Sign in to follow this  
Morihalda

Getting to Know You, June 2018

7 hours ago, Morihalda said:

June 20: Do you say tomato or tomato? Are there any similar pronunciations that completely vex you, like when someone says eligible instead of illegible?

Thanks, Pezler!

I mispronounce things all the time, so I wouldn't say other people's unique pronunciations vex me.  As long as nobody's an a-hole when you're trying to understand each other, everything's fine.  Most of the time, mispronunciation can be humorous or adorable. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

June 20: Do you say tomato or tomato? Are there any similar pronunciations that completely vex you, like when someone says eligible instead of illegible?

Thanks, Pezler!

For me it's always been "toe may toe", but I don't really care which way it's pronounced so long as people can understand.   What throws me for a loop sometimes is how those in the UK will pronounce some things rather differently, like the letter H (hayych) but we have much weirder things here in Canada, like newfies that will say "Hi b'y!" which as you might guess, yup, sounds EXACTLY like "Hi Bye!".  That poor friend of mine, until I got used to the term being used, she had several calls hung up after just five seconds of talking... 

The only one I do care about is pecans.  "Pee-can" versus "puh-kahn", with the second one being "correct" simply because that was the only way my aunt (who's Texan) would let me have a slice of her pecan pie. 

... Yes, the same pecan pie that almost caused a lockdown at a US Air force base because gate security couldn't understand why someone would ask for a Canadian BY FULL NAME AND RANK and all she had was smiles and two pecan pies, which is apparently suspicious.  Then again, that's the same base where the MP's would seriously consider arresting a Canadian for enjoying the outdoor pool in "frigid" conditions (apparently 15C is "freezing cold" to Texans).  Thankfully dad fixed the problem in about thirty seconds, and was kind enough to offer a slice of said pie to the gate guard for his diligence, even if it was slightly overzealous. ^_^

The week after my aunt literally said (to the same guard) while bringing pie over to dad again "it's just a pie, not a bomb" which got the senior guard behind him to break out in laughter... 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Thanks, Pezler!

toe may toe

I have s batch of words that my brain misinterprets on the way to my mouth, because a lot of my vocabulary came from reading as a child (feed your kids as many books as you can!). Last on I remember struggling with, even though I know the correct pronunciation was 'detritus' because my 8 yr old brain read it as 'detrius'.

We've had an influx of immigrants, mostly from NYC, over the last 20 years, it's fun to watch them try to pronounce some of the city names (often named by natives) in upstate. 

• Like 7

Thanks, Pezler!

As a native French speaking Canadian, though fully bilingual, *all* of my pronunciations are slightly off. Though curiously, it grants me a larger known vocabulary to the English language because of the shared common origin of many words.

Also worth mentioning that even in French-Canada, there are tons regional dialects with very different pronunciations. Some sound very anglicized, some overly formal (lots of rolling of the "R"s), and some just lazy (soft "ch" sounds like "h").

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Pezler!

There's way too much peeving about pronunciation. Many such complaints are used as ad hominem attacks (often with an odor of lightly veiled bigotry) on people the complainer dislikes. And most of the rest amount to a lack of understanding that there are different pronunciations in different dialects.

Though there's a certain joy in watching (for instance) Brits complain about "creeping Americanisms" when many of those so-called Americanisms are either originally British or not from the US and not typical here.

I highly recommend Lynne Murphy's Separated by a Common Language blog and her recent book, The Prodigal Tongue.

That said, "Drow" rhymes with "bow". Always. :B):

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Pezler!

Personally, I say tomato. You have no idea how difficult it is not to correct someone when they mispronounce other things.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Pezler!

I say toe-mart-toe.

I'm terrible at pronouncing things myself (I always get caught out by words with silent letters, took me years to discover there's no P in corp for example), so I'm the last person to criticise how others speak.

• Like 7

English is a living language.  If you speak it, it is the correct pronunciation (or spelling) as long as you are understood.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Pezler!

I refer to them as poison love apples. 

Most of the time I don't mind odd pronunciations, my own can get rather creative at times. That said there was one time while I was in Austin that I did get rather heated over this.

