Getting to Know You, June 2018

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, TGP said:

June 27: What is a technique would you like to teach to other people?

Troubleshooting.

I run into too many technical people who can't figure out how to solve their own problems, so it falls on me to do it.  I have no idea why this is so hard but it apparently is.

Sample conversation: "x is broken and I have no idea."  "Okay.  When did x last work?"  "Yesterday."  "What's changed since yesterday?"  "Nothing."  "Okay, what do the logs tell you?"  "There's this error message about failure to connect to the server.  Is that important?"  "It might be.  When did it start?"  "It started at y o'clock, which is when z team was updating the server.  Do you think that's important?"  "Yes..."

And some people just can't be taught to look at the error logs for whatever reason.

I think I need a softer desk.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

I tried to get my bosses to change my title to Troubleshooter.  I was in computer support also.  It was a mistake to have the cartoon up at my desk that showed a desk with the Troubleshooter name plate.  Behind the desk was a man with a gun.  Before the desk was a man on the floor.  The caption was "Sorry, that was my job".  Not PC in this age, but sometimes....

• Like 7
10 hours ago, TGP said:

Manners and how to talk to people and resolve issues without making them want to kill you. Seriously most things in life can be dealt with. You don't need to be a total @hole whenever you're not happy with something.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Today’s question was suggested by Inarah. 

11 hours ago, TGP said:

June 27: What is a technique**  would you like to teach to other people?

I would like to teach people how to use a twinned fulcrum. It is a long lost art. Lost about 5000 years.

Edited by TGP
**my guess is she was thinking hobby stuff but as usual the populace has taken the concept and run amok with it.
  • Like 7
10 hours ago, redambrosia said:
14 hours ago, TGP said:

The fine art of rational thinking, divorced (as possible) from your emotions.

This.

SO MUCH this.

• Like 8

Today’s question was suggested by Darkmeer. It involves what might be the oldest tool. 

Edited by TGP
Thanks for the assist Pezler.
  • Like 6
Just now, TGP said:

June 27: How many hammers do you own?

A bag full!

A claw hammer, 2 ball-peen hammers (1 wooden shaft, one stainless steel), a welders hammer, a tack hammer, 2 sledge-hammers (different shaft lengths and weights)

Do mallets count? Then add to that a coal mallet and a soft-headed mallet with a variety of interchangeable faces.

Tool stockists are nearly as much fun to go into as model shops! 

• Like 5
15 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

I tried to get my bosses to change my title to Troubleshooter.  I was in computer support also.  It was a mistake to have the cartoon up at my desk that showed a desk with the Troubleshooter name plate.  Behind the desk was a man with a gun.  Before the desk was a man on the floor.  The caption was "Sorry, that was my job".  Not PC in this age, but sometimes....

If you do get to be Troubleshooter you should get a nerf gun to go with it...

23 minutes ago, TGP said:

Let's see... I have two that are about a foot long. I've got a ball peen hammer. A little hammer and a baby hammer. And a rubber mallet. So, six.

• Like 6
26 minutes ago, TGP said:

When all of your problems are nails, everything's a hammer. Some of these hammers work better than others.

For anyone interested, Tipler Physics (one of the standard college freshman physics texts for scientists and engineers) isn't an ideally designed hammer in spite of its impressive mass.

• Haha 6

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By TGP
      The rules: as they were last month (in addition to all regular forum rules) except where I sneakily changed them:

1. Every day, or so (unless I am out or ill or something) I will post a question. †
      1.5. Should I be unable to post a question for the day, a crack team of deputy quisitors, former quisitors, and random forum members are all chomping at the bit to step in and post one... ††
      2. In theory there is a 24 hour span to answer that question before the next question is posted.
      2.5. (Rule 2 is the most frequently ignored rule.)
      3. Questions are going to be posted sometime before 1 AM Reaper time (US Central).
      4. Everyone is encouraged to suggest future questions to be posted via PM to Talespinner or Morihalda… 
      5. You do not have to answer every question to play...
      6. If a question is TMI or N/A simply wait for the next question.. ..or post that you decline to answer (clues regarding why can be fun...unless TMI).
      7. Weekend questions may take the form of two or three day quests, starting on Friday or Saturday.
      8. Pix always welcome.

