and sculpted them to look like slate instead. I also started sculpting some river stones for the basin.
Photo 7 - More river stones, and placed the satyr to make sure it would work.
Photo 8 - Priming and zenithal light.
Photo 9 - Finally adding some color.
Photo 10 - Flocking and some plants added. I made the vine out of wire and paper. The "fern" was from a laser cut set of leaves I had. I'm not really happy with the fern looking thing. I've crushed it more than once now while painting, but it will have to do for now. Would love some feedback if you have any.
Photo 11 - I taped it and held my breath and add two part clear epoxy. IT LEAKED EVERYWHERE! It was terrible. I added more tape and stemmed the flow, but it was pretty bad. First time for water... I expected this to happen deep down inside lol.
Photos 12, 13, and 14 - I started adding scenic fibres to simulate the waterfall. I also used some water effects called Making Waves to "glue" it in place.
Photo 15 - I added another round of two part clear epoxy to make the water deeper and to fix some of the mistakes I made with the water effects and fibres.
Photo 16 - I used some micro sanders to bring the front of the water to a shine. I also added some more water effect to show some flow in the water. I also started painting the Satyr and playing with colors.
Photo 17 - I used some pure white paint to show water activity a bit more. I also did more work on the Satyr and glued him in place. I didn't pin him, and probably should have, but he's holding so far.
By Rob Dean
I have finally been feeling inspired this weekend, although, as usual, my Muse has her own way of doing things.
Back in September I posted a thread with some pictures of the first two HeroForge miniatures I had ordered and painted.
A couple of days ago, I got a Cigar Box Battles mat for urban terrain, which will be where whatever this project turns out to be takes place.
So, today I sat down and worked on some of the figures that have been on my desk for it:
The new figures finished today are in the front row. From left to right, Violet is a HeroForge figure; Karl is a Reaper 50211, and Cynthia and Kyle are from the Reaper 50042 Modern Children set. The skateboarder is on the table...
I'm still not sure whether this is going to be a skirmish game of some sort, or a roleplaying game, but there are at least some characters to get started.
Got Sophie this weekend and got a good start. I’ve been painting large minis lately so I needed a break. This is obviously heavily inspired by Wren’s, (Rhonda Bender) official painting but sort of flipping the hues of the dress and wings.
Just started playing with the designs on the brestplate segments. I have already made one attempt on the screen left that I rejected and have started to paint out. I may just paint them out altogether if I can't pull it off.
Who's Online 18 Members, 2 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)