Sign in to follow this  
Morihalda

Getting to Know You, June 2018

7 hours ago, Morihalda said:

June 19: What's something you wish existed? Does it already exist in a book/show/game?

Thanks, Glitterwolf!

@Glitterwolf already took my first answer, but as others have said there are plenty of options, so the first one that comes to mind would also be from Star Trek and it would be the Transporter. Not having to actually drive to the beach, in-laws, work, etc., would be a huge plus.

The other option would be a 72 hour day each day while still only having to work roughly 8 hours a day. That would almost give me enough time to engage in all the recreational activities that I want to.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Cyradis said:

To get to a place like Thermopolis, Wyoming. 

For a warm bath? That'll be in short supply during the apocalypse!

8 hours ago, Morihalda said:

June 19: What's something you wish existed? Does it already exist in a book/show/game?

Thanks, Glitterwolf!

An inexpensive, perpetual energy source. Like, the sun would be great, if it didn't vary greatly depending on your locale. And wind would be good, if it wasn't unreliable. 

So, that thingy iron man has in his chest.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Glitterwolf!

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

think when having to choose just one thing I will opt for a replicator ( Star Treks TNG style).

BACON HOT!

Or similar commands...

Everything available to everyone without having to fight over it/ do groceries/make it yourself.

Think of all the spare time we can use to paint minis.

^^ totally this. along with a safe, plentiful, and non polluting energy source to power it. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Glitterwolf!

A small electronic device that all politicians, lawyers, public figures, news casters & others of their ilk must wear.

The device picks up spoken falsehoods, AND loudly transmits a less polite version of  BOVINE EXCREMENT!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, malefactus said:

A small electronic device that all politicians, lawyers, public figures, news casters & others of their ilk must wear.

The device picks up spoken falsehoods, AND loudly transmits a less polite version of  BOVINE EXCREMENT!

Udderly Brilliant!

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Hmmm, all sorts of good answers could come from this but instead I'm going to go the slightly selfish route... 

An operating system that works as well as how all of the Linux zealots claim it does, but with the simplicity of use that iOS has.  Sure, I absolutely love Android (and Windows) but iOS is a good example of something that does a task, and does it well, and you can give to a technologically illerate friend or family member and they understand it in tshirt seconds.  Uhm, thirty seconds, had to leave the autocorrupt in there. 

While it met none of the requirements you laid out, I firmly believe that Solaris 2.6 (aka SunOS 5.6) was the greatest operating system ever sold.

I think I'm misting up just remembering those halcyon days... *sniff*

I mean, sure it was nearly useless for consumer use, but it was bullet proof, and a developers dream for the day. :upside:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks, Glitterwolf!

World peace, free of hate and discrimination with lots of diversity! Basically, like the Star Trek Federation of Planets ideology (the reality depends on the episode).

Alternatively, true love! She exists within the confines of my mind. Working in a male dominated industry, living in the middle of nowhere, and being a geek introvert, makes relationships... nearly non-existent.

Bonus wish: A salty, crunchy, greasy, tasty snack that's actually healthy to eat in large quantities! I'll call it Cranky Crunch! Also comes in chocolate dipped flavor.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

World peace, free of hate and discrimination with lots of diversity! Basically, like the Star Trek Federation of Planets ideology (the reality depends on the episode).

Alternatively, true love! She exists within the confines of my mind. Working in a male dominated industry, living in the middle of nowhere, and being a geek introvert, makes relationships... nearly non-existent.

Bonus wish: A salty, crunchy, greasy, tasty snack that's actually healthy to eat in large quantities! I'll call it Cranky Crunch! Also comes in chocolate dipped flavor.

I have always said that the first person who invents carrots that taste like hamburgers will be a very rich person!

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Thanks, Glitterwolf!

The Star Trek replicator. Want something, anything, go over to the wall and in a few seconds you have it.

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Three extra zeros at the end of my bank account.

Considering there's a negative at the start of my account this scares me. I'm in deep enough already without more zeroes.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Okay, human team mode... 

Honestly, I wouldn't be wanting a gun during the zombie apocalypse for being in a city area. I'd want to be in a very remote area, away from the outbreak. A gun is more reliable than a bow for big game for hunting food, and the sound would be unlikely to attract more zombies. Downside is that ammo is not reusable. I'd hope that the hunter on my team is good with a bow for some food hunting. 

Oh yeah - I want a pilot who is current (I am not current, nor have I practiced landings off of runways). Why? To get to a place like Thermopolis, Wyoming. 

Very true.  I actually looked into Crossbows when Walking Dead came out.  That was a quick "Nope"!  Holy cow there are some expensive options out there.  (Since that time, I've seen some more realistic pricing).  A longbow is good, but you have to be very good at stalking your prey, though you've probably got a better bet of reusing your ammo.  A compound bow improves on this as long as you don't run into problems with the arms, the cable or the string (all difficult to replace in an apocalypse).  A crossbow is flatter trajectory and more powerful.  In fact, my father's great-uncle was a wood carver, but in WWII he actually made crossbows that he and a group of less than ten took deep into the enemy lines and took out snipers and other difficult to reach troops as our troops came in.

Also, I forgot one of my must-carry weapons.  Ice adze!  I'm sure it won't work nearly as well as Lara's, but it is such a cool tool for interesting purposes (and I know, there won't be zip lines everywhere even if I could hang on that long).

Thanks, Glitterwolf!

I was going to say the ability to cast spells.  But then, that creates additional political, financial and social stress in the world... and ain't nobody got time for that...

And probably anything I could think  of would come from a book.

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Many possibilites varying from World Peace to the recipe of the perfect muffin.

I think when having to choose just one thing I will opt for a replicator ( Star Treks TNG style).

BACON HOT!

Or similar commands...

Everything available to everyone without having to fight over it/ do groceries/make it yourself.

Think of all the spare time we can use to paint minis.

Hmm... a replicator... yeah... definitely worth having something like that.

Though, if you can do it for food... could it produce minis on demand?!?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Morihalda said:

A way to live comfortably without the stress of working and yet with enough money to indulge in personal hobbies.

If that's not an option, faster-than-light travel and anti-agathics would be nice.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, klarg1 said:

While it met none of the requirements you laid out, I firmly believe that Solaris 2.6 (aka SunOS 5.6) was the greatest operating system ever sold.

I think I'm misting up just remembering those halcyon days... *sniff*

Reveal hidden contents

I mean, sure it was nearly useless for consumer use, but it was bullet proof, and a developers dream for the day. :upside:

True, but I can't play Elite:Dangetous on it.... :p

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Loim said:

Invisible Sandwich

:huh: So as to be safe from your wretched :rock: co-workers? Who would otherwise :ph34r: steal your sandwich...??

• Like 2
  • Haha 3