Sign in to follow this  
Morihalda

Getting to Know You, June 2018

I can, but I mostly don't. All I have on my desk are a die cast Supermarine Spitfire MK II and  Jareth doll. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, CashWiley said:

My Swingline is black, but it's the correct vintage. I have a label saying 'Please don't take my stapler or I'll burn down the building' on the bottom of it.

My (unverified) understanding is that Swingline actually did not make red staplers at the time the movie was filmed, but the original black/grey model did not show up adequately on camera, so the prop masters painted the thing bright red.

Shortly afterwards, Swingline was so inundated with requests for red staplers that they introduced the Rio Red model in response to demand.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 10

10 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

My (unverified) understanding is that Swingline actually did not make red staplers at the time the movie was filmed, but the original black/grey model did not show up adequately on camera, so the prop masters painted the thing bright red.

Shortly afterwards, Swingline was so inundated with requests for red staplers that they introduced the Rio Red model in response to demand.

This is the story I have heard as well.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Morihalda said:

June 4: Do you/can you display your geekiness at work? What do you have? Posters, Han Solo bobble head, figures that you have painted, etc?

Thanks, Chaoswolf!

While I do have a desk, it's sort of a shared workplace situation. And the nature of my work means that my desk gets pretty crowded with students.

As a result, my geekiness is restricted to wearing goofy/nerdy socks. 

I think I agree with @Glitterwolf that keeping the fun stuff at home works pretty well. Gives me another reason to be excited about heading home each night.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Morihalda said:

June 4: Do you/can you display your geekiness at work? What do you have? Posters, Han Solo bobble head, figures that you have painted, etc?

Thanks, Chaoswolf!

Marginally.  I keep a d20 on my monitor stand.  I've got some only slightly off-mainstream comics on the two corkboards that cover my window.  As I am the front desk for the GIS Labs, though, I can't just let my inner nerd rampage... otherwise, I would probably have enough figures and stuff to field a small scenario / frostgrave game at any given moment... just in case.

6 hours ago, CashWiley said:
6 hours ago, klarg1 said:

I just remembered: One year, the manager that hired me at my last job gave all his direct reports bright, Swingline Rio-Red Office Space staplers. Does that count? If so, I had that too, even if I didn't choose it myself.

My Swingline is black, but it's the correct vintage. I have a label saying 'Please don't take my stapler or I'll burn down the building' on the bottom of it.

Well... now our office goes through Swinglines like they were candy, but we have our vintage one that the first student worker I worked with here had a label that said "Stapler" on the stapler.  And then a smaller label that said "Label" on the label of the label that said "Stapler".  She was big into the office, and so was our boss... so that kind of stuff was allowed, and is still funny.  She's been gone for 4 years now, but her legacy still lives on.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, klarg1 said:

At the time that Office Space was made, Swingline did not make red staplers. They did make a red Swingline Tot, a tiny stapler intended for portable use, but not a full sized desk stapler. The stapler in the movie was simply painted red so's to be an easily spotted McGuffin, due to its role in the film.

Since then, bowing to popular demand, Swingline now makes and sells bright red Swingline office staplers.

Some novelty outfit out there sells Shocking Staplers, which I prefer; they do not staple, but are battery powered and zap the hell out of anyone attempting to use your stapler. I've had several of these. People do NOT walk off with my &%#$^& stapler.

DC-0188_1024x1024.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

18 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Chaoswolf!

I have a case of my best minis on the desk, the Baby Bestiary calendar on the wall, and all of my ReaperCon medals  on my bulletin board

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Chaoswolf!

I work at home.

So yes.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Thanks, Chaoswolf!

You're welcome.::):

My new job is the first place where I've really had the opportunity to do so, and I haven't exactly decided if I will or not. Or how far I will take it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

June 5: What's your favorite season? What do you like about it?

Winter! I love snow, driving in it, skiing on it, looking at it. The colder it is outside, the more I can crank up my woodstove with a nice crackling fire and I spend less money to heat my house than when it's too warm to crank the stove (also, trees are a renewable resource vs natural gas fracking). I love wearing all kinds of layers and accessories, but I run hot so even in the winter I can barely bundle up, in the summer I'm always too hot. The cold kills off all the bugs and nasty critters, so we can go for months with no mosquitoes or other varmints. It also keeps the yahoos in their houses, summer time and every yahoo in the city is out causing trouble or making a racket. Finally, winter is a low-chore season. Sure, I have to rake the roof a couple times a year or run the snowblower...but I love being outside in the snow, so that's ok by me. And compared to the rest of the years, when the list of chores stretches on for years...yeah. Winter is art season. Winter!

Now...I have to go price sheds because it's chore season and I need a new shed. And I need to weed, turn over and fertilize the garden so I can plant. And...so many chores. Looking forward to next winter!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Morihalda said:

Spring. Start of the fishing season!

• Like 7

Hard to say.  I'd say spring, but I'm going to go with winter, due to a few things... 

- it isn't stupidly hot

- you can dress for the weather, instead of bake in the relentless, uncaring heat. 

- no bleeping annoying sun until the wee hours of the night! 

- I get to wear my regular glasses more than my sunglasses when I'm out and about

- snowboarding!

- skiing! 

- no annoying birds outside my window that won't shut up! (okay, they aren't that bad, I just hate it when they are really really noisy like when they have babies) 

- no annoying geese making a mess of the sidewalks everywhere. 

- no annoying geese making rude noises! (ever get scolded by a goose?  Yeah, those noises) 

- no geese babies trying to bungie jump without a cord off of the roof of one of my customers, thereby making me having to take a different path because maintenance had to block off that whole area so someone didn't get dive bombed by a goose child thing testing gravity. 

- bedroom isn't stupidly warm due to the sun

- snowmobiles are AWESOME!!! 

- nobody cares if you want to just relax with a book and a mug of hot chocolate, because half of them are doing the same thing

- did I mention it isn't stupidly hot?  Don't think I have. :p

- it's the only time I'll deal with wearing pants, and my customers will still ask where my shorts are! :p

- who needs to pay for a heating bill when you can just run [email protected] or BOINC and help research at the same time as heating up the room! ^_^ (I don't pay for heat, but still) 

- that blazing inferno of a computer pouring hear across your hands is appreciated in the winter ^_^

- need fresh air?  Go ahead, crack the window open half an inch, said blazing inferno will keep the room warm, prevent the water lines from freezing, and man cold crisp winter air is bliss! 

- friends don't complain my living room is "incredibly dark compared to outside" in the winter, because it's at least brighter than outside ^_^

• Like 6

I used to love Brush Fire Season. It was hot and dry and the sun would often turn red due to the smoke in the air. The smell was great, too, the faint smell of wood smoke subtly overpowered the stench of city and smog.

Now that I've escaped from LA and live in a place with real seasons... I dunno yet. Still waiting to see if we have to deal with Spider Season, my least favorite.

• Like 6