Sign in to follow this  
Morihalda

Getting to Know You, June 2018

13 hours ago, Morihalda said:

June 15: Have there been any board games or video games that you've discovered lately?

I rediscovered Path of Exile. It has been...not good for productivity. I really like the new league and my character (witch, again) has taken off big time. She deals out so much damage! PoE is a free-to-play* rogue-like similar to Diablo. 

*no, really free. And not pay-to-win either. They will happily take your money, but they don't sell things that make a difference in gameplay. Just how things look and how much stuff you can packrat away.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Morihalda said:

June 15: Have there been any board games or video games that you've discovered lately?

Thanks to the Switch being popular, some "older" games are getting released on it.  Recently I got the 2-pack of Resident Evil: Revelations 1&2.  They were originally released as episodic content and then collected into full games.  The Resident Evil series has ranged from survival horror to action horror.  The first Revelations game is solidly an action game with horror elements.  Along with the decent story mode it also has a loot fest mode where you run through levels, gain XP, and then level up/purchase better gear.  It might be a decent time killer if you were someone who didn't have many options to take up your free time.  I have too many things vying for my time so I moved on to the second game, which I am currently playing.  It features two campaigns in story mode.  Claire's started out as somewhat survival horror but has turned pretty actiony, while Barry's campaign looks to be straight up action.  Given I'm still working through the story, no final verdict on that.

• Like 5

June 16 and 17: Who is your favorite fantasy/Sci-fi ruler?

Bonus: What kind of ruler would you be? What would your domain be like?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

Hmm... My favourite has to be Terry Prachetts Patriach, almost wish that we had someone as... efficient as world ruler at present.

I would chose to be like Asimovs' "The Mule"; bland, unassuming and nearly invisible, but totally in control.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I must go with my namesake's choice: Garion of Riva and his queen Ce'Nedra. They're kind and fair and bring prosperity. They're forgiving to former opponents and form new alliances. 

Me? Uhh... erm.... 

Minions can appease me with appropriate shiny rock specimens. ::P:

Edited by Cyradis
Grr double
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Roger Ramius Sergei Alexander Chiang MacClintock.

He's the protagonist of the March Upcountry series, which is a four-volume bildungsroman by David Weber and John Ringo.

The progression from PITA younger son to adult and Regent and heir apparent is very well handled, the plot is strong and compelling, and the cast works well to tell the story. Highly recommended.

As for me, I'd probably be an oh-so-benevolent dictator. In my own mind, anyway. :rolleyes:

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Atoning Unifex from Julian May's Galactic Milieu trilogy.

As for me, I'd like to think I'd be a wise ruler but I'd probably make a huge mess of things. :unsure:

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Favorite? Hmm, I'm coming up blank as most fictional rulers are either the bad guys, good guys who haven't had time to make a difference, or just unmentioned or inconsequential.

I'd be a visionary, long term investments, well funded science and culture, free healthcare and education, openness to all cultures without going to SJW extremes (moderation is key), no standing army as I play nice with neighbors and don't make enemies.

Obviously I'll be the (tragic) victim of a coup within a week.

My ultimate goal is to get a nice monument and a sandwich named after me.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

On 6/15/2018 at 4:37 AM, Morihalda said:

I've been playing a lot of Bloodbowl 2 on the PC the last week or so. I've known about the games for years but bought it on a steam sale. Fairly faithful recreation of the board game which I have a 2nd ed copy of.

12 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Not sure I have a favourite ruler. Maybe Conan but that's just because I like Conan and not because he's a great ruler.

What kind of a ruler would I be? Trying to be benevolent but most likely incompetent because I hate political games. My domain would most likely be wracked by civil war as I got sick of sycophants, back stabbers and all others wanting power. As they tried to take advantage of my generally tolerant nature I would eventually lose my patience and become a heavy fisted tyrant. Can't see me being worse than some current world leaders if I had any support from allies.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Conan. The original Howard version. 

As to my own rule... I would probably be hated by a great many. (now how do I go into detail without being being sent to Beekeepers....)

Throughout history one can find countess examples of the noble class being the source of a great many problems. The first generation tends to get things done, but from there the corruption sets in and before long they're exploiting the lower classes for all they can get while doing everything they can to limit the power of whatever king or czar is above them. We have different titles for them now, but the same applies.

The first (and maybe last if I can't dodge the assassination attempts) thing would be to break their power. Peaceably if possible...

From there my challenge would be how to align aspects of human nature, (short term profit seeking, need to organize status heirarchies, etc) with a structure that will allow a functioning society that won't completely regress once I'm dead. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I'm quite the fan of The Emperor. 

As to my own rulership, Benevolent Overlord giving way to a proper Democracy at the end of my reign (lifetime or my retirement, whichever comes first).  I'd be setting up the nation to be independent, follow laws, and avoid the pitfalls of greed if possible. 

I think Lord of the Dish Pit and myself are thinking on the same line. 

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Mufassa! Just say his name, Mufassa!

I'd probably be the insane ruler that the people love (social programs, yo), but the aristocracy hates. Because I'd be all "off with their heads" on those political elf holes! 

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

On 6/16/2018 at 7:52 AM, Morihalda said:

Kaleeshi.

My domain?

Lots of nature, lots of animals.

A select few humans who are enlightened enough to both appreciate and preserve their surroundings.

This domain is being protected by the largest wall ever and some automatons who will keep unwanted visitors out..

• Like 7

On 6/16/2018 at 12:52 AM, Morihalda said:

Lord Havelock Vetinari (Fantasy)

Captain Colin MacIntyre (Science Fiction)

Bonus: What kind of ruler would you be?

The very worst sort. Hated, Feared, Dreaded and Loathed. The sort with OPINIONS :ph34r:

What would your domain be like?

It would be controlled by the Stainless Steel Gauntlets of my Inquisitorial Army. 

Commanded by my Inquisitors, they would march all over the landscape, rounding up miscreants and asking questions

For instance the executives of Walgreens, CVS, Costco, and any other big pharmacy chains would find themselves hanging by their heels (so that plenty of blood would be available for their brains) and being relentlessly questioned. Some Sample questions:

Why are the names of the medicines on your pill bottles printed in such small lettering?

Are you aware that most meds are consumed by people over the age of 45?

Do you know what presbyopia is? Did you know that many people over the age of 40 tend to have presbyopia?

Who first decided  it was a good idea to have elderly people trying to read tiny lettering on medicine bottles?

How many of you thought this was a good idea?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There would be so many, many questions. :devil:

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

On 6/15/2018 at 6:37 AM, Morihalda said:

Mission: Red Planet, just last Sunday.  Kind of a victory-point, worker placement game with a cool steampunk feel.  Some interesting mechanic mixes.  The board could stand to be a little bigger as once you have a bunch of the meeples on it, it's hard to read the names of Mars' sectors, but that would be my only complaint. 

Next up, maybe today if all the social stuff allows, Mice and Mystics which I've been meaning to try with my kids for a while now. 

On 6/16/2018 at 1:52 AM, Morihalda said:

Empress Laseen from Steven Erikson's Malazan series. 

As to what kind of ruler would I be...  Without getting too in depth, somewhere along the lines of Laseen, i.e. not a very nice person to people who don't tow the party line, but otherwise magnanimous.    

• Like 7