I had heard about a job opening on a road that I was told was "Maynor". 

I could not find it on my map, so I bought another more detailed map. It wasn't there either. 

So I went to the person who had told me of it and asked where the elf this road was.

He pointed to "Manor Road."

"Why the elf do you add an "Ay" to a word that doesn't have an "i" or a "y"?! Why do you do that?!"

"That's what it's called ya damn yankee!"

"Look I can understand how Guadalupe becomes Guada-loop. I can understand cutting off a syllable, but this is not Wheel of Fortune and you cannot just buy an elfing vowel and shove it in there! And I am not a yankee, I am a flatlander! Also while we're at it, just because you throw a few dams down on a river does not make it a series of elfing lakes!"

"How much coffee did ya drink? Y'all seem kinda twitchy."

"Not enough!"

• Haha 8

On 6/3/2018 at 10:24 PM, Morihalda said:

June 4: Do you/can you display your geekiness at work? What do you have? Posters, Han Solo bobble head, figures that you have painted, etc?

Thanks, Chaoswolf!

At my old job, I had my Soundwave MP3 player and my Ravage USB Drive chilling on my lab bench. My current job is temporary and involves bringing several people into my lab every day, so I try to be a little more neutral. It does have a giant stuffed monkey in traditional Chinese dress that some Hyundai execs brought when they meet with our execs.

• Like 6

On 6/4/2018 at 11:41 PM, Morihalda said:

June 5: What's your favorite season? What do you like about it?

Camping Season. I like camping.

• Like 5

Took awhile to think of something:

On 6/18/2018 at 10:55 PM, Morihalda said:

June 19: What's something you wish existed? Does it already exist in a book/show/game?

a) Bigfoot and/or Yetis

b) I believe they are represented in fiction. 

I think it would be rather awesome to find, discover, and confirm a new, large scale species like a North American Yeti. 

13 hours ago, Morihalda said:

June 20: Do you say tomato or tomāto? Are there any similar pronunciations that completely vex you, like when someone says eligible instead of illegible?

I usually go with ”Toe-May-Toe”, therefore a.

I think there are a few, whether they vex me depends on how foul my mood is or how feisty I am feeling. 

***thinks; faint smell of woodsmoke***

I believe saying “I-Dee-Ur” is a bad idea. 

Confusing eligible and illegible can change the meaning enough to render a sentence unintelligible.

There is a spot in a Harry Potter book where the text reads “swill” but it likely should read “swirl”. 

• Like 5

On 6/6/2018 at 2:41 AM, Morihalda said:

June 6: If you were in charge of your favorite movie/tv franchise, what would do with it next?

Thanks, Crowley!

I would laucnh Michael Bay into the sun. Tell him it'd be one heck of an explosion. Then I'd start the Transformers franchise over with more of a cold war spy games feel to it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TGP said:

Confusing eligible and illegible can change the meaning enough to render a sentence unintelligible.

There is a spot in a Harry Potter book where the text reads “swill” but it likely should read “swirl”. 

After thinking on this, I'm too self conscious of my own pronunciation to judge how I form the vowel sounds for "eligible" and "illegible", but I definitely emphasize the first syllable for the former, and the second syllable for the latter. I hadn't thought about it before, but it makes the two sound quite distinct, correct or not.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2018 at 3:17 AM, Morihalda said:

June 7: Will you cross anything off your bucket list this year?

I already crossed off Help Run a Tournament in Ruantallan. I am still hoping to cross off either Quit a Job for a Better One or Reject a Job Offer For a Better One. Travel to Australia had to be pushed back due to insufficient funds.

On 6/8/2018 at 12:56 AM, Morihalda said:

June 8: Are you in any clubs or organizations? Have you started any?

I am currently a Kingdom-Level Deputy Greater Officer in the SCA.

I am a member of the Board of Directors of the WPI Glee Club Associates.

I will have been a member of the WPI Science Fiction Society for 20 years this August.

I signed the petition to found CLICK (Campus Lifestyles Involving Consensual Kink), WPI's sex-positive BDSM/Polyamory Discussion Club.

Edited by etherial
  • Like 4