The first question will need to be posted after a brief (10 minute) pause to foil the merging of posts.
      The footnotes, because I can't resist doing †††footnotes:

† I will aim for 0600 Reaper/Nottingham time.
      ††  If subs and backstops could wait until 11AM in Reaper/Denton's timezone to see if I remember.
      ††† …because I re-remembered how to do the dagger ( † ) symbol.
    • By Morihalda
      The rules as they currently stand (in addition to all regular forum rules):

1. Every day, or so (unless I am out or ill or some thing) I will post a question.
      1.5. Should I be unable to post a question for the day (or send a recently asked one!) a crack team of deputy quisitors, former quisitors, and random forum members are all chomping at the bit to step in and post one... 
      2. In theory there is a 24 hour span to answer that question before the next question is posted.
      3. Questions are going to be posted sometime before 1 AM Reaper time (US Central).
      4. Everyone is encouraged to suggest future questions to be posted via PM to me... 
      6. If a question is TMI or N/A simply wait for the next question.. ..or post that you decline to answer (clues regarding why can be fun...unless TMI).
      7. Weekend questions may take the form of two or three day quests, starting on Friday or Saturday.

The first question shall be posted after a brief pause to prevent the merging of posts.
    • By ManvsMini
      Happy New Year and welcome to Getting to Know You, January 2021 Edition!

The rules as they currently stand (in addition to all regular forum rules):

1. Every day, or so (unless I am out or ill or something) I will post a question.
      1.5. Should I be unable to post a question for the day a crack team of deputy quisitors, former quisitors, and random forum members are all chomping at the bit to step in and post one... 
      3. Questions are going to be posted sometime before 10:30am Eastern US Daylight time.
      4. Everyone is encouraged to suggest future questions to be posted via PM to me... 

Thank you all for playing along as we get to know the real you... tell me, Malcolm Reynolds, are you familiar with the works of Shan Yu?

The first question shall be posted after a brief pause to prevent the merging of posts.

-MvM
    • By TGP
      Welcome to Getting to Know You, SEPTEMBER** 2020 Edition, **brought to you by the number 7, and the Roman Empire.

The latest iteration of the rules follows (LAST EDIT: 1 SEPT 2020):

1. Every day a question will be posted (but see rule 7). 
      1.5. Should I fail to post a question for the day a crack team of deputy & former Quisitors, will probably step in and post one (but see rule 3.5).
      2. In theory there is a 24 hour span to answer the question of the day before the next question is posted.
      3. Questions are going to be posted as early as 1 Minute after Midnite or as late as Noon CDT (Central Daylight Time, U.S. )
      3.5 @MusicalFeline  is primary backup this month. MF, please note this is a ^ 12 hour span ^ but if I haven't managed by then jump in.
      4. Anyone is encouraged to suggest future questions. Send a PM to the current or any previous Quisitor. 
      6. If a question feels like TMI or N/A simply wait for the next question.. ..or post that you decline to answer (clues regarding why can be fun...unless TMI).
      7. Weekend questions will often be formatted as  two or three day quests, or multi-part related questions, posted on Fridays or Saturdays.

All HAIL W.O.O.F!      

THAT ^ TEXT BASED INCURSION REDACTED BY M.E.O.W     

THE AGENTS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PREVIOUS GRAFFITI  HAVE BEEN APPREHENDED
    • By TGP
      Welcome to the last 2019 instalment of Getting to Know You, December 2019 Edition.

The rules as they currently stand ( ...should you chose to accept them... )

1. Every day, or so (unless I am out or ill or something) I will post a question.
      1.5. Should I be unable to post a question for the day a crack team of deputy quisitors, former quisitors, are likely chomping at the bit to step in and post one... 
      3. Questions will typically be posted between  06:00 hours and 09:00 hours CET. (Central European Time UYC +1)***
      3.5 (...that is 23:00 to 02:00 hours RST Reaper Standard Time UTC -6)***
      4. Everyone is encouraged to suggest future questions to be posted via PM to me or one of the other quisitioners.
      (But my PM box is stuffed full gimme 2-3 days to clear it out...) 
      5. You do not have to answer every question to play.
      6. If a question is TMI or N/A simply wait for the next question.. ..or post that you decline to respond (clues regarding why can be fun...unless TMI).
      7. Weekend questions will often take the form of two day quests, running Saturday to Sunday.

***CLEARLY I WILL ON OCCASION BEND RULES 3. And 3.5.
  • Who's Online   26 Members, 0 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)