Morihalda

Getting to Know You, June 2018

June 29th, obviously you have never seen me paint.

June 30th, if I posted pictures I would be banned from the forums, plus the individuals who do have pictures are hold them for blackmail porpoise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, TGP said:

June 29: What is the most disastrous thing you've tried when painting miniatures?

And, June 30: Do you have pictures?

Hmm, for miniatures, the worst is almost certainly the first mini I painted, which was a lead mini without primer painted with a mix of Humbrol and the gloss Testors paints in the square bottles with one of those horrible Testors brushes. I think I still have the mini around, but I worked it a bit with better paint many years later and I'm not at home for photos (sorry).

It was pretty much every bit as bad as you might assume.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, malefactus said:

You have my sympathy over the loss of your photos. Your pieces are just lovely. No photo evidence is a loss for us all.

Thanks, but it was mostly my early painting efforts (before I discovered you were meant to thin paint) that were deleted, so not a great tragedy.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, TGP said:

June 29: What is the most disastrous thing you've tried when painting miniatures?

28th Bonus Question: Yes, big fan of the movie. Of course it helps that it was filmed right next to my hometown.

29th: Painting them.

30th: Too many. :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, TGP said:

I can only think of one thing that truly rates the disaster level, and that was spray-sealing a bunch of bones before I knew better.

Sure, they're in a bunch of my old show-off pics from when I first joined the forum.  They just look like normal minis though.  "Will turn tacky in three months" isn't exactly something a camera captures well.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, TGP said:

I think the worst is a figure I was doing for an art show. It was on of darksword's DiTerlizzi pieces and everything was going right. I nailed the feel of her, the colors were just right, her face came out great, then I went to attach her arm. I dropped suoer glue all over like half the figure. That was the only time I have felt like throwing a mini across the room. I did put her in a cup, put the cup away and move on. That was 2 years ago and I'm just getting to the point where I feel I can even dunk her in simple green and start over. No, I don't have pictures. I may take one for color reference right before I strip her. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, TGP said:

Washes when I first learned that concept.

17 hours ago, TGP said:

Nope, no  evidence.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, TGP said:

Eyes.

Yes, but I don't know where they are. It was a bombshell mini, the results were...interesting. I was able to fix it and she ended up decent. STILL NOT BASED :D

• Like 5

On 6/29/2018 at 2:57 AM, TGP said:

Here we go. I mean, she doesn't look too awful. But that cloak has a bazillion layers of paint on it. Eventually I just gave up.

IMG_1694.thumb.JPG.ceb8a0f71175ada3aaa59efe4ff2bb56.JPG

IMG_1695.thumb.JPG.9f831085c08d32ddcc9faf6fbe31d8c9.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Thanks for the pic Red. I believe you were the only one to post one. 

Haha! That means I win! :victory dance:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 6/29/2018 at 5:57 AM, TGP said:

I've been wracking my brain, trying to remember what the worst, most awful, truly disastrous thing I've ever painted, and coming up with mostly... eh. I've had some that were not good, kinda ugly, but I can't really think of any that were disasters... unless I expand out beyond minis to include models. I was painting up and assembling a model of the Starship Enterprise NCC-1701-D and my plastic glue... kind of went everywhere. And as it's the type of glue designed to melt plastic to form the bond, it did what it was designed to do. When I tried to scrape it off, I ended up removing lots of texture along the way. It was bad. No pictures though, since this was way back before digital cameras made it easy to document everything, and my parents weren't interested in recording all my various crafty activities. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Crowley said:

...When I tried to scrape it off, I ended up removing lots of texture along the way. It was bad...

Random

Ensign: There’s Klingons on the starboard bow!

Kirk: Someone scrape them off!!

• Haha 6

On 6/28/2018 at 7:18 PM, TGP said:

June 28 Implied Bonus Question: If you have seen, did you enjoy, Groundhog Day the movie (with Bill Murray)?

It was a work of storytelling genius. I laughed, I cried, it was better than cats.

• Like 2